Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted

Early morning Beeb forecast just now confirmed what Scott said about to warm for snow today but as of early hours tomorrow that changes back again to much better conditions for snow etc and just like yesterday mentioned bands of heavy sleet/snow showers over mainly our region this week and bands of rain/snow later in the week generally so we should be in a good place for us to get snow from those also although will leave that for the more knowledgeable re dp’s and thicknesses etc

Keep the faith all

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, LeeSnowFan said:

oh dear get ready to catch some toys being thrown over in the mod thread today!

The ECM and UKMO are a bit disapointing this morning though mate.

That aside they can still change on the next output  And this morning's gfs has improved our snow chances mon ~ wed.

Now occasional -9 uppers showing across our region, I think average upper has gone down to -7.75 now  the balance has just been tipped.

And also good precipitation now shown across our region on tuesday.

GFSOPUK00_54_2.png

gfs-2-60 (1).png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Harsh Climate said:

The ECM and UKMO are a bit disapointing this morning though mate.

That aside they can still change on the next output  And this morning's gfs has improved our snow chances mon ~ wed.

Now occasional -9 uppers showing across our region, I think average upper has gone down to -7.75 now  the balance has just been tipped.

And also good precipitation now shown across our region on tuesday.

GFSOPUK00_54_2.png

gfs-2-60 (1).png

I understand but its for 10 days ahead lots of changes can happen as we have seen also like you say we have plenty chances this week so we should just enjoy the next few days ahead we've have more snow in last 2 weeks than we did all last winter lol

Posted

With 16 years of model watching this volatile flip flopping with the charts always happens with a SSW. I remember the days where upgrades kicked in 72hours in. I would of thought people on the model thread remember all these scenarios.

12z will look different again!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Craigers said:

With 16 years of model watching this volatile flip flopping with the charts always happens with a SSW. I remember the days where upgrades kicked in 72hours in. I would of thought people on the model thread remember all these scenarios.

12z will look different again!

I have noticed those writing alot off are newer members /trolls it seems

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

I understand but its for 10 days ahead lots of changes can happen as we have seen also like you say we have plenty chances this week so we should just enjoy the next few days ahead we've have more snow in last 2 weeks than we did all last winter lol

Yeah some good points there lee, we must be grateful.

Just I prefer seeing a snowfall when I know there's no end in sight of the cold and more snow could be on the way. Yes I'm a greedy.........  

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Anyone getting snow/sleet out of the current showers? Cold rain here. I'm intruiged by the Yorkshire band of localised heavy snow the BBC mentioned this morning for Monday/Tuesday. Anyone got any clue where it will be? Past experience leads me to guess at Sheffield. We don't seem to do well for streamers in West Yorkshire  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

I'll answer my own question, the heavy part of this current shower turned to sleet with some decent flakes mixed in. I'm at approx 85m asl so I would have thought proper snow above 200m, certainly above 250-300m.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Some sleet showers here as well however lookign the radar it's looks like this band of showers will be the last for a while as the activity dies quite a bit behind this line.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Heavy shower started as rain, then changed to sleet and now looks to be wet snow.  

Most of yesterdays snow is now disappearing, particulalry in the town cente, with just grass, pavements and some side streets still retaining some slushy cover.  

Looking interesting from tonight onwards for next few days with increasingly wintery showers coming from the East/North East and then later in the week a chance of a more organised band of snow moving into cold air from the North West.

As others have said, much better than last year for certain.

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Like 1

Posted

Local forecast has rain this afternoon.  Since we have colder uppers pushing in by then I don't quite by that one.

Posted

Showers to weak here to do that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Sleet to this 

You must be on slightly higher ground to me in Barnsley.  Back to sleet again here and it didn’t snow as heavy as that where I am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
13 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Local forecast has rain this afternoon.  Since we have colder uppers pushing in by then I don't quite by that one.

Neither do I considering it has been sleeting/snowing in the Rother Valley already.

Posted
2 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

You must be on slightly higher ground to me in Barnsley.  Back to sleet again here and it didn’t snow as heavy as that where I am.

Yes, even 30m can make a difference when these showers hit. At 150m+ should be all snow under heavy ppn. 

• Like 3

Posted

Heavy snow with big flakes in Barnsley ❄️

• Like 1