Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted

Strange today in that about 2pm, when we had maximum snow depth of 3.5cm, looking across to the NW to the slopes of Otley Chevin , , the fields were green, no snow, but roofs and fields were white looking east towards other parts of North Leeds.  Normally the other way around.

What seemed to be key was getting a good covering around 11am when the air was colder, we were really lucky we got caught by some heavy snow, then when it got a bit warmer the snow still settled as everywhere was already covered.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tim A said:

Strange today in that about 2pm, when we had maximum snow depth of 3.5cm, looking across to the NW to the slopes of Otley Chevin , , the fields were green, no snow, but roofs and fields were white looking east towards other parts of North Leeds.  Normally the other way around.

What seemed to be key was getting a good covering around 11am when the air was colder, we were really lucky we got caught by some heavy snow, then when it got a bit warmer the snow still settled as everywhere was already covered.

Interesting post i was in a very unlucky spot today like you say normal areas what do well didn’t and the roles got switched. Interesting how it panned out. Hopefully more snow this coming week for us all.

• Like 1

Posted

22 minutes ago, Tim A said:

These were the scenes in Horsforth same scene's in Cookridge as well.  But interestingly when you look under the Otley tag on Instagram there is barely a dusting even on the Chevin. 

Screenshot_20210102-205029~2.png

Otley Chevin view....

574379818_Screenshot_20210102-2054312.thumb.png.c7b3f6e0672459fe725c41aea91befde.png

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 4

Posted

Yeah it was crap in Guiseley really, snowed for hours but absolutely nothing settled, it’s just a horrible ice now. Yet a couple of miles away it was whiteover! 

Edited by Summer18

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Lol...

i have just had a right ol chuckle just then watching the wheel on itv with a look north weatherman on it

the question was:-

according to the met office data,how long does it take for a raindrop to hit the ground

10 seconds

2 minutes

15 minutes 

or 30 minutes

i guessed 2 minutes and the weatherman said 15 minutes lolol!!!

the right answer was 2 minutes.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted

I don't feel comfortable posting someones kids on here. But under the cookridge tag if you swipe to the second to last picture you can see the depth of around 2-3cm 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJjF7lsJAUl/?igshid=4j8k8obtfsfh

Posted
4 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

These were the scenes in Horsforth same scene's in Cookridge as well.  But interestingly when you look under the Otley tag on Instagram there is barely a dusting even on the Chevin. 

Screenshot_20210102-205029~2.png

Tell me about it, when the snow arrived in from the North east around 11am it was only light/moderate in otley giving a dusting.  Just north towards Pateley Bridge got paggered.  

Then second lot of showers came in, where sleet/ wet snow...

Drove through cookridge on way to kippax to see what it was like as looking for a house there and was a winter wonderland! Another world, piling it down with snow with a good covering, that was about 3:30 

Posted
1 minute ago, Harsh Climate said:

Tell me about it, when the snow arrived in from the North east around 11am it was only light/moderate in otley giving a dusting.  Just north towards Pateley Bridge got paggered.  

Then second lot of showers came in, where sleet/ wet snow...

Drove through cookridge on way to kippax to see what it was like as looking for a house there and was a winter wonderland! Another world, piling it down with snow with a good covering, that was about 3:30 

Could be worse. 

Could be stuck in Tier 4 London right in central London by the Thames where there is zero chance of snow falling with the current synoptics. 

I'm having to enjoy the pics on instagram.

Anyways this was the scene in Headingley.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

It's definitely melting now. Really annoying. The temps since it stopped snowing today are no higher than they were this week and we held onto last Monday nights snowfall until new years Day!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

Could be worse. 

Could be stuck in Tier 4 London right in central London by the Thames where there is zero chance of snow falling with the current synoptics. 

I'm having to enjoy the pics on instagram.

Anyways this was the scene in Headingley.

Yeah good point that. I've seen 3 minnie snow events so far this cold spell and 2 were quite a surprise. Even though little settled gotta be thankfull I probably seen more than a fair few people on net weather.

• Like 1

Posted

This was Cookridge earlier. Still similar although slight thaw especially near houses.

IMG20210102140024.jpg

Edited by Tim A
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim A said:

This was Cookridge earlier.

IMG20210102140024.jpg

Are you at the bottom of top of the hill ? 

Posted
Just now, Cheese Rice said:

Are you at the bottom of top of the hill ? 

Top, just slightly down from the water tower, Cookridge side of it. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tim A said:

Top, just slightly down from the water tower, Cookridge side of it. 

When I'm in Leeds I'm at the top of Tinshill Road as well. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Cheese Rice said:

When I'm in Leeds I'm at the top of Tinshill Road as well. 

Ah very close then. I remember your pics from 2008-10, when I lived in Idle thinking wow there is lots of snow in Cookridge. Always does well when wind is from the east or NE . One of the reasons I bought a house here.

• Like 1

Posted

What an let down here so far just cold rain so frustrating everything just seems to be against us at min. Everyone saying the North sea to warm but temps are between 7c and 8 c thought that was normal for this time of year? i know other factors involved aswell. Bit of an poor show thus far prefer it to be frosty and sunny. 

Posted

What's holding me going back to Leeds for an extended period of time is that the upper air is really not that cold. 

While it's true that inland areas of Yorkshire have gotten lucky with snow it's mostly marginal relying on evaporating cooling. 

The current synoptics just aren't going to cut it for low lying areas and there isn't much to suggest any more than 1-3cm of snow even for high ground, in the form of hit and miss showers. 

The -10 850's easterly is what we are after for it to be memorable, -5/-6 850's just won't cut it. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Harsh Climate said:

Yeah good point that. I've seen 3 minnie snow events so far this cold spell and 2 were quite a surprise. Even though little settled gotta be thankfull I probably seen more than a fair few people on net weather.

Yeah it's been miles better than last Winter already. The only snow we had was one morning (Feb I think?) and we were away in Lincoln  overnight. We drove back in the late morning all that was left were piles of slush!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Tim A said:

Ah very close then. I remember your pics from 2008-10, when I lived in Idle thinking wow there is lots of snow in Cookridge. Always does well when wind is from the east or NE . One of the reasons I bought a house here.

I'm down the hill near Tinshill club. It's amazing what difference that height can make driving to the top of Tinshill Lane. But even where I am at 124m we often do better than lots of places in Leeds. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Cheese Rice said:

What's holding me going back to Leeds for an extended period of time is that the upper air is really not that cold. 

While it's true that inland areas of Yorkshire have gotten lucky with snow it's mostly marginal relying on evaporating cooling. 

The current synoptics just aren't going to cut it for low lying areas and there isn't much to suggest any more than 1-3cm of snow even for high ground, in the form of hit and miss showers. 

The -10 850's easterly is what we are after for it to be memorable, -5/-6 850's just won't cut it. 

We will comfortably average -8 monday to wednesday. Thats a 16 degree temp differential and for me it will see us catch some very large showers. Also unlike today well see sub zero dew points.

I would be coming if it was me in your shoes

• Like 1

Posted

Morning, still good snow cover here although some very slow melt has occured. We are at 240m in the Pennines, minimal warming out here in the countryside.

I expect snow melt today, especially if it rains. I do expect more snow today in the showers but likely 300m+ which is the usual snow line around here in marginal conditions. It will be building up in some parts around here now, especially a bit further north (Hebden/Haworth northwards) as they had more snow last week and yesterday.

The first snow fell here yesterday at about 12.30/1pm and settled straight away from that, we had frozen ground and minimal warmth from the sun.

• Like 2