Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
7 minutes ago, JamesL said:

Interesting 

The met office see the front moving back through Wales later on today 

E10DC860-46D9-42F8-8A36-7F27A79ADAAC.png

Yes, it'll move back south. It'll be light and patchy by that point, not the active front it is now, but with the dribs and drabs of precipitation behind this main front and then it moving back southwards later, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see patchy snow continuing for much of the day before it all freezes solid tonight.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Derek brockway was wrong yet again saying less than 1cm for Barry.

This was always going to be a complex system to forecast , its more now casting .

• Like 1

Posted

Main band gone through now. Still snowing.  Got a vod and coke waiting for the second band to pop thru. Good covering at least an inch i reckon. Happy days

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*
5 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Yeah I don’t think the professionals did well with getting the word out there for this snowfall especially for Cardiff where most places are seeing over 3cm.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Panayiotis said:

Yeah I don’t think the professionals did well with getting the word out there for this snowfall especially for Cardiff where most places are seeing over 3cm.

Are we likely to see more snow after this main band? Met office are going for heavy snow until 7am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*
4 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Are we likely to see more snow after this main band? Met office are going for heavy snow until 7am.

Unless the showers behind organise into something more substantial then you might catch the odd heavy shower but that looks to be it especially as the second area of precipitation has weakened significantly and looks to be staying over sea 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Panayiotis said:

Unless the showers behind organise into something more substantial then you might catch the odd heavy shower but that looks to be it especially as the second area of precipitation has weakened significantly and looks to be staying over sea 

Isn't that small band still heading towards us? Look to be on the radar.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Panayiotis said:

Yes, I think I agree with this.

It's rare and likely won't happen on this occasion, but the Bristol Channel can be our friend in South Wales in a cold spell, acting as a funnel and directing snow into Cardiff and the Valleys. Almost lake-effect. I'm not sure if anyone remembers it but this happened unexpectedly on December 19th, 2009, and left quite a bit of snow.

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!
31 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

He wasn't that far off really, it os only about a 1cm covering here! But still more than I've seen since 2018 so I'll take it lol

• Like 1

Posted

Nice few centimetres in Newport! Didn't expect this much in a short space of time!

20210124_053610.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Gales - active weather!!!
16 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

Yes, I think I agree with this.

It's rare and likely won't happen on this occasion, but the Bristol Channel can be our friend in South Wales in a cold spell, acting as a funnel and directing snow into Cardiff and the Valleys. Almost lake-effect. I'm not sure if anyone remembers it but this happened unexpectedly on December 19th, 2009, and left quite a bit of snow.

Yes, I remember that in 2009, was fabulous.

JK

• Like 1

Posted

Bargoed photographs are at 5am, must be snowing as 5am on a Sunday for me to be up and looking - and I even decided to get up as the white friend is a rare visitor recently! My 5 year old grandson will be so excited later to see the snow.

It does look as Salisbury area might have been in the sweet spot as there is heavier pulses there, but we got ours . Think it might pivot too late for us in Valleys, it's already too far east, hope I am wrong. (not being greedy.... but...)

Snow 24 01 2021 ONE.jpg

Snow 24 01 2021 TWO.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Latest from Snow watch on Twitter

image.thumb.png.6ead889c4b7cd4a891dc07ee02ce33fe.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Covering here in Heath, Cardiff!! Probably 1-2cm. Guess I set my alarm to late!

D30658BC-0C7E-433A-A549-34A0D78FEB70.jpeg

• Like 2