Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Staying cold into the new year

Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!

ECM 850s ensemble mean rising towards mid January. 

ensemble-euro.png
METEOLOGIX.COM

London, England, United Kingdom - The ideal weather forecast for the next 14 days. See the results of all 50 ensemble members of the ECMWF model in direct comparison for several parameters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

image.thumb.png.550cc65101807cf6c13a92b2a7c75956.png

haven’t seen that...what would that mean

errrmm!...we're piggy in the middle and it's hardly ever our turn?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Well you're right there! but also at the 850 uppers...but the times are changing. If I don't get any lying snow in the next few weeks I'm going to saw my leg off.

By the way latest CFS not a million miles away from ECM near day 10...perhaps lacking the Arctic blast and associated LP

cfs-0-228.png

No problems here, Froze... following such a good day's model-watching, I'm already legless!:drunk-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted

I like the consistency of the models at the moment, just reliably cold, seasonal weather in the heart of winter with the odd surprise snow flurry. Better that than a spectacular easterly at +240 that ends up letting you down (even if they come off - invariably too dry in this part of the world)

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, topo said:

ECM 850s ensemble mean rising towards mid January. 

ensemble-euro.png
METEOLOGIX.COM

London, England, United Kingdom - The ideal weather forecast for the next 14 days. See the results of all 50 ensemble members of the ECMWF model in direct comparison for several parameters.

As Blue said earlier: Massive split at the end. Everything from +10 to -10 850hpa. Not sure how these compare to last few runs? 

998DF312-F328-41A6-9F23-26B19D06BB95.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
43 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

It really depends on the trop and strat conditions and dynamics leading up to the SSW.  The more that I have learnt since the first strat thread is that there are many determining features between trop and strat. There are a few occasions in history where the pre SSW trop pattern was better than the post for us in the UK. And that shouldn’t be ignored.  If I was in the east USA I would be hoping that the SSW shakes the trop pattern up somewhat. I’m not. I want reinforcing of it. Risky at this point

Hi Chino...from a novice point of view and I’m sure that one that is shared a plenty on here today...the word “risky” wouldn’t have been used days prior to this...now the mood seems kinda risky and a worry...has your confidence dropped slightly ?This is to the other strat experts also

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
32 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Looking at the ECM ensembles D11-D15, decent blocking is forecast in the Atlantic at D11, but the clusters show a large amount of scatter by D15. Nothing unusual to have such scatter by then, in fact, it's less usual to have a strong consensus. However, heights to the west seem the diet on all clusters.

20201229203514-7ef9fd357b1c89eb0eca66ad322a112691281c74.thumb.png.fb89758f57f99f6620a99c8a0be7487f.png

Look at the borders.   Given the current setup we want red ones (Atlantic ridge) or green ones (-NAO).  Mostly OK, but some uncertainty as you’d expect.  I don’t think this pattern is going to go away prior to the SSW, though.  After, I’d be lying if I said i had any idea!  

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
9 minutes ago, WINTRY WALES said:

Hi Chino...from a novice point of view and I’m sure that one that is shared a plenty on here today...the word “risky” wouldn’t have been used days prior to this...now the mood seems kinda risky and a worry...has your confidence dropped slightly ?This is to the other strat experts also

Not a Strat expert but I believe that he is saying that nhp is good for us in terms of cold as we stand. A SSW could shuffle the nhp less favourably for cold for us. OR you could just read the post below. Not as in depth and detailed as mine but.......

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Looking at the day ten mean 500mb,850's and height anomalies from both the ECM and gefs and i have got to say they are singing from the same hymn sheet with W Greenland heights and W Russia heights with some sort of trough coming down from a northerly quadrant with low height's underneath

EDH1-240.thumb.gif.37d55b5822cc00904cf8ffed64cba96b.gifEDH0-240.thumb.gif.c9eab57a88dbcffee22f0f8b97705866.gifEDH101-240.thumb.gif.72008ec4329207fec1b49eb7c401d517.gif

gensnh-31-1-240.thumb.png.b438667bf716df14de0feda50b58d252.pnggensnh-31-0-240.thumb.png.682f9e6a617b226060555dc30e0fd19a.pnggensnh-31-5-240.thumb.png.f1edb0791e54f7125198a8b062c370df.png

these are stunning charts and a far cry from last winter

It's all just there 'for the taking' Si... If I don't see any meaningful snow from this, I'll saw @Froze were the Days's other leg off!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted

Does anyone know how good the extended GEFS are modelling the possible effects of the SSW? Not many cold ones by end of Jan so I’m hoping they are not factoring this in? 

438A72E4-E248-45D2-958A-72A4A5939B65.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
1 hour ago, chris55 said:

There is an old adage on the Netweather forums....

”you only know the train is coming, when you can actually see the train” this stems from times looking at weeks of zonality trying to spot the change to an easterly...

Right now, believe it or not, we have actually boarded the train. However, the train is one of the two carriage ones that’s a bit rickety, we are all on board but it’s not to everyone’s liking. Some are in the nice seats and some are standing only and this is causing a bit of bickering.  But we are on the train nonetheless.

No doubt we are heading to our destination, hopefully to be transferred to the new intercity where we can all relish and enjoy the journey. But alas, the ride will be littered with unexpected stops and the occasional break down along with some periods of smooth running. We might end up at our destination of Arctic bliss or we could be subject to a bus replacement service...I’m quietly expecting the the former..

And that is what makes this place so enjoyable  

Your on the right track there

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
4 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

It's all just there 'for the taking' Si... If I don't see any meaningful snow from this, I'll saw @Froze were the Days's other leg off!

Then he will be doing handstands

anyway,the latest ICON has the heights a little further south than the 12z

18z 120 v's 12z 126

iconnh-0-120.thumb.png.48abe0232b911e0e430d590218b7ce27.pngiconnh-0-126.thumb.png.40686d0beb9467c7bd64b3d4d71fe852.png

and looking at the latest snow chances the ICON pushes that low further south on Wednesday and also delays the band of PPN coming down from the north on Thursday but there is a faint band before it.

anim_lnb3.thumb.gif.b71dddf61001ea2c8f6354be4e09dc4e.gif

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Darling it's cold outside......!

h850t850eu-12.png

ecmt850.120-2.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

I’ve heard this model is held in high regard by the met . Nice chart tho . 

676558B5-1242-47A8-A494-CD64494D90E1.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
1 hour ago, Met4Cast said:

The background signals are solid. We have MJO potentially moving into a low amplitude phase 2 which is supportive of blocking around Greenland, this only serves to support the potential for blocking there, rather than "drive" it.

MJO.thumb.jpeg.5d55e5a9ee43f4fd9bd52b59ba54f4cd.jpeg

The GWO orbit is favourable and likely to remain favourable well into January for high-latitude blocking, as it swings around into phase three we could see a slight Atlantic push, but with a HLB in place this could bring snow potential.

GWO_members_current.thumb.png.dc6847d8f13a19fe498683f50e1354dd.png2117838291_Screenshot2020-12-29at19_50_48.thumb.png.a95a4cc5f448c4d4e563eb8c53fe1c73.png

An almost record breaking +EAMT event is currently underway and will serve to support further blocked conditions in the Atlantic/Greenland sector as we go into January. The insane blocked charts we're seeing are very much trop led at the moment and what we're seeing is very, very good. A protracted period of below average temperatures out to the 2nd week of January seems increasingly likely.

From there? Who knows, perhaps a slight pattern relaxation or perhaps the GFS is over-doing the lows and as we get closer to the 6th Jan they'll start trending southwards.

The extended EPS is very blocked, some clusters are too far west with the block & thus we'd likely see less cold conditions moving up into the UK, but overall I'm not too worried at this stage.

775542960_Screenshot2020-12-29at19_57_46.thumb.png.916016fe3bc3aeaab43db771b00801a6.png

As for the SSW potentially scuppering the pattern, it's a possibility. But that's some three weeks away before any potential impacts from downwelling, and at least 2 weeks away before we're going to start having some idea. Heck, models still can't agree on exactly WHEN the SSW will take place. 

All good going forward. We're in a cold spell, it's likely to turn colder. I really can't understand the negativity. Ian Brown would be saying "wtf" at the current outputs.

Great post and very informative. What got me is the +EAMT event. Not totally clued up on it but aware its a big player in the coming days/weeks. I am presuming this is still to happen, have the models got the data in their runs to support it or is this due to start showing in the runs when it happens. If its not already been picked up on, then goodness could be some really juicy runs or maybe thats already behind some of the lovely runs for coldies? 

• Like 1