Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into the new year

SMU
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy drifting snow.
Just now, kold weather said:

By the way, just to note that if we see an extreme burst of cold coming through the Greenland/Iceland area, it runs a very high risk of developing an area of LP in a place that may very rapidly help us to switch back into a SW pattern, especially should the upper high migrate westwards.

For example:

image.thumb.png.8f478aea276f9557d95131ac6897fe18.png

image.thumb.png.0ec4dae7148814ae8731dedac7679cc7.png

You can very easily end up on the wrong side of that sort of pattern and default back into an Atlantic set-up even if the AO remains negative.

Just a word of cuation for those that see deep cold coming out of that area and think we are in the money, its REALLY rare for that cold to make it down to our neck of the woods, I've seen it literally a handful of times looking back at the last 100 years of charts on the archives. 

This is largely more to do with the development of high pressure over Iberia though, no? Too far out to worry about now anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
1 hour ago, Tim Bland said:

Look again...it’s the 12z run from GFS Not fir the time period 12pm.  Both are for Weds eve. I was showing the most northerly point each one goes and ECM is much further north ..

31753795-03AB-403D-B304-617E73AA0F61.jpeg

209CFE60-9373-40CC-A425-4D383B757FF0.gif

My bad, on mobile screen, apologies.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Ec op is further south with Wednesday - along the m4 and n Home Counties ..... a long way to go on pinning this one down ! 

tomorrows less intense snowfall is more consistent across the models  

Perhaps the usual one model to far north, e.g. 00z EC and one too far south, e.g. 00z GFS ... with a meeting in the middle. 

At 48 hrs out a difference a 100 miles makes all the difference to where parts of southern UK see snow or not Wednesday. Met Office warnings may well have to be tweaked south or even abondoned. 

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Ec op is further south with Wednesday - along the m4 and n Home Counties ..... a long way to go on pinning this one down ! 

tomorrows less intense snowfall is more consistent across the models  

I do think the models are starting to come a little closer mind you BA. The models are probably now within about 100 miles of each other, though with a ESE moving system, even 30-40 miles further north/south means the difference between several million seeing snow, and several million seeing cloud to the south!

I do think the chances are there though for a snow event in the south, though again with the caveat that these systems have a nasty habit of adjusting south at short notice so we will need some luck here.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, The Enigma said:

This is largely more to do with the development of high pressure over Iberia though, no? Too far out to worry about now anyway.

Yes but that only forms because the deeper vortex comes down and forces pressure to rise further south as a consequence of it, if you run P4 on the ensembles between 240-300hrs you'll see that action in progress.

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

been following this last few runs, as a guess south of M4 event, that 'dreaded' M4 some may say

Ye looks that way, could get as far north as oxford but no where near us. Plenty of opportunities to come though!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Catacol said:

The strat holds the key to sustained cold. Be under no illusion - once the MJO passes back into the Indian Ocean and if the vortex trains shape and coherence then these synoptics could fade once we pass mid month. We would have a 2-3 week period of cold, of snow and positive memories....BUT there is a rare opportunity the way things stand now for cold to dig in for the long term - as has happened in a very few past winters that I refuse to name.

Yes, I posted a little earlier this eveing that there is a legitimate chance at a very special set-up evolving out of this, especially if we do get any slight relaxation of the upper high somewhere between the 5-10th which could allow an attack from the SW. If it digs in we could get a straddling front stuck over our shores with a wave of cold air coming down - something very similar happened back in Dec 62...should we get another burst of upper highs forming we are going to be stuck then with a very cold set-up that won't even need decent temps aloft, the surface will do the job itself to a greater extent even under less than optimal set-up.

Anyway before that as you rightly say, there is some good winter set-up here, it is borderline and I suspect time of day, etc is going to make a world of difference as to where gets settling snow or not.

22 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

I haven't woken up to a magical winter wonderland for nearly 8 years....

Extended cold, snowy weather or not. The 12z has something for everyone.

prectypeuktopo.thumb.png.a50650bd9d93239cdcf5b69734e202c1.pngprectypeuktopo-1.thumb.png.fad775aeb9bc2e2e0821e2233bd07933.png

Just once... this time... please.... 

Lol just the depths of FI - models struggle

with snow 24hrs out....

Posted
7 hours ago, Catacol said:

Perhaps we really are seeing downward impacts of the weak strat already. ECM for Jan 3 on the trop/strat boundary is extremely supportive of an Iceland ridge and Euro cold backing west. 
image.thumb.png.e8c7ccde5e4d60e789db816ece56ff62.png

Living the dream at the moment! 

When you consider the extremeley sensitive tpv i believe the same. Ive been busy today but i had the same thoughts this afternoon as i didnt expect these charts to kick in till the 6th or 7th of January

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Lol just the depths of FI - models struggle

with snow 24hrs out....

After 10 years on this forum, I'm well aware of that... doesn't stop us hoping though.... 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
13 minutes ago, clark3r said:

Deep snow if settles? Similar to dec 10? 

Some area's will see several cm's and some a light covering . Hopefully going forward we can talk about feet rather than cm's lol

Edited by MJB
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
2 minutes ago, MJB said:

image.thumb.png.6953848364ccb1fac2171e8665f7ff45.png

Nice 144 from ECM

Eastern Mediterranean air getting into the mix in Europe there.  

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

GFS, UKMO & ECM

gfsnh-0-144.thumb.png.aa88ca6c2da1460b4c70dd3a0dc463f3.pngUN144-21.thumb.GIF.072176c51b995df40ad7f12459a0b410.GIFECH1-144.thumb.png.e7ad527b278cc92676dfe9fb97f8e0e9.png

Not a bad choice really is it.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
8 minutes ago, mountsbaysnow said:

Oh well it was good whilst it lasted...LOL 

1377465.jpg
WWW.EXPRESS.CO.UK

BRITAIN is bracing for 21 inches of snow to strike as a bitter -9C Arctic blast could hit, according to the latest forecasts.

I’m amazed we have been able to keep it to ourselves for so long! The express have had their hands full with covid nightmare stories to be fair!  

Anyway it has to happen yet, and this cold spell starts gently, first bite at the cherry today, may take one more before anything significant happens, but it is coming!

ECM T168:

EF9865B0-6335-4A69-AF37-18B584A43C88.thumb.png.66b81725c38be0958b0b866305d7d533.png

Take that, any day!  Great run!

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

I’m amazed we have been able to keep it to ourselves for so long! The express have had their hands full with covid nightmare stories to be fair!  

Anyway it has to happen yet, and this cold spell starts gently, will take a few bites at the cherry as it cools gradually and then freezes!

ECM T168:

EF9865B0-6335-4A69-AF37-18B584A43C88.thumb.png.66b81725c38be0958b0b866305d7d533.png

Take that!

That "high pressure" though trying to get in Norway