Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Staying cold into the new year

Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
7 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

This mornings ECM run had a much better evolution. Here the shortwave deepens into a bowling ball low .  This is always the problem with deep cold hitting the warmer Atlantic .

Luckily we have time for changes and it only starts going pear shaped at day 8.

The problem is day 7. Note the double vortex just off the east coast of GL. We only want one, the southern one...that's the one we need to drop down. Flimsy extensions like this just disrupt the whole play...

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2020123112/ECM1-168.GIF?31-0

Edited by The Eagle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

As soon as it’s cold enough on Tuesday...it’s dry

BA6B1239-2011-4D61-B6D4-A91759CA18D7.jpeg

surely not, those charts must underestimate convective showers, all models do

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Just looking at the d10 gefs and we can see that post-d7 there are multiple options and some are not that good:

gens_panel_tgt7.png London>graphe3_10000_308.6377716064453_146.43630981445312___.thumb.png.fd09d30ce4a1a1e2da279b75a16b6f74.png

No doubt it will change a few times before we get some unity, but this is def a crux point in the timeline. We know that if we can get a clean trough drop over the UK then the 5-7 days in a holding pattern as the NH profile changes could be cold (as per 12z gfs), but we saw with the gfs 6z that poor phasing and we can get a less cold solution; the London ens^^^ highlight this? Lots of finger crossing needed!

• Like 3

Posted

Lol!

We would have killed for that 240hrs ECM chart last winter,cut off LP over the Eastern states,pressure rise over Greenland and the PV kicked to the other side of the hemisphere!

ECH1-240.thumb.png.22c226f04eb9f41468f50b9d24e99028.png

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

So ECM as I tried to explain earlier replicates a classic worse case scenario for a WNAO

lets scrap that!

6815B35D-DD6D-4CB5-A846-1C32FA12BC3F.thumb.jpeg.060cc97c3ac3f375ce630777b26bedd4.jpeg

Thing is Steve I'm not sure its quite the worst case either, there are some runs that believe it or not are worse on the 12z GFS.

P14 springs to mind for example as the same pattern but a worse outcome!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, The Eagle said:

The problem is day 7. Note the double vortex just off the east coast of GL. We only want one, the southern one...that's the one we need to drop down. Flimsy extensions like this just disrupt the whole play...

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2020123112/ECM1-168.GIF?31-0

It’s still redeemable even with the day 7 chart if the block is further north into Greenland but by day 8 the writing is on the wall .

We still have time for changes so I’m not going to get in the emergency staff yet for the NW helpline ! 

• Like 8

Posted
Just now, Cloud 10 said:

Lol!

We would have killed for that 240hrs ECM chart last winter,cut off LP over the Eastern states,pressure rise over Greenland and the PV kicked to the other side of the hemisphere!

ECH1-240.thumb.png.22c226f04eb9f41468f50b9d24e99028.png

Yes, it has potential ...at day 10 I’ve heard that before somewhere purely from a snow perspective it’s a pants run. Much prefer 00z ECM. See below 00z vs 12z snow depth..

C6A3D073-79E4-4F61-93F8-C2012E39A0EC.jpeg

DA0D3559-0FCA-43C6-9025-ABAB4CE949E4.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

If the ECM evolution plays out, I think it'll be one of the most drawn out let downs of the NW era. A true kick in the goolies.

I can't even see a a quick route back to cold from D10, it would waste a few days of peak winter shuffling that pattern into something more conducive. Such fine margins on this and I wish that op run hadn't just happened.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Latest CFS at 240 was similar to the ECM 12z...LP close to the UK, knew it wouldn't follow the 0z. It will be interesting to see where this op run sits in the ensembles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
14 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

As soon as it’s cold enough on Tuesday...it’s dry

BA6B1239-2011-4D61-B6D4-A91759CA18D7.jpeg

If you look closely there's a nice little hint of pink over NW Kent would be the most snow I've seen all winter if that came off hey Mr Murr

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 3

Posted

Let's start off with the positives is that for the most part short term wise is that the ECM is quite similar to the UKMO for quite some time though it decided to play ten pin bowling shortly but having a rolling ball strike the UK

Though the big takeway is that the GFS too is in agreement though they are some differences but the general pattern is the same 

I suppose the increased uncertainty is not only because of the NH Pattern but also because of the SSW 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Yes, it has potential ...at day 10 I’ve heard that before somewhere purely from a snow perspective it’s a pants run. Much prefer 00z ECM. See below 00z vs 12z snow depth..

That reminds me, Tesco has Potential Shovels going cheap just now!:santa-emoji:

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Let's start off with the positives is that for the most part short term wise is that the ECM is quite similar to the UKMO for quite some time though it decided to play ten pin bowling shortly but having a rolling ball strike the UK

Though the big takeway is that the GFS too is in agreement though they are some differences but the general pattern is the same 

I suppose the increased uncertainty is not only because of the NH Pattern but also because of the SSW 

Oh you can sure see the reversal of the trop pattern on that ECM run. Just a shame it happens 1000 miles N of our latitude 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

It’s still redeemable even with the day 7 chart if the block is further north into Greenland but by day 8 the writing is on the wall .

We still have time for changes so I’m not going to get in the emergency staff yet for the NW helpline ! 

On the contrary it's a fanastic run for the simple fact it isn't far away at all. It's also on it's own with that one aspect. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a synoptic outlier there.

• Like 1

Posted

ECM seems just as poor in fl as gfs a ,not worth taking any notice of it,always changes every 12 hours,never see any consistency from it.

At least it looks colder upto the 144 hours,might as well stop its latter output ,why cant gfs ecm stop at 144 hours ,useless after that timeframe anyway whatever they show.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, SLEETY said:

ECM seems just as poor in fl as gfs a ,not worth taking any notice of it,always changes every 12 hours,never see any consistency from it.

At least it looks colder upto the 144 hours,might as well stop its latter output ,why cant gfs ecm stop at 144 hours ,useless after that timeframe anyway whatever they show.

You have a great point there. Its hard not to look beyond the 144hr mark. Much better for our nerves though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Yes models slightly favouring W based -NAO and breakdown with milder air from W/SW from around the 9th but as Nick writes above certainly not a time for raising the white flag as we could easily see blocking reorganise and stay cold  with winds coming from the N to E quadrant.

We have firmed up on the pattern before then though, staying on the cold side and mainly dry for most of England with the chance of rain/sleet/snow pushing in from S/SE around the 6th.

Everything from there depends on how the troughs to our N and S phase which gives a lot of potential outcomes and we likely won't know the details for a few days though whether a breakdown or renewed blocking occurs should become clearer in the next couple of days.

Until then it is just case of strapping in for the roller coaster of operational output but watching the ensembles if we want a les bumpy ride and more informed idea of what is beyond the next twist and turn.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

These snow depth charts really are just a massive waste of time though In reality!

These charts on Monday gave me 15 cms over the past 24hrs, the reality is i haven’t seen a snowflake all week ??‍♂️

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
49 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I think I've found why we're having so much trouble getting snow modelled on an easterly - check out the SST anomalies over the Baltics - 3 or 4C above normal, and no ice cover. 

WWW.OSPO.NOAA.GOV

The Office of Satellite and Product Operations (OSPO) is part of the National Environmental Satellite Data and Information Service (NESDIS). NESDIS is part of the National Oceanic and...

Trace most of the windflows for next week and they come straight over not only the North Sea but the Baltics also. 

ARPEGE gives snow throughout Germany/Poland early next week except on north coasts, so no probs with dew points if winds come from there.

Study ensembles with less Baltic influence and I bet they'll have better dew points.

I'm still in Eastern Latvia until Sunday, had snow cover since 23rd, cross country skiing 4 times, melted a bit then froze over a bit, topped up, snizzle and drizzle, froze over, still soft and snowy underneath, can still ski in parts, more snow due tomorrow evening until Sat afternoon, potentially 12 hours of snow, plus it snowed with little on the radar yet GEM still showed light snow.

As mentioned before, GEM has been spot on 3 or 4 days out with precip type here, even on 19th it showed snow for Christmas.

GFS showing marginal snow/rain even tomorrow here. But it would be good to come back to the UK and have a period of snow watching, albeit right on the seafront in East Sussex where I think once in 5 years there have i only seen a dusting.

20201229_131526.jpg

20201226_160349.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.

Best to wait for the ensembles before making downbeat calls on the Op. Especially after +144h

Operational runs have a greater resolution, which means they pick up more detail than the ensemble members. Sometimes those details are the important details that change the game, sometimes the Op picks up minor details and make a needless big deal about them.

The difference between Op (high res) and control (low res) will show if details matter in this run (they probably will in these chaotic circumstances).

Edited by Cold Winter Night
  • Like 4