Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bresser stations any good?

Posted

Looking for an entry level station for home. Saw this and was wondering if it was any good? Would like to link up to Wunderground and this looks like it does that.

Bresser 5-in-1

From what I can make out this is rebranded kit as I can find several brands which all look identical bar the branding.

Any opinions or advice welcome

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

This is the weather station I have (got it from Amazon but currently out of stock there) 

10032926_yy_0001_titel___Waldbeck_Halley
WWW.HIFI-TOWER.CO.UK

Never miss any more weather phenomena: with the Waldbeck Halley pro weather station, you can keep track of all relevant measurements, warnings and forecasts. With the Waldbeck...

very good station it replaced my Davis vantage vue which had went dodgy in a few ways and it’s just as good also links up pretty easily through a few apps to wunderground

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
49 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Looking for an entry level station for home. Saw this and was wondering if it was any good? Would like to link up to Wunderground and this looks like it does that.

Bresser 5-in-1

From what I can make out this is rebranded kit as I can find several brands which all look identical bar the branding.

Any opinions or advice welcome

Thanks

I tested one of these a while ago against my Davis VP2 and safe to say I sent it straight back, temperature readings were as much as 3c higher than the Davis station in sunny calm conditions. I would highly recommend a Ventus W830 from Weather Spares. Same as the one Kirkcaldy Weather posted above but with console, I own around 20 of these and have tested vs my Davis station and there’s nothing between them. 

B37E6459-7335-4467-A5A2-21E94FC42229.thumb.png.749da46c9c35fed45fafb27036220897.png

• Thanks 2

Posted

Questions for both of you - is that sensor unit solar powered? Do you need to change backup batteries often? Can you add extra sensors? Would love one lower down as the main unit will probably be eaves mounted on a pole.

Just a few for starters

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
1 minute ago, 101_North said:

Questions for both of you - is that sensor unit solar powered? Do you need to change backup batteries often? 

Yeah solar, I’ve had it since June no battery change so far

• Thanks 1

Posted

Thanks. Not a model I'd seen but I'd rather pay a bit extra for something recommended than simply taking a punt! The mrs would insist on the console version

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
43 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Yeah solar, I’ve had it since June no battery change so far

Depending on location, batteries need changing every 2-4 years. Would highly recommend putting some ultra lithium batteries for maximum duration.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I just replied to someone else looking for a ~£200 WS. The Bresser's are not really from a very good stable, I would not advise to chose them.

I do though 100% recommended the Watson W8686. I'll copy my response here as I think it's valid for you also...

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Great prices on your favourite Gardening brands, and free delivery on eligible orders.

or direct from the seller...

It's maybe at the top end of your budget but is such a great WS - and the display it one of the most advanced out there - displaying clear full-screen graphs from all the sensors. It saves data every 5 minutes by default (can be change to shorter or longer) the internal memory contains months of data and can be backed-up on a mSD card. Live data can be pushed to Wunderground (who I do not like at all), WeatherCloud (who I like a lot) and Ecowitt (who I like a lot and have professional visuals / graphs).

I've just ordered some soil sensors and a lightning sensor for it! (-you can also add additional internal temp/humidity sensors, air quality and leak detector). Truly a great WS, could be priced at 4 times it's current and still be great deal value.

As others have said these WS all come out of Fine Offset (OEM - HP2550, and appear in different countries as : Ecowitt HP2551, Froggit HP1000SE-PRO, Ambient Weather WS-2000). Ecowitt is taking much of the lead on additional sensors and firmware - and are a great company. 

For £190 you will be chuffed at the Watson W8686 - get it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers
On 08/01/2021 at 11:33, Lark Ascending said:

I just replied to someone else looking for a ~£200 WS. The Bresser's are not really from a very good stable, I would not advise to chose them.

I do though 100% recommended the Watson W8686. I'll copy my response here as I think it's valid for you also...

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Great prices on your favourite Gardening brands, and free delivery on eligible orders.

or direct from the seller...

It's maybe at the top end of your budget but is such a great WS - and the display it one of the most advanced out there - displaying clear full-screen graphs from all the sensors. It saves data every 5 minutes by default (can be change to shorter or longer) the internal memory contains months of data and can be backed-up on a mSD card. Live data can be pushed to Wunderground (who I do not like at all), WeatherCloud (who I like a lot) and Ecowitt (who I like a lot and have professional visuals / graphs).

I've just ordered some soil sensors and a lightning sensor for it! (-you can also add additional internal temp/humidity sensors, air quality and leak detector). Truly a great WS, could be priced at 4 times it's current and still be great deal value.

As others have said these WS all come out of Fine Offset (OEM - HP2550, and appear in different countries as : Ecowitt HP2551, Froggit HP1000SE-PRO, Ambient Weather WS-2000). Ecowitt is taking much of the lead on additional sensors and firmware - and are a great company. 

For £190 you will be chuffed at the Watson W8686 - get it!

Can this be easily fixed to a 2inch or 1.5inch aerial pole?

Reason I ask is that I have nowhere to fix a weather station to in my garden without it being sheltered by something (Trees, next door shed etc) and my only option is to buy an aerial pole put that in the ground and hopefully fix the weather station onto it.

Posted

..yes, it'll take a mast pole with a dia between 25mm-50mm (1"-2").

I've just attached the Watson W8686 it to a DAVIS 7716 weather-station tripod, which has a 32mm (1.25") diameter pole. I recommend these tripods, as you don't want to just insert an aerial pole in the ground as it'll wobble around way too much! (-triggering the rain sensor, among with other problems). In open ground get the 7716A - that has long threaded ground screws included. Otherwise fix an aerial mast to a fence post - something v.rigid without wobble.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

I bought this, very impressed. Links easily to wunderground.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

I will also recommend the Watson 8686 from NevadaRadio if you want a local UK supplier.

If you are happy to buy from overseas then take a look at Ecowitt.com as this is the original company that makes the re-branded Watson. It might take a few weeks to be shipped but the prices are good and support excellent. There may also be a customs charge as thats been a big thing lately, though when I last bought something I had no charges. The big advantage of the Ecowitt system is the modular nature of the sensors etc which means you can add all sorts of cool kit such as ultrasonic anemometers, Co2/Pm2.5/PM10, Lightning etc

These stations are by and far the most widespread stations in the world and quality is only second to Davis VP and are better than Davis Vue.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring
On 29/12/2020 at 20:46, vizzy2004 said:

I tested one of these a while ago against my Davis VP2 and safe to say I sent it straight back, temperature readings were as much as 3c higher than the Davis station in sunny calm conditions. I would highly recommend a Ventus W830 from Weather Spares. Same as the one Kirkcaldy Weather posted above but with console, I own around 20 of these and have tested vs my Davis station and there’s nothing between them. 

B37E6459-7335-4467-A5A2-21E94FC42229.thumb.png.749da46c9c35fed45fafb27036220897.png

Hi I was just browsing this thread and came across your post. I'm looking at getting a station and did pick the Davis Vantage Vue with the live stuff etc as my first choice, however after seeing you recommend the W830 I went and had a look and seeing the Ventus W830 at half the price of the Vue and with free online accounts and excellent reviews its has made me do a rethink and I'm most likely get the W830 so thank you.

Posted
14 hours ago, Oaks said:

Hi I was just browsing this thread and came across your post. I'm looking at getting a station and did pick the Davis Vantage Vue with the live stuff etc as my first choice, however after seeing you recommend the W830 I went and had a look and seeing the Ventus W830 at half the price of the Vue and with free online accounts and excellent reviews its has made me do a rethink and I'm most likely get the W830 so thank you.

The Ventus is a base level station and will get you in at the ground level. It is in fact a rebadged version of the Ecowitt WS2910. 

You can find the manual here: https://osswww.ecowitt.net/uploads/20200923/2607a385984df34004a69f5d5f0d2b23.pdf

It does have its limitations however as the display console only supports the standard bi/tri-wing all in one sensors. If you are likely to want to add sensors and get more into weather station activities I would encourage you to look at the Watson 8686. This has a superior screen and allows pretty much any additional sensor that Ecowitt makes to be displayed. The Ecowitt manual for this model can be found here:

https://osswww.ecowitt.net/uploads/20200921/c22d73bcd5522cda0d266cb8a9d1b4dd.pdf

At the end of the day it will come down to how much you want to spend and how likely you will want additional sensors.

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mandrake said:

The Ventus is a base level station and will get you in at the ground level. It is in fact a rebadged version of the Ecowitt WS2910. 

You can find the manual here: https://osswww.ecowitt.net/uploads/20200923/2607a385984df34004a69f5d5f0d2b23.pdf

It does have its limitations however as the display console only supports the standard bi/tri-wing all in one sensors. If you are likely to want to add sensors and get more into weather station activities I would encourage you to look at the Watson 8686. This has a superior screen and allows pretty much any additional sensor that Ecowitt makes to be displayed. The Ecowitt manual for this model can be found here:

https://osswww.ecowitt.net/uploads/20200921/c22d73bcd5522cda0d266cb8a9d1b4dd.pdf

At the end of the day it will come down to how much you want to spend and how likely you will want additional sensors.

Thanks. I'll have a look at the watson one. 

Can I ask about placement, does it have to be a certain hight etc, I've got a small garden with a tree that overhangs from the outside in the nw corner, a field at north at the back and next doors garden too the east. I'm thinking of putting on the fence at the north end 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Oaks said:

Thanks. I'll have a look at the watson one. 

Can I ask about placement, does it have to be a certain hight etc, I've got a small garden with a tree that overhangs from the outside in the nw corner, a field at north at the back and next doors garden too the east. I'm thinking of putting on the fence at the north end 

Dont get too hung up about placement. Ideally the wind anemometer needs as high as possible, the rain gauge about a foot from the ground and not obscured, the temperature sensor about 1-2m and over green surface etc. There are placement guides. Now clearly you cannot meet this with an all in one sensor so really all you can do is place it in the best location you can find. I have my sensors on angled aerial brackets on the side of the garage. Not perfect by any means but it gives me relative readings in my location for me!

You will also have to remember that periodically you will need to replace the backup batteries (at least every 2 years) and routinely check the rain gauge for stray crap/leaves/bird guano which will all block the operation. So putting it in a place you can get at it is also important. The all in one sensor also ideally needs to be in as sunny a location as possible as it runs for as much of its time from the solar panel and a super capacitor.

There is a excellent support forum for all the ecowitt stations and their clones here where you can learn heaps.

WWW.WXFORUM.NET

Ambient Weather and Ecowitt and other Fine Offset clones

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mandrake said:

Dont get too hung up about placement. Ideally the wind anemometer needs as high as possible, the rain gauge about a foot from the ground and not obscured, the temperature sensor about 1-2m and over green surface etc. There are placement guides. Now clearly you cannot meet this with an all in one sensor so really all you can do is place it in the best location you can find. I have my sensors on angled aerial brackets on the side of the garage. Not perfect by any means but it gives me relative readings in my location for me!

You will also have to remember that periodically you will need to replace the backup batteries (at least every 2 years) and routinely check the rain gauge for stray crap/leaves/bird guano which will all block the operation. So putting it in a place you can get at it is also important. The all in one sensor also ideally needs to be in as sunny a location as possible as it runs for as much of its time from the solar panel and a super capacitor.

There is a excellent support forum for all the ecowitt stations and their clones here where you can learn heaps.

WWW.WXFORUM.NET

Ambient Weather and Ecowitt and other Fine Offset clones

Thank you, I will give them a read as not buying till April