Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into the new year

SMU
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
5 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

D9 ECM...BINGO!

Yet Another pass me the shovel run.... This time ECM

The mother of all Northerlies is immenent. See met forecast brush on it

image.thumb.png.152b5af3d8f97c06bba632bb3cdf1ece.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
11 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Holding off comment on ECM until now, T192, this looks great, possibility that it would side with GEM, which as discussed earlier was a decent run, it doesn’t, but here the doors come off:

0C44046B-2524-4A18-B795-0623572A17D7.thumb.png.2fd350dbc769fba9c03edd18b98ea85b.png

Could end up like that GEFS P2 that @feb1991blizzard posted earlier.

This reminds me a lot of yesterdays 12z GEM which looked  poised as though a big northerly was about to spill out the arctic

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

JMA pretty much perfect. No large warm sectors and clean transition from E to N flow likely.

JN192-21.GIF?29-12

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder , Lightning , Snow , Blizzards

900 times a day he mentions1081F6DA-08D6-4A8F-AA11-39A4C467027D.thumb.jpeg.baf9177ab17180f0c62306d866764c03.jpeg a west based -nao  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Day ten,..looks a bit twitchy toes to me and looks as though it might go WB-NAO,but i don't care as it's ten days away.

still a stunning chart though.

ECH1-240.thumb.gif.142407386bddf44d0c28041c53cb969e.gifECH0-240.thumb.gif.38deedb9f5fb740eaa4078e9f7fd7d0d.gif

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.

I think ECM day 10 is a bit too far West. Most of the cold will probably go to the Atlantic on day 11 and we will end up with Westerlies, like EPS this morning showed.

However, I do like the renewed development of the Arctic high.

EC-240 29dec.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
18 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

Well looking at the EC oper output it seems, that a Greenlandblocking at the onset of the SSW is good possible. This is the profile of the SSW composition. In this way not good. Chio pointed out we have to watch at 100 hPa. I question how long will the weak vortex stay there, without 'help' of the SSW.

greenlandblocking.JPG

Have you got any info where the blocking transfers to on average? does it collapse or topple to Scandi? And is there a difference between different SSW type, area and split/displacement?

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
6 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Day ten,..looks a bit twitchy toes to me and looks as though it might go WB-NAO,but i don't care as it's ten days away.

still a stunning chart though.

ECH1-240.thumb.gif.142407386bddf44d0c28041c53cb969e.gifECH0-240.thumb.gif.38deedb9f5fb740eaa4078e9f7fd7d0d.gif

Maybe I’m missing something, but how can that go west-based -NAO when the highest heights are west of everything else?  And are we even in a -NAO regime here?  The ECM clusters have 4 categories +NAO, -NAO, Atlantic ridge, Scandi block (that’s what the coloured borders mean), this is clearly Atlantic ridge, not -NAO.  

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The ECM is an improvement on the earlier run but still too far west with the block .

You need strong blocking further east to drive the coldest air south otherwise the temp divergence will lead to shortwaves developing to the north .

Given the timeframes involved bound to see more changes but the main decider will be where the block goes because the evolution is likely to see low pressure dropping south . If the block can set up further east then this thread should be a very happy place !

• Like 8

Posted
7 minutes ago, Cold Winter Night said:

I think ECM day 10 is a bit too far West. Most of the cold will probably go to the Atlantic on day 11 and we will end up with Westerlies, like EPS this morning showed.

However, I do like the renewed development of the Arctic high.

EC-240 29dec.png

Depends on the track that Scandi trough takes next though? Not nailed on it would track SSW from there - albeit could use a bit more eastern flank resistance from the AHP. 

Edited by pureasthedriven
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Battleground Snow said:

West based isn't always bad for us, you can see that high pressure is over eastern Greenland even if the core is to the west.

And it’s a forecast for ten days time. He talks about it as if it’s a given. 

• Like 2

Posted

Going to have to look North if we want bitterly cold air,hopefully the ECM is on the money at the end.after that met office tweet,with Europe warmer than average,hence not very cold easterlies next week,typical you wait years for decent cold going into January,and then the contintent not cold enough...

Feel like ..giphy.gif

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
2 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

Depends on the track that Scandi trough takes next though? Not nailed on it would track SSW from there - albeit could use a bit more resistance for the AHP. 

True. But given the shape of the Atlantic/Greenland high, it seems to be going towards Scotland and Ireland. It would be better if it went straight South into Europe. Like P2 of GEFS 12 Z.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
4 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Maybe I’m missing something, but how can that go west-based -NAO when the highest heights are west of everything else?  

Yeah maybe you are right,what i should of said is that it is too far west,been a long day☺️

a lot  will change come the time so i am not worried yet and there is a lot of fine tuning to be ironed out

i am just going to enjoy this week as there is a few opportunities for more snowfall to come. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Just had a wee chat with my best mate, Captain Sensible, and have decided to post some ensemble stuff... and, it looks like 16-days' between +3 and -3C, and with a fair bit of 'indeterminate' precipitation:

t850Bedfordshire.png     prmslBedfordshire.png

t2mBedfordshire.png     prcpBedfordshire.png

But the really good news, is that the deep-cold uppers still appear to be coming round this side of the hemisphere -- Reverse Zzzzzz?:santa-emoji:

npsh500mean-006.png    npsh500mean-120.png

npsh500mean-240.png    npsh500mean-384.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

As per Lorenzo's post, Lets please keep to discussion to what the models are showing please, not hopes thoughts & moans. Thanks all 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

You got to love model watching at the moment! We have northerlies, north-easterlies, easterlies, Atlantic highs, Icelandic highs, Scandi highs and Greenland highs, and the best is that’s this is all within 240hrs with all the westerly muck being forecast way out of range. 

Regards to the west based NAO being modelled; I actually prefer seeing it as from experience a *forecasted* w-NAO moves east closer to the actual date. 

I know the GFS hasn’t got the best name for itself, but it’s predicted this evolution quite well since I spotted it on the 14th. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1