Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into the new year

SMU
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
2 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Yup.. he blocks people just for LIKING the tweets of someone who has disagreed with him, even if it was politely. Very, very bizarre. 

My idea of the pattern relaxing as we go through the first week of January is looking decidedly wrong now.. If anything the pattern begins to intensify through the first week across all the latest guidance. The GFS 06z shows us a clear & easy route to proper cold.

Griceland ridge > Griceland block > Retrogression to a Greenland block > Scandi trough > Cold.

COLD.thumb.png.cd0b29a633d91d723236b3bd76fe2480.pngCOLD1.thumb.png.0a6241676170440e831981a6fe264d35.png

This is BEFORE any SSW...

Agreed - the timetable is racing ahead and I had expected a softening of the pattern just after New Year. At the moment it would appear not....but maybe NWP is getting ahead of itself still. However if these charts 2/3/4 January come to pass then what might follow by 6/7/8 could be pretty “significant”...!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Incredible looking charts at relatively so early on in the season. It’s rare to get a reverse zonality chart showing in December, incredibly rare. 

Make the most and best out of this folks. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
2 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Agreed - the timetable is racing ahead and I had expected a softening of the pattern just after New Year. At the moment it would appear not....but maybe NWP is getting ahead of itself still. However if these charts 2/3/4 January come to pass then what might follow by 6/7/8 could be pretty “significant”...!

Yes indeed,  some seriously cold uppers now appearing to the East as we move into the New Year and currently modeled to drift this way.

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

Morning

Im not unleashing the boom charts just yet - Im saving it...

However they are coming.... Soon...

Is the dreaded West based -ve NAO a worry?

Posted
7 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Stunning! Glad it dropped the naff output from earlier! 

C61B46F4-634E-4691-8555-C93E07E8C812.png

To my very untrained eye that looks a stunning chart. A couple of days ago, and with a SSW apparently in the wings, I think members would have been salivating over such a chart but it is interesting to see how there seems to be a lot less positivity in here this morning.     

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Morning

Im not unleashing the boom charts just yet - Im saving it...

However they are coming.... Soon...

4pm today can't wait

• Like 2

Posted

Just for fun GFSP looks as if it will topple in deep, darkest FI, but might have a reload soon after? 

gfsnh-0-270.png

Edit: your mum might be stuck in tier 4 and can't go to Iceland, but the purple blob has gone on a winter Arctic safari... 

Edited by Griff

Posted
6 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Perhaps we really are seeing downward impacts of the weak strat already. ECM for Jan 3 on the trop/strat boundary is extremely supportive of an Iceland ridge and Euro cold backing west. 
image.thumb.png.e8c7ccde5e4d60e789db816ece56ff62.png

Living the dream at the moment! 

The para did start to show these quicker evolutions in FI before the regular GFS,  so maybe it could be strat related as the para has a better handle on events up there?

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Griff said:

Just for fun GFSP looks as if it will topple in deep, darkest FI, but might have a reload soon after? 

gfsnh-0-270.png

Edit: your mum might be stuck in tier 4 and can't go to Iceland, but the purple blob has gone on a winter Arctic safari... 

GFSP looks like it will still end well regardless 

gfsnh-0-300 (2).png

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

GFS 12z, still cold out to +336.  To my untrained eye, no real sign of mild for a change.  This is unlike any recent winter since I've been watching on here.   

Take your pick for best charts at the moment.  

Posted
5 minutes ago, Snowfish2 said:

What run Steve...... When

He may be knowledgeable, but I don't think he can see the future yet!

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, fromey said:

@bluearmy this one then.

2EBCFB26-C603-4F0E-95A1-6771375431E4.jpeg

move it 300 miles nw ......... compare it with the stuff being churned out by the other models early last week for this coming weekend 

it’s not that bad .....my point being that you dont take anything in isolation..... that’s what the idiots that read the express do ..... those on here are surely more  complex than that ???

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, B-C said:

GFS 12z, still cold out to +336.  To my untrained eye, no real sign of mild for a change.  This is unlike any recent winter since I've been watching on here.   

Take your pick for best charts at the moment.  

That’ll be yesterday’s chart. Check out 6z for today’s output.

• Like 2