Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into the new year

SMU
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

The 6th January seems to be the point in which divergence begins within the ensembles. Some members taking things much milder whilst others remain on the colder side. This is mainly because models are trying to resolve exactly where the block is likely to be.

604563709_6thJan.thumb.png.5ed45bd7757d1c3430ef12458cf1ba5d.png1948941173_Screenshot2020-12-29at13_38_56.thumb.png.ccf91bea559455a38a2f4bec727c69e2.png

The milder runs blow the low up as it approaches the UK and thus it makes further inroads into the UK, whereas the colder ensembles are keeping this low shallower and more "slidey".

Until models resolve this, anything beyond January 6th is going to wildly differ between runs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

According to Meteoceil, the GFS parallel has 127 layers up to 80km - which is one reason why it may have been more consistent re the SSW than the current GFS.

The V16 (which is the current parallel) also starts at around 84km up (current one starts at 55km), which may also help the modelling of the strat and subsequently the upper atmosphere.

Loads of info here:

WWW.EMC.NCEP.NOAA.GOV

• Thanks 3

Guys calm down most winters we would love to see charts like we have now within the reliable time frame. The models will chop and change as there is a lot going on in the strat etc lots just enjoy the ride this is like no winter for the last 10 years, let’s see where we go from here hopefully cold and snowy but we shall see if a few days.

• Like 4

Posted
23 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Fingers crosses here for tomorrows snow.

S

Horrible feeling it's all ending up in the channel - hopefully 12z runs will stop the southerly march

Posted
1 hour ago, Met4Cast said:

Turns out this explanation was "dribble on a page" and I had somewhat misunderstood. 

The GFS DOES take every layer of it's forecast into account, however resolution & fewer vertical layers in the model compared with others can give it limited accuracy on modelling tropospheric impacts from SSW's, particularly at the lead times we're currently dealing with. 

ECM/GLOSEA often have a better handle on things.

GLOSEA5 certainly has more levels than GFS

"The vertical resolution, like that of GloSea4, is 85 levels for the atmosphere and 75 levels for the ocean."

• Like 1

Posted

Some runs yesterday showed the coldest air from the North coming down and missing to the east. Would this potentially be a good/safe thing with a SSW on the way as it decreases the chances of a West-based Nao?

Also, would a West-based Nao affect the potential impacts of the SSW?

Apologies if this is all wrong, just trying to learn a bit here as a rookie!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundersnow

Can someone tell me or point me in the right direction for info on ssw and qtr? 

When do we know if we're going to have a qtr? Are the models pocking it up now, hence the wobbles in the models?

Posted
11 minutes ago, Ashme said:

Can someone tell me or point me in the right direction for info on ssw and qtr? 

When do we know if we're going to have a qtr? Are the models pocking it up now, hence the wobbles in the models?

The Strat thread: https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/94538-stratosphere-and-polar-vortex-watch-2020

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, CameronWS said:

Some runs yesterday showed the coldest air from the North coming down and missing to the east. Would this potentially be a good/safe thing with a SSW on the way as it decreases the chances of a West-based Nao?

Also, would a West-based Nao affect the potential impacts of the SSW?

Apologies if this is all wrong, just trying to learn a bit here as a rookie!

Potentially, a strong SSW that downwells quickly might push the blocking too far west if it's already in Greenland, but it could also push the blocking over Russia to scandi and link up with Greenland, which may"lock-in"  colder patterns, probably best to PM one of the many knowledgeable strat members for a more detailed breakdown as lots of other factors come into play 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Icon already vastly better here at 96 v 102 06z run, 

@Steve Murr thanks for the posts over the years showing how small changes in the early timeframe can alter FI. your post earlier was great 

iconnh-0-102.png

iconnh-0-96.png

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves
8 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

12z icon takes tomorrow’s system through n france !

Do you think that’s a done deal are any more adjustments north.

Posted
1 minute ago, Scandinavian High. said:

Do you think that’s a done deal are any more adjustments north.

Done deal in my opinion!!barr a miracle!!!those ridiculous amount by ecm yesterday seem to be over done!!!!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Thursday mornings snow on its way down the country.

image.thumb.png.67531ef826e98805b07ea09234a11c66.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Well looking through all the high res models i think its increasingly looking likely tomorrows snow is a bust!

Damn

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

12z icon takes tomorrow’s system through n france !

I’ve always wondered why the Met Office seem to be 12/24 hours behind the curve on these kind of things versus a bunch of enthusiasts on a weather forum. 

We’re all pretty certain now that the snow is heading through the channel, yet they’re pumping out severe weather warnings?‍♂️

p.s I hope I’m made to eat my words by 6” of snow falling. 

Edited by Drifter
  • Like 5

Posted

If 12z gfs shows the same as 06z up to 192 hours i will be happy!!but i think it will probably show the high closer to the uk and and more energy going over the top!!!still will look good but maybe like the gfs 06 para!!hope im wrong!!