Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into the new year

SMU
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

Posted

UKV 15z just in, has the prec marginally further north than the 12z, grazing the far south at times. Also not making as much of the inbound rain/sleet/snow in the north as the SR at the moment. 

15z is on the left.
ukv15-12.jpg

Posted
2 minutes ago, Johnp said:

Not many people will be getting snow in that case!

Not based on this mornings runs but a lot can still change.

"Snow at low levels will quickly turn to rain across Scotland during early Thursday, becoming confined to ground above 500 metres. It will also steadily turn to rain at lower levels further south through the rest of the day whilst petering out"

Starts off as snow and milder air undercuts the precipitation. Starting from Scotland working its way down the country

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Scott Ingham said:

A lot better all snow above 160m. At 66m high i needed a 0.8 degree drop via evaporative cooling to see snow and got it after 45 minutes. Its extremeley marginal bar the first hour of precipitation or so and backed up by met warning who have the snow line at 500metres

If only NW membership came with a free trampoline!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, preferably thunderstorms, cold and bad weather.
4 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Looks light and patchy, Barely 1cm in the south

5618A4CF-E68B-4E3C-850F-57E9EB29A9D4.jpeg

This looks blimmin good for these parts!

• Like 2

Posted

192 looked to be heading West based, 216 looks pretty damn good ❄️❄️

1045D790-AE2F-4816-9A6E-2127BAF8E401.png

91561DF9-0FEA-4DF9-B5DA-4112A9233DC9.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
7 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

As the precipitaton moves through you need to be higher than 400 metres for snow if not 500m

I think you mean that in feet mate..we've had settling snow at around 4-500 feet,with more higher up...your talking 1800feet with those figures...wich would mean temperatures would be quite a bit higher.

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, DogToffee said:

This looks blimmin good for these parts!

Hardly any extra snow has fallen anywhere away from the south / kent coast so it’s what you already have (or don’t have) on the ground now 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
2 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

A lot better all snow above 160m. At 66m high i needed a 0.8 degree drop via evaporative cooling to see snow and got it after 45 minutes. Its extremeley marginal bar the first hour of precipitation or so and backed up by met warning who have the snow line at 500metres

I'm getting you pal

Accumulations of 1-3 cm are most likely, with larger accumulations (most likely 5-10 cm) confined to ground above 200 metres. Snow at low levels will quickly turn to rain across Scotland during early Thursday, becoming confined to ground above 500 metres. It will also steadily turn to rain at lower levels further south through the rest of the day whilst petering out.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

The 12z ensembles continue to increase the snow row count for London despite other sources and media forecasts diminishing the chances for snowfall in the South East.

Can’t see the ensembles having much weight in this now even with the time frame less than 24 hours.

67536065-F1B7-4309-A7A8-AA6FA3CF6ACF.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

192 looked to be heading West based, 216 looks pretty damn good ❄️❄️

1045D790-AE2F-4816-9A6E-2127BAF8E401.png

91561DF9-0FEA-4DF9-B5DA-4112A9233DC9.png

Small margins.

West based -NAO or full Northerly hit, what will it be?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

I think you mean that in feet mate..we've had settling snow at around 4-500 feet,with more higher up...your talking 1800feet with those figures...wich would mean temperatures would be quite a bit higher.

No its in metres. @Kasim Awan has the snow line at 400m as weve discussed in private chat. Read the met weather warning they have it at 500metres. Its a snow turning to rain event nothing will be there the day after unless things change

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

ECH1-216.GIF?29-0

We get there in the end but the high being further S and closer to the UK has two negative factors. 

1. There would be less PPN, especially away from the S

2. there would be a large warm sector to contend with before pulling the arctic feed back in

However if I am being critical of a run that produces a chart like this it must show we are in very unusual times.

This run will be on the less cold side of its ensembles through the medium term and likely a tad colder at the death (day 10)

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
3 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Matt it's in the warning so it's a case of what will be will be. Must be some warm air in the mix. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

I'm getting you pal

Accumulations of 1-3 cm are most likely, with larger accumulations (most likely 5-10 cm) confined to ground above 200 metres. Snow at low levels will quickly turn to rain across Scotland during early Thursday, becoming confined to ground above 500 metres. It will also steadily turn to rain at lower levels further south through the rest of the day whilst petering out.

Yes milder air is brought in behind the low which catches up and turns snow to rain as the snow line rises dramatically.

For me nothing doing for any of us wednesday or thursday

Posted

Is it me, or is the evolution on ECM between 216 and 240 hours a bit odd?

ECH0-216.gif

ECH1-216.gif

DSC03194.JPG

^ These aren't my images so no idea how they've appeared - and I can't delete???

Edited by Johnp
  • Like 1