Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
23 minutes ago, Cymro said:

Certainly agree, this week the warm sea surface temperatures have really proven a bitter pill to swallow across not only lowland Wales. This kind of setup with colder sea temps could have seen many areas buried. 

Take last night for example we are not far off 200m above sea level here, the hills around us are between 250 - 520m and yet there is no snow cover. Temps of around 2 degrees and a matching dewpoint, has meant we have had continuous sleet. The streamer last night had we have been a degree or two colder or, had better upper air temps + dewpoints would have dumped cm's of the white stuff across a huge swathe of Western Wales. 

Tomorrow, sadly will be a blink and you will miss it affair away from perhaps the Vale of Glamorgan inland or higher hills of Monmouth - unless a stark correction northwards (highly unlikely in this kind of setup) happens. 

Not to sound all doom and gloom but with this prolonged period of below average temperatures (At least) things can, and certainly will only get colder as the days progress, if we can sneak snowcover from an LP that helps us create a homegrown cold pool, we could be on the money...not so much yet though. 

I’m about a mile from the airport in the rural Vale of Glamorgan but I’m not hopeful of anything today or tomorrow. Just not cold enough. Yet...

Good luck everyone else inland and on higher ground. 

Posted

I wouldnt rule out the chance of snow for lower levels for some parts of Wales this week. Slightly colder -7 850s moving down Wales on weds evening and night with negative dewpoints. Ok, the showers will probably be on the N and W coasts/hills.

The trouble is when general precipitation will move south (perhaps thurs AM) the air is slightly warmer so snow only for 200- 300+ Then cooler air again Thurs PM but drier. A frustrating marginal yoyo this week!!

Edited by Ian Price
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground
7 minutes ago, Fujita scale said:

Rain here in Gilfach  

I'm  not in Bargoed today..I'm in Highfields in Blackwood so slightly more elevation...some big flakes mixed in every so often but more rain than snow. Timed it quite well today as as soon as I finished my run it started sleeting

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, andymusic said:

snowing and settling up in the heads of the valleys

image.thumb.png.7e977b4c4c4861ba3602a450af1400b8.png

And, before you think I'm being sarky, my Nain & Taid were quite defo Welsh!

• Like 1

Posted

No surprise that it is raining in Vale of Glamorgan. Derek goes for wintry mix and uncertainty in the forecast. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

4.8c and light rain in Barry

• Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, DeepSnow said:

4.8c and light rain in Barry

Just too warm round here so far. Barry can get some decent snow if the conditions favour it. I never expected to see the amount we had in March 2018 and yet, it came. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Latest forecast show the weather front tomorrow has moved down into Devon and Cornwall. I’m really starting to doubt any chances of snow in the Cardiff area.

Posted
4 minutes ago, John Lloyd said:

Just too warm round here so far. Barry can get some decent snow if the conditions favour it. I never expected to see the amount we had in March 2018 and yet, it came. 

That's because we had a major continental easterly which brings temps/dewpoints/850hpa right down to 0 and below at all altitudes, even down to sea level

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowguy said:

Latest forecast show the weather front tomorrow has moved down into Devon and Cornwall. I’m really starting to doubt any chances of snow in the Cardiff area.

early days yet - coldest parts of winter is yet to come

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow
Just now, andymusic said:

early days yet - coldest parts of winter is yet to come

True, lots more opportunities to come throughout this winter into March

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

That's because we had a major continental easterly which brings temps/dewpoints/850hpa right down to 0 and below at all altitudes, even down to sea level

Yes, absolutely - I was in a sweet spot for it. Only 50M ASL but the farm was plastered and the lanes were plugged with drifts for days. Get the synoptics right and even the unlikely areas like mine can get in on it. I used to live nearer you (in Tongwynlais) and had lots of great snow events in my youth. Fingers crossed that January’s model runs and the potential SSW deliver. 

Posted
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

and yet a winter wonderland up on the heads of the valleys - i got sleet by the way

image.thumb.png.2b1e18d4cbe2e6e3afd984831d03c88a.png

Out of curiosity Andy how high above sea level are we in this photo? 450m? 

One annoying feature of this cold spell to date is the missed opportunities of precipitation being rain rather than snow, but because of this as well, temperatures are struggling to fall back at night, like they did Christmas morning. I would rather a week of frosts to start down to a good -4/-5 of an evening then marginality would become far less of an issue. 

• Like 2

Posted

P.s Am I one of the only members who actually doesn't look forward one bit to easterlies? We didn't even manage a covering with the Beast from the East, the beacons sucked it all up. Was one of the most difficult weather moments to watch to date. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Cymro said:

Out of curiosity Andy how high above sea level are we in this photo? 450m? 

One annoying feature of this cold spell to date is the missed opportunities of precipitation being rain rather than snow, but because of this as well, temperatures are struggling to fall back at night, like they did Christmas morning. I would rather a week of frosts to start down to a good -4/-5 of an evening then marginality would become far less of an issue. 

yes admittedly it's the highest point on the heads of the valleys - ebbw vale and tredegar/rhumney are also enjoying the white stuff too

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

The sun is out in swansea and snow shield in full force

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow
1 minute ago, Cymro said:

P.s Am I one of the only members who actually doesn't look forward one bit to easterlies? We didn't even manage a covering with the Beast from the East, the beacons sucked it all up. Was one of the most difficult weather moments to watch to date. 

In 2018 when we had that low pressure run into the cold pool of air with a strong easterly flow it produced some very impressive snow amounts across South Wales, I belive around 1ft in cardiff? Luckily I was in Bridgend and got to see some heavy snow at the time but back in Swansea aside from some flakes in the wind and being very cold was much of nothing, rain shadow or in this case a snow shadow as precipitation trained east to west over higher ground of south wales, leaving very little for those west of high ground. 

Hopefully there will be more opportunities as time goes on with this current cold spell. 

• Like 1