Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Staying cold into the new year

Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

Still no nailed on widespread snow event 

Suspect some will fall next week and there will be accumulations in places but uppers and dewpoints remain the main issue. 

On that point.  I checked for eastern kink.. around 96.  Hard to tell, but on the 850s the green stopped about 100 miles further south in Poland little steps and if we can squeeze another bit in the morning runs we might just tip the balance for next week.  Certainly too be continued....

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Griff said:

GFSP is great for Greenland, shame we aren't getting the goodies... 

Now I understand west based concerns, very well demonstrated on 18z.

Looks ok to me away from the beaches of Cornwall? I’m quite shallow...all I want is snow ??‍♂️

227156C5-5555-44A0-84C5-726BA1E6EE50.png

CAC54BA7-651C-4D9F-A7DE-02535DDCC795.png

3C12429A-9215-4C18-9A61-AD781C9134D8.png

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

Of course. 

But that's usually down to the strength of the sun which causes additional energy. 

Null and void this time of year. 

Doesn't need to be strong LP. just needs to be elongated in a way that would eventually promote a SW type airflow.

Thats what way the Para GFS goes deeper in FI as the upper blocking morphs into a very west based -ve NAO type pattern, so much so its almost not a -ve NAO anymore as a weak lobe of the PV slips into its wake.

image.thumb.png.4cc2835695fd4fa56c011d4e3f468cc4.png

Thats a far from unlikely pattern and one that the ensembles have been constantly flagging up for some time. Very long way away still of course, just showing a possiblity!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
2 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

See you next year polar vortex

E7657AC6-C9C6-4FDE-AA10-C5995B29BDFF.png

We don't want him to ever come back!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual works for me...!

So where is the “POMIC” (point of maximum interest in charts) now? 6th Jan..?

• Like 1

Posted

See that purple blob with black in the middle? 

Coming this way on the 18z..  

All academic but fun to look at all the same....

gfsnh-0-366.thumb.png.cd72b8b0e385617db33e8a6b83c8bc06.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Great pub run, pretty much the best case snowy scenario I described earlier when the troughs phase.

The only reason it isn't a COBRA run in FI is because each time we were about draw in -10/-12 uppers the flow switched from N to E or E to N stopping the flow and introducing more warm sectors.

gfsnh-0-192.png?18gfsnh-1-192.png?18

gfsnh-0-270.png?18gfsnh-1-282.png?18

If the synoptic comes off and either or both the Northerly and Easterly components are sustained another 48 hours then it will satisfy even the Inuk's among our number.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 7

Posted
5 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Looks ok to me away from the beaches of Cornwall? I’m quite shallow...all I want is snow ??‍♂️

227156C5-5555-44A0-84C5-726BA1E6EE50.png

Yes, and no, if GFS solution is preferred

Any support in the anomaly charts etc for this, I thought Greenland high and block to lock off the Atlantic but keep things over us. 

GFSP timely reminder of potential calamity in FI

gfsnh-0-294 (2).png

gfsnh-1-294 (2).png

Edited by Griff
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
15 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

God I hope its right Steve 

BOOM!

image.thumb.png.0a92856b47dfb356b410165dd7c39b71.pngimage.thumb.png.1c0db008095bc415fc321230fbcabbc2.pngimage.thumb.png.117f1d0a7a30e87ec72c32a7ff68ac48.png

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The mean is a lot better with the heights in the Atlantic than the 12z

18z 192 v's 12z 204

gensnh-31-1-192.thumb.png.0f65ead3573d6e8881db9282c546231f.pnggensnh-31-1-204.thumb.png.699bca5d5889659f5aee381796caae37.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The ensembles show that the 18z probably is up there as one of the most progressive runs in bringing the deep cold over our shores. Therefore its very much a best case sceanario.

The other things gleaming thorugh the ensembles out to 180hrs, there is a really wide range of solutions out there, even at 144hrs. The mean is going to be next to useless as many are showing very different patterns.

For example, some show high pressure leaning into the UK, others have HP into Greenland, others have a mid Atlantic high with LP's riding over the top. All will show the central high pressure in the Atlantic like Kasim's chart, but all have VERY different prospects for future cold.

The easterly also looks at least a little cooler on some of the runs, not all of them but in the fine margins we are talking about it may bring more places into play next week.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Griff said:

Yes, and no, if GFS solution is preferred

Any support in the anomaly charts etc for this, I thought Greenland high and block to lock off the Atlantic but keep things over us. 

GFSP timely reminder of potential calamity in FI

gfsnh-0-294 (2).png

gfsnh-1-294 (2).png

Agree, GFS is much better, most years though we would give our left testicle for the gfs(p) shows how spoilt we are this year! 

Just now, kold weather said:

The ensembles show that the 18z probably is up there as one of the most progressive runs in bringing the deep cold over our shores. Therefore its very much a best case sceanario.

The other things gleaming thorugh the ensembles out to 180hrs, there is a really wide range of solutions out there, even at 144hrs. 

The easterly also looks at least a little cooler on some of the runs, not all of them but in the fine margins we are talking about it may bring more places into play next week.

Not sure it's a best case scenario - the outcome of a northerly push is being favoured quite considerably now for a few reasons.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

The other things gleaming thorugh the ensembles out to 180hrs, there is a really wide range of solutions out there, even at 144hrs. 

It's in line with the rest of the ens though KW☺️

Untitled.thumb.png.bf07f864d9721242133cf8f8272697a5.png

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

Not sure it's a best case scenario - the outcome of a northerly push is being favoured quite considerably now for a few reasons.

Hi mate, Ive just looked through all the ensembles run by run, the 18z GFS op is probably in the top 3 in terms of the speed and cleaness of getting the cold down.

Many do evolve cold of course, but the 18z GFS is in the top league for evolutions from what I've seen

Just now, kold weather said:

Hi mate, Ive just looked through all the ensembles run by run, the 18z GFS op is probably in the top 3 in terms of the speed and cleaness of getting the cold down.

Many do evolve cold of course, but the 18z GFS is in the top league for evolutions from what I've seen

I agree in terms of the microdetails it's probably in the top 15% as you say. The evolution is not untoward from a logical perspectice as it has been expected for some time now, and it is synoptically viablw. The depth of cold / snow on the 18z op is probably somewhat on the better side of possible solutions. This depends on how far east the diving low is. A further few days needed to gain some confidence on these details.

This has been a recurring pattern top, northerly shots.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,

Just for fun post:

Would be great if that purple area of cold moved ever closer to the UK. A few runs have shown this at the end recently.

In reality, next week still looks uncertain on the detail at this stage. I suspect cold with outbreaks of mostly rain from the east (maybe wintry on higher ground). The temperatures are just a touch too mild. What happens with that high pressure is very much TBD especially later next week.

Screenshot 2020-12-30 at 23.18.26.png

Posted

The control run is going for it.

gensnh-0-1-228.thumb.png.6277ec78e71adc1ed9f446f157d6f774.png

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

It's in line with the rest of the ens though KW☺️

Untitled.thumb.png.bf07f864d9721242133cf8f8272697a5.png

take a look at the synoptics of each run between 168-192hrs, you'll see what I mean!

For example this:

GFSP16EU18_204_1.thumb.png.eedf32f8ff02d8e58dc55aebdd28a476.png

Is as cold as this:

GFSP15EU18_204_1.thumb.png.8db88b3d39476346c514a7741761ed04.png

Both have 850hpa temperture around -6/7c so show the same on the ensemble chart above...(as it happens I think that chart with the mid atlantic high will go cold anyway!)

So whilst I get that its within the mean, its also fair to say the mean hides alot of synoptic noise in there at this point. 

In a better note, there are some seriously good ensemble members by 240hrs, so many do go cold, just not many are as quick or as good as the GFS 18z op, thats all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GFS pub run T384:

B31AA3FE-BE40-4C7A-9B20-36F664EFC171.thumb.png.78a1ea73e1ec9fdca0889d0e3ea9a733.png

As they used to say on Scooby Doo, ‘YIKES”!   

We are being chased by a monster vortex beast, it’ll get us but we’ll rip the mask off and it will be @Steve Murr all the time .  Crazy run.  

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1