Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow
2 hours ago, Ian Ballinger said:

So, we all looking forward to 3 days of none stop rain 

I can't wait, we need to fill the reservoirs back up after the long dry spell we've had ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️ I honestly can't think of anything worse, actually I can it could b colder rain

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Its looking quite bad the next few days with some quite severe weather in the forecast. No sign of any cold for the foreseeable future

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, freeze for all said:

I can't wait, we need to fill the reservoirs back up after the long dry spell we've had ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️ I honestly can't think of anything worse, actually I can it could b colder rain

Yeah, a bit of rain would keep the dust down too. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow.

I've just been up on my roof sealing the leaky flashing with Chromapol before all this rain comes in. Fingers crossed it helps!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
26 minutes ago, thetipster said:

Saturday looks of interesting next chance of snow we shall see

And Sunday and Monday according to GEM ...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Looks like flooding is a real significant risk for the Midlands and Northwestern England coming up where those two air masses meet.

I wouldn't rule out a red warning being issued on the metoffice site for that area

Posted
4 hours ago, Marcus_surfer said:

Looks like flooding is a real significant risk for the Midlands and Northwestern England coming up where those two air masses meet.

I wouldn't rule out a red warning being issued on the metoffice site for that area

What worries me is the tendency for this to shift west closer to the time! 

Posted
6 hours ago, Marcus_surfer said:

Nope the Midlands won't be badly affected as the weather systems are coming from the Atlantic so therfore nw wales and nw England will take a direct hit atm... I personally think South Wales might become wetter than currently predicted 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Total rainfall for Wales up to 6:00pm Tuesday as predicted by the Arome high definition model, which doesn’t go out any further.....

C4508667-2A02-4C7C-BCBA-F070429CE345.thumb.png.b941c657f5646a3d9466891e22ae1eff.png

The rain is forecast to continue through Wednesday as well, so these totals will continue to rise.  This is borne out by the Swiss 4x4 (based on the ECMWF model) which shows these totals up to 12 noon Wednesday....

637D46A8-0672-4535-9186-9A48C31854D2.thumb.png.45432ac7d668683acd7e47ecc790f3ed.png

Clearly, the MetOffice warnings should be taken seriously, especially in low lying areas close to rivers which drain the highest ground.  However, it is also true that some other models show lower levels of total rainfall, so we will need to keep watching to see where the worst affected areas will be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 hours ago, georgiedre said:

Nope the Midlands won't be badly affected as the weather systems are coming from the Atlantic so therfore nw wales and nw England will take a direct hit atm... I personally think South Wales might become wetter than currently predicted 

Like I said last night this issue will be more wales.  Nw England.  I see met office have changed their warnings ⚠️ now to confirm what I said last night. Keep safe.

P.s 

Usually when we get a deluge of rain like that in nw wales we then get a colder outlook and this case is the same.

Posted

IMBY post-

I expect snow on thrursday after the initial rain deluge. I have elevation on my side and did very well last cold spell. 2 miles down the road had nothing. Favoured spots again, few surprises. But, expecting flooding first tomorrow and Wednesday. What a week we have coming up.

• Like 2

Posted
55 minutes ago, Ian Ballinger said:

So whats happened to all this rain, met office says heavy rain now till Wednesday, but nothing on the radar 

warning doesn't begin till tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

what can I say... anyone living in a small village in Gwynedd at the bottom of a hill with the river running from the top of it... erm... !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

No more rain please, hopefully miss the worst here just like we miss the snow lol. I might attatch a boat to the car just in case!

• Like 1

Posted

Bring on the Spring I say, fed up of the exhaustion looking for cold, when it is hell bent on not arriving properly at least after so much promise  If this pattern is maintained into March, this will go down as the best winter that never was synoptically! 

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Cymro said:

Bring on the Spring I say, fed up of the exhaustion looking for cold, when it is hell bent on not arriving properly at least after so much promise  If this pattern is maintained into March, this will go down as the best winter that never was synoptically! 

Well put. 

Posted
38 minutes ago, Cymro said:

I agree that it's been a bit frustrating for many of us but actually, compared to every winter since 2013-14 (with the exception of 2017-18) this one has been an improvement, with some lengthy periods of below average temperatures, thought never unusually cold or snowy.

Statistically the current pattern is very unlikely to hold through until the end of winter in March. The hemisphere profile is very atypical at the moment and the full effects of the two SSWs are still yet to be seen. As for this week, my main worry is still the amount of rainfall (the 200 mm predicted in Gwynedd exceeds the totals that brought chaos to the Valleys in Storm Dennis), but some wintriness is not out of the question as Christoph finally clears early on Thursday. Also, the weekend is too far off have any real idea about but it does look chilly.

Oh, and in no way am I ready for Spring just yet!

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 1