Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
10 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

my partners step mum caught it twice shes just getting over it! wouldn't wish it on anyone   and yes thanks so much for you're input Ive been a member since 2010!

Has she? So it was two seperate infections.

Ive been following since 2007 but not a member and im glad you enjoy my input.

I put my neck on the line when i forecast but i have wide shoulders if it goes wrong and theres more important things in life you can get wrong!

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Has she? So it was two seperate infections.

Ive been following since 2007 but not a member and im glad you enjoy my input.

I put my neck on the line when i forecast but i have wide shoulders if it goes wrong and theres more important things in life you can get wrong!

yes 2 seperate ones said to my other half you don't hear often of people getting it twice but he spoke to her and she confirmed no matter what safety measures you take if rona wants to get you she will! but the end is near vaccine is upon us!

It's still cold here even though the temp is now 3c!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Rain here now (as usual!). Really has been a miserable cold spell so far here. Great to see all the snow pics and videos from you guys even if it does make me really jealous! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
58 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

Hope you recover quickly.

This pic is from the Feb 1991 Easterly, taken in Crossgates Leeds. I do wonder if a morning scene like this will happen again.

img013.thumb.jpg.8fcfd93fc854207d0a787a25b15f1a98.jpg

Don’t remember this as I was only 3, but I do remember the amazing snowstorm of January 1995. Nothing has topped that since.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

@Scott Ingham hope you feel better soon matey!

Looking forward to the next few days in here, hopefully we'll all be seeing more snow ☃️?️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

Don’t remember this as I was only 3, but I do remember the amazing snowstorm of January 1995. Nothing has topped that since.

The 1995 cold spell hardly gets a mention in topics about previous winters, we had snow on ground for weeks. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
28 minutes ago, Bradowl said:

The 1995 cold spell hardly gets a mention in topics about previous winters, we had snow on ground for weeks. 

Was that the January where we had an epic fall of snow where there was like 2ft of snow in 1night in late January I think it was.

I remember an epic snowfall 1 night when I was a kid in January where we had the mother of all snowstorms in 1 night the snow was relentless huge flakes and ended up with about 2 ft of snow in Sheffield.

• Like 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

yes 2 seperate ones said to my other half you don't hear often of people getting it twice but he spoke to her and she confirmed no matter what safety measures you take if rona wants to get you she will! but the end is near vaccine is upon us!

It's still cold here even though the temp is now 3c!!

I know thats my attitude if your meant to get it you will get it! Is she okay? Im okay mate just that horrible feeling of fatigue and a tight chest! 

3 degrees in England at mid day is cold though int it all said and done! And today looks the warmest day of the week! 

Posted
Just now, Scott Ingham said:

I know thats my attitude if your meant to get it you will get it! Is she okay? Im okay mate just that horrible feeling of fatigue and a tight chest! 

3 degrees in England at mid day is cold though int it all said and done! And today looks the warmest day of the week! 

Yeh shes 72 but shes a young 72 runs her own business in barnsley town centre, shes has no underlying health issues but this has knocked her and same with other halfs dad he was healthy but he's still got no taste or smell after 3 weeks  

well according to the BEEP 3C is MILD! lol winds me up when they say milder 3-4 its still cold! I've got my heating on 30c and I'm still shivering my hands are like ice

I hope you are on the mend soon! hopefully this weather ride can take you're mind off it tooo

Posted
38 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

@Scott Ingham hope you feel better soon matey!

Looking forward to the next few days in here, hopefully we'll all be seeing more snow ☃️?️

Thanks my mate! 

Im sure i will do soon! Im looking forward to living in the regional threads away from the mad room till a run comes out! I might not even go in there you wait this long for snow its about enjoying it innit! 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Yeh shes 72 but shes a young 72 runs her own business in barnsley town centre, shes has no underlying health issues but this has knocked her and same with other halfs dad he was healthy but he's still got no taste or smell after 3 weeks  

well according to the BEEP 3C is MILD! lol winds me up when they say milder 3-4 its still cold! I've got my heating on 30c and I'm still shivering my hands are like ice

I hope you are on the mend soon! hopefully this weather ride can take you're mind off it tooo

Ah yeah well thats really good to hear then pal! 

Im glad she sounds like shes not too serious and her other half but it takes time i know that from the first time. Feels like ive heen run down forever cant remember last time i felt healthy hahauaha

Posted
1 minute ago, Scott Ingham said:

Thanks my mate! 

Im sure i will do soon! Im looking forward to living in the regional threads away from the mad room till a run comes out! I might not even go in there you wait this long for snow its about enjoying it innit! 

Yeah your right. We have a brilliant week coming up to enjoy. Seen more snow this past week than all of last winter already so I'm just loving it!

Too many ppl in the mad thread look for breakdowns and negativity and forget what's starting them in the face to come right now!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
12 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

Was that the January where we had an epic fall of snow where there was like 2ft of snow in 1night in late January I think it was.

I remember an epic snowfall 1 night when I was a kid in January where we had the mother of all snowstorms in 1 night the snow was relentless huge flakes and ended up with about 2 ft of snow in Sheffield.

I was out drinking that night and buses went off and it got that bad most of taxis stopped running, ended up walking the couple of miles home through blizzard, I also remember a few flashes of lightening and distant rumbles of thunder. 

Posted

Read this on a weather page on FB

As we go in to the 5th of January then we see the risk of streamers setting up in areas (continuous feeds of precipitation) which could bring some decent snowfall to inland parts of Yorkshire and perhaps south-eastern parts of England (still need to firm up on a few things tomorrow). Whilst it will still remain marginal at times across areas closer to North Sea coasts, we will see the dew points and freezing level drop low enough to support snowfall to lower coastal locations, though ideally 15-20 miles inland would be best.

Looking further ahead, northerlies, northeasterlies, low pressure systems with cold air wrapped round these systems digging south are all in the forecast, it's turning colder and snowier!

135143388_3833871983342377_3023489905822150979_n.png

• Like 2

Posted
36 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

It was the evening of the 25th, we had 40-45cm in just a few hours in Leeds. Cars were abandoned and stranded people had to sleep in the West Yorkshire Playhouse overnight.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
38 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

The Great Yorkshire Dump. I remember it well and it's still unbeaten here in Crossgates. Shows what happens when a marginal event turns to be just perfect for snow.

It was raining when I was walking home from school. Dropped my school bag off at home and headed to the papershop. Some sleet was showing in the streetlamps but I thought nothing of it. I had noticed more sleety snow during my paperound but the shock was when I came out of the shop after dropping my bag off. Snow was heavy and settling. I glanced out of the window at home every so often, counting the bricks visible on the chimneys opposite. By 9pm I didn't need to count the bricks as the depth was quite obvious... It brought all the telephone lines down outside too.

That was the 25th. The following days were spent dodging roof avalanches on the paperound. By the weekend most of the snow had already fallen from alot of roofs which made things fun...

To this day I wonder how rare an event it was and how often it has happened in the UK past.

Edited by Stelmer

Posted

Independent article from 1995 on the blizzard:

Four killed as blizzards sweep the North

Major roads reopened in Yorkshire last night, 24 hours after blizzards in which four men died and thousands of travellers were stranded.

West Yorkshire police said three of the four victims appeared to have abandoned their cars, two dying in the suburbs of Leeds, another in Halifax. The fourth man died at Boothtown, near Halifax, while pushing a car.

The heavy snow, which fell on a band of central northern England from the Mersey to the Humber, condemned many to accommodation ranging from the spartan to the exotic.

The M62 became impassable on Wednesday night, severing the last trans-Pennine route four hours after the blizzards began. Many motorists west of the road's summit spent the night at Birch service station, near Rochdale. But hundreds had to sleep in theirvehicles, sustained by visits from police cars bearing gallons of soup. More than 3,000 vehicles were still stranded on the motorway yesterday morning. Police said last night that the motorway was open, but still difficult to negotiate.

The Snake and Woodhead passes had been closed by dusk on Wednesday in conditions described by South Yorkshire and Derbyshire police as atrocious. Temperatures on the Pennines fell below zero last night, turning roads to ice as police from Barnsley were still helping drivers to recover vehicles.

"About a dozen lorry drivers stayed with their vehicles, which meant we could help them. Those that were abandoned meant the snow ploughs and gritters could not do their work," a police spokesman said.

In Bradford, the Anglican cathedral gave refuge to despairing travellers. In Leeds, the audience at West Yorkshire Playhouse emerged from the world premiere of a play called The Winter Guest to find themselves cut off. Playhouse staff decided the show must go on.

"Luvvies for Blizzard Relief" found camp beds for 300 and entertained them with a medley of musical hits until 3am. "The stars were marvellous," a Playhouse spokesman said. "They helped wherever they could, and kept everyone's spirits up."

Authors could have drawn inspiration from the diverse real- life cast assembled at the Wagon and Horses pub above Sheffield, where more than 100 stranded travellers spent the night.

"We had lorry drivers, school children who had come out for a walk, a party of physiotherapists from Manchester, and even one German," Rachel Batty, the landlady, said. "It was like New Year's Eve."

At Pendle, Lancashire, 22 children and three adults who had been at a ski school were brought to safety by a fell rescue team.

Public transport was widely disrupted on Wednesday night and roads were chaotic, with five-hour journeys commonplace for commuters accustomed to a 30-minute drive. The centres of Barnsley, Bradford, Halifax, Huddersfield, Leeds and Sheffield endured protracted gridlocks as the blizzard arrived in time for rush hour. Leeds motorists blamed gritters, who had concentrated their salt on high ground west of the city. In Sheffield, traffic was still trailing out of the city centre at 11pm. On the city's many steep hills, groups of enterprising youths charged 50p each for pushing slithering vehicles. Fashionable four-wheel drive vehicles were stuck in the jams with humble Fiestas and Cavaliers. Police said drivers of the 4x4s had ignored road closures, only to be thwarted by drifts - or abandoned Fiestas. On one of the main commuter roads out of Sheffield, drivers of motionless Range Rovers, Shoguns and Jeeps were taunted by youths singing: "You sad laminate floor, you've got f our wheel drive."

Posted

Wasnt it a moist leaden Atlantic system that moved into colder air above us and pivoted?.

I walked home from work at 2:15pm that day in rain. A 15 min walk home and it became a little sleety.  At about half 3 PM I remember the odd massive flake coming down in the sleet and thought woooooohooooooooo. Chaos ensued for the next 5 hours or so. Thick nonstop snow moving between heavy fine stuff to massive thick flakes on n off. Probably the best snowfall(ratio) for me ever in a short space of time and that includes 87 and 91although they were special.

Hope the covid clears up quick.

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

I remember that snow storm so vivid from my child hood!! Had the classic boom box playing music while watching the snow drifting up and down the road then power being knocked off and this was only at 40m asl in Doncaster. Was so amazing to watch 

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, joggs said:

Wasnt it a moist leaden Atlantic system that moved into colder air above us and pivoted?.

I walked home from work at 2:15pm that day in rain. A 15 min walk home and it became a little sleety.  At about half 3 PM I remember the odd massive flake coming down in the sleet and thought woooooohooooooooo. Chaos ensued for the next 5 hours or so. Thick nonstop snow moving between heavy fine stuff to massive thick flakes on n off. Probably the best snowfall(ratio) for me ever in a short space of time and that includes 87 and 91although they were special.

Hope the covid clears up quick.

Yeah it was a classic battleground event.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

The events surrounding the snow is in this thread:

• Thanks 2

Posted

Another batch of showers moving in but it's now 3c here. All the snow from yesterday is gone now....

It's it from this evening we should see snow coming back into the mix?

Posted

How far north and east the less cold air pushes won`t be known until nearer the time but it looks very temporary according to this and a very decent update for our region there IMO

Ignore time stamp its just been updated now

Friday 8 Jan - Sunday 17 Jan

Some outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow are likely across central areas initially, with wintry showers also feeding in from the North Sea. Through Friday precipitation will be tending to decay in both of these regions, with cold, fine and dry conditions becoming more widespread. Over the weekend conditions across the country are likely to turn more unsettled with cloud and patchy rain spreading east and temperatures recovering to near average for many, by this time the risk of sleet and snow will most likely become confined to the north of the country. Through the following week rather cold conditions are most likely to re-establish nationwide, with northern and western areas continuing to see frosts.

Updated: 04:00 (UTC) on Sun 3 Jan 2021

Edited by Always a red