Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into the new year

SMU
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
38 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

GFS & GFS(p) in FI give me a bad feeling....

560B743D-4D22-4F40-BECC-F053A30DC753.png

A7B098C4-7012-44A7-9529-1F3CCCE80B0C.png

The short ensembles give me a good feeing. Looking for the end as it begins wil end in FI tears

image.thumb.png.4dfb41a3ba25777f1828e5b2fc4fe671.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Really not sure how someone can say the GFS trop model and strat model are different, they are not, they are all one model which runs based on laws of physics, its just the boundary layer moves up and down in altitude with different thicknesses, its still all modelled together.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

The answer is.. yes & no. 

The GFS (the charts we're looking at) have a "lid", they only respond to goings on in the troposphere/oceans & do not factor in what the GFS stratospheric forecasts are showing. So for that reason, it's likely the GFS is wrong in FI because it WONT be factoring in the up-coming SSW. 

So.. yes it's likely the GFS is wrong, but not because it's struggling to resolve the SSW, but because it literally cannot "see' that an SSW is about to happen. Once the SSW is underway and we start to see predictions of downwelling, only then will the GFS (tropospheric charts) being to 'see' possible impacts from the SSW, but we're talking a lead time of perhaps 4 days here, we're well outside of that timeframe at the moment.

I hope that's understandable, I feel like I've just dribbled on a bit of paper and gone "here you go".

Perfectly explained dribbling, thanks. 

• Like 1

Posted

This thread is a stark reminder as to why there are pros and amateurs. As an amateur weather enthusiast I keep my hobby fun and like to keep realistic.

If the charts were not so promising and there was a SSW on the horizon we would be patiently waiting for charts to improve as the downwelling occurred. Let’s give that a try over the next week or so?

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
6 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Why are you (and others for that matter) looking for problems 264 hours away and beyond when anything within T+120 is up for grabs, and there a SSW in the offing?

Agree it creates unnecessary pessimism however he is only commenting on the output ,but your right it's time for a half glass full approach.

Edited by snowice
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
1 minute ago, Paul_1978 said:

Why are you (and others for that matter) looking for problems 264 hours away and beyond when anything within T+120 is up for grabs, and there a SSW in the offing?

Praise the lord, maybe some live their lives worrying.

image.thumb.png.ce3fd314dff16f98d8db1c7bf7646cbb.png

image.thumb.png.f60737c84b6938ffe8f03c768abb13a7.png

• Like 4

Posted

The models are flipping around with the placement of high pressure at circa 5 days ahead and some are flagging the far reaches of FI for signals of milder conditions.

This is a fluid situation, 5 days is a push for much accuracy let alone 10 days +
Don’t get too hung up on over 5 days ahead, many changes ahead, be it good or bad depending on your preference for cold or milder weather.

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Because they want to discuss the potential evolution of the models in different scenarios as this thread was intended for rather than ignore anything not snowy. 

Posted
43 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

If we wouldn't take a day 16 cold GFS chart seriously.. why are we taking a day 16 mild chart seriously? Worth noting the GFS wont be including impacts from the SSW yet, the GFS strat is essentially a different model to the GFS trop and they don't "connect" until downwelling begins to occur. 

Unfortunately the GFS is good at spotting trends. Also, a milder chart is more likely to verify than a cold one. We have seen GFS runs in  the last few days toy with the idea of a west- based nao, so it's not one run in isolation either. I hope you're right that it's an outlier, and that this model is unlikely to have it right due to the effects of a potential SSW , but it would not surprise  me if we end up milder.  We can have all the eye candy background signals in our favour, but it does not guarantee we will get the weather we want unfortunately in this region. Still, at least we have the chance of something much better, unlike this time last year.

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Because they want to discuss the potential evolution of the models in different scenarios as this thread was intended for rather than ignore anything not snowy. 

But should mention at the timeframe being discussed thats its unlikely to verify anyway,which a lot of posters dont mention ,so it gets confusing!

Since when has the gfs been good at spotting trends lol,its all over the place in fl as it always is,this forum sometimes

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 4

Posted
26 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Really not sure how someone can say the GFS trop model and strat model are different, they are not, they are all one model which runs based on laws of physics, its just the boundary layer moves up and down in altitude with different thicknesses, its still all modelled together.

Yep, the GFS forecasts the entire atmosphere in one hit starting at ~0.27hpa at the top and then working down through the remainder of it in 64 levels. Some more info for those who may be interested:

The atmospheric forecast model used in the GFS is a global spectral model (GSM) with spherical harmonic basis functions. In response to increased computing resources and changing computer architecture at NCEP, the GFS has evolved to higher resolution, both horizontally and vertically, and a more modular code structure. The current operational horizontal resolution is T1534 (T574), or approximately 13 km (34km) at the equator for days 0-10 (days 10-16) forecasts. In the vertical there are 64 hybrid sigma-pressure (Sela, 2009) layers with the top layer centered around 0.27 hPa (approximately 55 km)

WWW.EMC.NCEP.NOAA.GOV

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

But should mention at the timeframe being discussed thats its unlikely to verify anyway,which a lot of posters dont mention ,so it gets confusing!

Touché!:santa-emoji:

Posted
41 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, I'm amazed at the reaction to that inaccuracy.

Some models with more layers may be better able to create continuity/accuracy through the levels but to claim they are two separately modelled entities is just plain wrong.

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

This isn’t an argumentative response just want to comment on the highlighted section re North Sea convection, as I posted about at the start of December when the comments about the “lack of cold air” were aplenty and very similar setup last night (still some that continue to misinform about a lack of cold air) check the Scotland thread out Edinburgh got a couple of inches and areas of Fife got good amounts too, even areas further south and west (not all high ground either) all this from 850 hpa temperatures of only -2 to -4, sea temperatures here D1746CF6-7974-4D01-8AE1-AE6154462564.thumb.jpeg.5d1329cd2891c6caf9191225a5d735b2.jpeg around 9-11 degree temp difference and the radar wasn’t far off how it normally looks during a typical cold easterly up here even with such a slack flow, with the outlook showing chances for upper air temps to be double those amounts of the start of Dec and last night (-6s and -8s have been common in recent runs) a bit of simplistic working out suggests chances for convection (given a supportive E flow and troughs etc) could be double the intensity and coverage on radar. A really great time unfolding for us snow lovers and setups that support snowy surprises cropping up pretty much anywhere, exciting times .

Agreed! I was thinking of 2018 when I posted, but of course, still good enough for some.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

Unfortunately the GFS is good at spotting trends. 

I think that's a bit of a myth tbh.

All the models pick up on a trend ahead of the others sometimes, but equally they can all also run off in a different direction to the rest only to come running back later on. If I'm honest, since the GFS generally has lower skill (verification) than the likes of the ECMWF and UKMO models, I'd say it's slightly more likely to be wrong when it's out on its own than those other two. That's not to say it always is, and I'm certainly not saying it is for sure this time, as it definitely has its moments. But since we're potentially looking at a strat driven period here, the fact it has a lower vertical resolution than the others adds a bit of weight to the theory that it being out on its own is more likely to be a stroll up the garden path only to return later rather than it setting a new trend that the others will shortly follow. 

We'll see though!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Paul said:

Yep, the GFS forecasts the entire atmosphere in one hit starting at ~0.27hpa at the top and then working down through the remainder of it in 64 levels. Some more info for those who may be interested:

WWW.EMC.NCEP.NOAA.GOV

Plus other models have more levels. It should be the more levels the better the handle on whats going on.... but..

Edited by Biggin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
1 hour ago, Met4Cast said:

The answer is.. yes & no. 

The GFS (the charts we're looking at) have a "lid", they only respond to goings on in the troposphere/oceans & do not factor in what the GFS stratospheric forecasts are showing. So for that reason, it's likely the GFS is wrong in FI because it WONT be factoring in the up-coming SSW. 

So.. yes it's likely the GFS is wrong, but not because it's struggling to resolve the SSW, but because it literally cannot "see' that an SSW is about to happen. Once the SSW is underway and we start to see predictions of downwelling, only then will the GFS (tropospheric charts) being to 'see' possible impacts from the SSW, but we're talking a lead time of perhaps 4 days here, we're well outside of that timeframe at the moment.

I hope that's understandable, I feel like I've just dribbled on a bit of paper and gone "here you go".

Turns out this explanation was "dribble on a page" and I had somewhat misunderstood. 

The GFS DOES take every layer of it's forecast into account, however resolution & fewer vertical layers in the model compared with others can give it limited accuracy on modelling tropospheric impacts from SSW's, particularly at the lead times we're currently dealing with. 

ECM/GLOSEA often have a better handle on things.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
59 minutes ago, Paul said:

WWW.EMC.NCEP.NOAA.GOV

According to Meteoceil, the GFS parallel has 127 layers up to 80km - which is one reason why it may have been more consistent re the SSW than the current GFS.

Edited by Mike Poole
Deleted random chart
  • Like 3