Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted

For me here in NW Leeds at 190masl it has been an ok cold spell so far, quite typical of what we experience most years.   Still have 2cm snow cover on the grass and a mix of ice, snow and bare patches on roofs, pavements and the side road.   Looks very wintry indeed outside and yesterday was very pleasing with no thaw at all and high of just 0.7c. Today may be similar . Unfotunutely will likely thaw tonight/tomorrow before the next batch of colder weather 

Can't really get that excited about the Sunday to Tuesday easterly though, so marginal.  With pressure of 1025mb and a strong easterly wind i think we need -8c at 850hpa level as a minimum, need some upgrades.

Edited by Tim A

Posted
19 minutes ago, Danns said:

Hi all, Long term lurker, but decided to jump on board this year as feels and certainly looks different in terms of the outputs from the models so couldn’t resist. Thanks for everyone’s contribution still learning and some of the learning that I have done is down to you guys. Ta Very much! 

Just on the above, I too can not trust these forecasted temps last night is a prime example according to forecast should have been -1 it is currently -4.2 with a dewpoint of -5.4. Not what I expected.

Off the back of this I a have question, how does this effect the models? In 2 hours time the temperature in my locale should be 3 degrees, now, for my learning eyes that’s quite a temperature swing in a very short amount of time. The forecast also suggests a rain shower during this time period those figures don’t look marginal and I’m yet to see any background signs that will help push these temperatures up so quickly. So if precipitation falls as snow when a model has predicted rain how does this effect surface temperatures, dew-points, cooling/warming and any other background signals? I know this has happened already  across different regions so is something I would like to look into in relation to the accuracy of model output. Thanks again!

Hi mate and welcome.

I'm certainly not qualified to answer that question in any real depth lol but my opinion is that a recorded temperature of about 2/3c colder one day or more shouldn't really affect the synoptics too much, apart from maybe deeper cold pooling if we had temperatures close to freezing.. Obviously that COULD have a knock o later down the line with our locked in cold pool being tougher to shift as milder air try's to push in. 

The biggest benefit of having much colder temperatures than forecast in a set-up like this is as I've alluded to in a post above:

*colder temps could prime the ground for marginal events in the future, tipping in our balance a marginal event, making it become a good snow event / or freezing rain event (I like them as a postman gives me more chance of getting day off with pay as too unsafe to deliver lol..) as ground/soil temps are lowered.  

*With the colder temps, showers coming in have higher chance of being snow, but say at night time shouldn't have too much of an effect as temperatures rise as showers come in anyway.. 

Hope that is of help, I'm sure though someone with greater technical knowledge can chip in. 

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, Danns said:

Hi all, Long term lurker, but decided to jump on board this year as feels and certainly looks different in terms of the outputs from the models so couldn’t resist. Thanks for everyone’s contribution still learning and some of the learning that I have done is down to you guys. Ta Very much! 

Just on the above, I too can not trust these forecasted temps last night is a prime example according to forecast should have been -1 it is currently -4.2 with a dewpoint of -5.4. Not what I expected.

Off the back of this I a have question, how does this effect the models? In 2 hours time the temperature in my locale should be 3 degrees, now, for my learning eyes that’s quite a temperature swing in a very short amount of time. The forecast also suggests a rain shower during this time period those figures don’t look marginal and I’m yet to see any background signs that will help push these temperatures up so quickly. So if precipitation falls as snow when a model has predicted rain how does this effect surface temperatures, dew-points, cooling/warming and any other background signals? I know this has happened already  across different regions so is something I would like to look into in relation to the accuracy of model output. Thanks again!

Hi Danns , welcome.

Alex Deakin explains it well in the above clip. There is warm air close to the occluded front that drifts down from the North this evening . Therefore despite the very cold starting surface temps ( -3 her now at 9 o clock not , 0 as the Met O app states ) it is a very marginal situation and is likely to be rain / sleet unless you have altitude above 200m or more. 

regards JS

• Thanks 1

Posted

Still pretty cold now this late in the morning. Been some time seeing temps like this in South Yorkshire. Min temp of -3.5c

20201231_093921.thumb.jpg.55bef4de4210cf4e966bed1c0350e75f.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

It got down to a vaguely nippy -3 here last night, probably a degree colder out in the sticks as opposed to town, which has led to a nice frost on the roofs this morning. Not much excitement for us in the lowland east of the patch over the next few days - certainly the imminent easterly looks drab unless you're well away from the sea and on a hill. I'm starting to think that working above the Arctic Circle has ruined British winters for me.

Edited by Just Before Dawn

Posted
8 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

I'd take that tad and wager that the pennine foothills may be slightly better from an imby point of view.

Leeds Bradford Airport is 208m above sea level though so probably one of the highest points in Leeds.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Annoyingly I can see the snow showers to the west.

Even more annoyingly the prec tonight dies before it gets to us.  ECM still cold for the foreseeable GFS just coming out but still looking overall on the cold side.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Lovely and cold still out there. Got down to -4.1 here last night. Coldest night in a long time here

Posted

Well I think the GFs 6z is a big upgrade regarding the easterly for Yorkshire. 36-48 hour window monday ~ tuesday upers of -7 with occasional -8. Would just tip the balance in our favour with some decent accumulations! Yes milder uppers on te way wednesday but would only be short lived.

GFSOPUK06_96_2.png

GFSOPUK06_132_2.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

image.thumb.png.7ed2111842dc340b6fb5028d7c774df6.png

They'll do for me

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!
1 hour ago, Harsh Climate said:

Well I think the GFs 6z is a big upgrade regarding the easterly for Yorkshire. 36-48 hour window monday ~ tuesday upers of -7 with occasional -8. Would just tip the balance in our favour with some decent accumulations! Yes milder uppers on te way wednesday but would only be short lived.

GFSOPUK06_96_2.png

GFSOPUK06_132_2.png

I still think with the wind direction, air source and SSTs we’d need -8c uppers or below for anywhere near the coast, -7c probably won’t do it. Ok for areas well inland and over hills though, if any precip makes it that far. 

UKV highlights this for Monday evening:

266DE976-6BC2-453E-95C3-EEEAC2726FA9.jpeg

Edited by Cold Winter
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 hours ago, Tim A said:

For me here in NW Leeds at 190masl it has been an ok cold spell so far, quite typical of what we experience most years.   Still have 2cm snow cover on the grass and a mix of ice, snow and bare patches on roofs, pavements and the side road.   Looks very wintry indeed outside and yesterday was very pleasing with no thaw at all and high of just 0.7c. Today may be similar . Unfotunutely will likely thaw tonight/tomorrow before the next batch of colder weather 

Can't really get that excited about the Sunday to Tuesday easterly though, so marginal.  With pressure of 1025mb and a strong easterly wind i think we need -8c at 850hpa level as a minimum, need some upgrades.

Agreed, it’s been an ‘average’ cold spell - what you’d expect most years. Snow cover persists in shaded areas, several nights in a row below freezing (-4C this morning), highs of 2-3C, daily means just below freezing.

Edited by cheese

Posted
2 hours ago, LeeSnowFan said:

for  us not in the know what does it say

The mean stays below -5c uppers so very nice gfs 6z if you want to keep the cold !!!

Posted

Still some snow cover on the Pennines near to Sowerby Bridge & Ripponden. A group of us just did a 20mile fell run over the moors up to Haworth, much more snow up on the moors...really beautiful. Had an unexpected snow shower in and amongst the sun and fog. Perfect snow conditions above 300m, especially so up above 375m, no melt at all. The moors are the place to go in the coming days for your snow fix, it won't really melt up there now until something significantly milder comes along. Hopefully a lot more snow on it's way! I've been on here for many years, come back each winter...I'm used to the disappointment of model watching now, to take nothing as gospel until it's 24/48hrs away.

Posted
14 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Everytime something good shows in model thread its always 10+ days away don't know why they bother by time it gets nearer its wattered down!

Yeh I always like the cold spell is nailed on and then they show a T240 chart which then promptly disappear the next run followed by the toys out of the pram. The trend is still for cold weather.

It's a fairly feeble cold spell and far from a classic but better then a kick in gonads. It may yet turn into a classic.

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Yeh I always like the cold spell is nailed on and then they show a T240 chart which then promptly disappear the next run followed by the toys out of the pram. The trend is still for cold weather.

It's a fairly feeble cold spell and far from a classic but better then a kick in gonads. It may yet turn into a classic.

I guess it's alot better than we had last year so can't grumble too much! still all to play for!

Posted

Colder than last night here at the moment. Only got -1 to beat though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Latest runs are a bit better for us for Monday/Tuesday. T850 temps down to -8c on Tuesday, UKMO output is best in this regard. Should be enough to see some falling snow in any showers. Pressure fairly high though by this point so would imagine shower activity would be weakening a bit. Either way - I’m a bit more optimistic than I was this morning... think I woke up in a bad mood! 

Temp here now is -0.7c already. Had a nice walk down by the river earlier. Areas that had flooded were still frozen over with thick sheets of ice. Can’t complain at that. Great winter’s day.

A64DF427-FBF1-46AB-8449-40433F3F99D7.jpeg

3AF19024-48E7-4F5F-9192-2819D76D5A00.jpeg

D12582C8-5B57-468C-AD26-286C3804B185.jpeg

C2FDC4CE-BF3A-42DA-ABAC-3FBB5BD81E92.jpeg

253BDAF6-3A78-439B-AA72-F841D66D61B3.jpeg

9731CACC-312F-4859-BF55-5C8EEFBB0491.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

Barely has got above 1C for the last 3 days here, ice and snow still on the ground. Freezing fog today after a sunny start, definitely the coldest it has felt for at least 2 years 

Edited by Summer18

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Still a chance we'll see something tonight. Depends how well it holds together on its way down....