Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Staying cold into the new year

Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
37 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Now my memory is not what it used to be but I do not remember any forecast showing ice days for London’s with maybe the exception of one or maybe two Operational Runs.

the only watering down i have seen are peoples OTT expectations and this only feeds the usual “I’m sorry to say but” gang that constantly wants to police what people expect 

Yes the London combined temperature ensembles for one have been pretty consistent.Compare the graph from the 22/12 so it's been pretty much what we have seen up to now.Today's projections along side.

1818795051_ensemble-tt6-london(1).thumb.gif.2d564e126d5a425842aa708898553f29.gif1631626528_ensemble-tt6-london(5).thumb.gif.2c3f7fa7d547613917f8bb2ba15bb1f5.gif

Running steady between 2-4c max' since Christmas,actually today looks the coldest so far in this spell which is now a week long already.

Note the uncertainty towards the end where we have a few mild runs skewing the trend up a little.GFS 0z operational a mild outlier right at the end.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Don’t you realise the air travels 1,200 miles? Theres plenty of distance for that air to cool It has no semblance to origins, and at present I think models aren’t capturing that. You’d think some people think it’s going to be a tropical easterly.

There was also evidently modification in early Feb 2009 very wintry for most of country the Siberian link was severed very quickly. 

A5D2B537-62B4-421F-87C2-6C913A988600.thumb.png.31955f65b29737f915a1dee5a0c20b93.png

The airmass will become modified and whilst it’s true to say a tropical origin airmass won’t feel tropical in the part of the atmosphere where we live it can and will often retain some of its characteristics higher up. Thereby you can get rain with temps that should support snow because of a warmer layer higher up. Freezing rain is a good example of this. The models will be factoring these things in but at this point whether they are right or not is unknown. I suspect it will be mostly wet but I’d not be surprised to see some snow mixed in at times and maybe even some proper bursts of wet snow. Maybe higher ground to the NW of London might get a wet covering but for most it’s just wet and miserable in all likelihood unless things change.

• Like 3

Posted

A few posts about model verification on the last few pages,and it seems not much has changed over the last few years with the ECM still top followed by UKMO and the GEM (CMC) and then GFS.

WWW.EMC.NCEP.NOAA.GOV

cor_day6_HGT_P500_G2NHX.thumb.png.401716baf917853154d856eb0544d311.png

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Bloody Greeks and Turks 

Still managing to chicken up our cold spells lol!!

Banter aside, I'm hoping UKMO has this.

Eyes down for the 12zs

We will know by this evening whether ukmo is correct or not!!differences are quite early at 72 to 96 hours!!!the ukmo might be colder but high is further south slightly so not sure how much precipitation there would be!!!gfs will probably give us a clue!!

• Like 3

Posted
37 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Don’t you realise the air travels 1,200 miles? Theres plenty of distance for that air to cool It has no semblance to origins, and at present I think models aren’t capturing that. You’d think some people think it’s going to be a tropical easterly.

There was also evidently modification in early Feb 2009 very wintry for most of country the Siberian link was severed very quickly. 

A5D2B537-62B4-421F-87C2-6C913A988600.thumb.png.31955f65b29737f915a1dee5a0c20b93.png

Also the thicknesses in 2009 were below 520 dam. Next week they are 525/530 .....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, winterof79 said:

Crikey you'd think it was warming up for days reading this lot. 

Have the Beeb mentioned how long for, if they get it correct. 

Blink and you will miss it. 

anim_cly3.gif

BBC suggest a STONKING high of 4c for me in Essex all the way through til 13th

let’s see what 12z say coming up soon!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Methinks some of you are missing the point .......’get the cold in and the snow will follow’

so we’ve got the cold in 

the forecast temps quoted above show that 

but the vast majority of the precip over the next  week (ignoring the disturbances before the weekend and the odd surprise before the higher Dp’s arrive which away from the high ground and Scots amount to little) is going to be rain.  it’s just frustration from many posters that the great looking charts are going to deliver very little and they now have to go through some v cold rain before they can have another ticket to the raffle. 

of course some have had a decent snowfall this week and should be grateful for it but as was trailed as the week began, the majority will not. 

all the above ignores the Scots who, as they keep telling us, live in a different country! 

My question is how long are the higher DPs forecast? 

Doesn't look longer than 24 hrs before a  colder airmass mixes from the NW. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Thunderstorms. Heatwaves. Anything extreme.

So from what I’m seeing it looks like a very slight relaxation of the cold. But definitely nothing mild showing on the models whatsoever. Let’s hope the ukmo run from this morning is on the money. But even the gfs & ecm aren’t particularly that bad. So from my very little knowledge I have compared to many on here it a slight relaxation of cold next week before we then head back into the freezer with snow opportunity’s for many of us what’s not to like definitely a far cry from the last few winters. 

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

My question is how long are the higher DPs forecast? 

Doesn't look longer than 24 hrs before a  colder airmass mixes from the NW. 

I posted the Luton Dp’s a while back - I think it’s around three days 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
20 minutes ago, Northernsnow said:

So from what I’m seeing it looks like a very slight relaxation of the cold. But definitely nothing mild showing on the models whatsoever. Let’s hope the ukmo run from this morning is on the money. But even the gfs & ecm aren’t particularly that bad. So from my very little knowledge I have compared to many on here it a slight relaxation of cold next week before we then head back into the freezer with snow opportunity’s for many of us what’s not to like definitely a far cry from the last few winters

Good Post NS. 

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

I remember that well, i had 10cms of dry snow lying on the 2nd February 2009 but by the 3rd it had gone due to a quick rise in uppers and dew point, I was gutted.

I am not sure why everyone expects every easterly to be very cold, the easterly of early January 1963 became very modified in the New Year leading to a widespread thaw North of Manchester due to a rise in uppers. This lasted several days before Russia sourced Air returned.

Less cold easterlies are nothing new have seen many in the past and next week looks colder than some I have seen.

Anyway all this is just a build up to the post SSW freeze later in January.

Andy

• Like 8

Posted
15 minutes ago, Scandinavian High. said:

Could it be case that we see overnight showers tuning more wintery next week and as day goes on turn more rain sleet.

Seems to be what the latest, slightly updated,met office outlook is suggesting. So could mean getting an overnight snowfall and probably melting a bit in the day, with temps still suppressed.  A few places might get lucky.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

That's all true, Daniel... But as yet, this time, there's been no Siberian link to sever?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
7 minutes ago, AmatuerMet1963 said:

Thanks for all those kind words. i really thought i was going to be sidelined because science and math's are my worst subject where as. Biology, Ecology, ornithology and Oceanography is my forte.  I dont know where the BBC is going with this, but appears to be the wrong way to me!!! Northerly in January, especially with strong wind chill, cant be anything short of freezing can it? An earlier longer range possibility by  Mr Stanous of the BBC remarked that high pressure moving north and low pressure to south suggest a change in wind direction and although he said some east coastal showers may be rain , he didn't commit himself. But noted that wind speed would be stronger. That suggests to me the wind chill effect would actually make it colder.  

In any case my trusty Windy map comes in useful. I checked on its TOS a long time ago on posting, and very nice windy.com assistant said i was fine under their present licensing. You can see my premier member icon on right the little picture of Greta Thumberg.  

By the 8th January Im pretty interested by the huge swathes of Eastern Europe  all pointing their winds from the East. And notice how the , at Vilnius area of Russia pool  of frigid air is joining up near Gadansk, pushing into Europe.   chance of a Bear From East almost to 60% possibility. ECMWF used.  That's about my limit lol...

thanks again, for comments appreciate it

31st december 2020.JPG

Fantastic post thanks for pointing this out.

I was thinking similar. 

Again great post 1st class

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1