Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow and Ice on Weather Station

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe cold, heavy snow, massive thunderstorms and bright sunshine.

Hi there.

I have a personal weather station in a suburban back garden.

The homemade Stevenson Screen is white, made of wood and has a roof gently sloping towards the back so rain can run off better.

With possible cold waves this Winter, I'd like to know what to do if snow falls and/or ice forms on the roof of the screen.

Here's the questions.

If snow falls on the screen roof and slats/single louvers on the sides of the screen, will that negatively affect max/min outdoor air temperature accuracy by making the temperature readings colder than what the accurate max/min outdoor temperature actually is?

If ice/frost forms on the screen roof and slats/single louvers on the sides of the screen, will that negatively affect max/min outdoor temperature accuracy by making the temperature readings colder than what the accurate max/min outdoor temperature actually is?

With ice, frost, or snow on the ground, do I brush it off the roof and slats/single louvers of the Stevenson Screen, to prevent colder temperature readings than what the accurate max/min outdoor temperature actually is?  

With deep snow on the ground, do I brush the snow on the ground away to maintain adequate distance between ground and thermometer, to prevent inaccurate colder temperatures than what the accurate max/min outdoor temperature actually is?

Two last questions I've thought of.

If it snows, how do I get rainfall totals from melted fallen snow in the automatic rain gauge I have attached in a backward direction to the painted white wooden pole the Stevenson Screen stands on?

How would I go about melting fallen snow in the automatic rain gauge? 

I hope I explained things well.

Merry Christmas and thank you.    

Edited by 2010cold