Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
1 hour ago, Loadsa2000 said:

You still with us or been blown away

Morning!   Still here but that was a bad night.   Didn’t get much sleep to start with and then at 2:15am the power went out.  The guys at Western Power had it back on by 3:00am so my thanks to whoever had to come out in that weather and make repairs.....  but by then I couldn’t go back to sleep so had to sit and listen to the racket outside.  I think the MetOffice got this wrong - it should have been an amber warning and a name would have made people more aware of the strength of the winds.  Maybe it’s because it didn’t affect England too much, I don’t know.   I’ve had a look around outside and no real damage, thankfully, but I’ve got one of those large ‘store it out’ boxes full of garden tools, hose, and other bits and pieces - pretty heavy.  This was lifted bodily off its base and turned on its side, then blown several feet across the ground.  Must have been one massive gust to achieve that.....      I hope your caravan is OK!

WWW.WALESONLINE.CO.UK

Thousands of homes are without power and a Met Office weather warning is in place until later today
Edited by Sky Full
  • Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Sky Full said:

Morning!   Still here but that was a bad night.   Didn’t get much sleep to start with and then at 2:15am the power went out.  The guys at Western Power had it back on by 3:00am so my thanks to whoever had to come out in that weather and make repairs.....  but by then I couldn’t go back to sleep so had to sit and listen to the racket outside.  I think the MetOffice got this wrong - it should have been an amber warning and a name would have made people more aware of the strength of the winds.  Maybe it’s because it didn’t affect England too much, I don’t know.   I’ve had a look around outside and no real damage, thankfully, but I’ve got one of those large ‘store it out’ boxes full of garden tools, hose, and other bits and pieces - pretty heavy.  This was lifted bodily off its base and turned on its side, then blown several feet across the ground.  Must have been one massive gust to achieve that.....      I hope your caravan is OK!

WWW.WALESONLINE.CO.UK

Thousands of homes are without power and a Met Office weather warning is in place until later today

Well i havent had the call yet (fingers crossed) Was worried about my plastic shed behind it. Have got it rawl plugged into paving slabs and two tension straps over it.

It was pretty wild here on the side of the mountain

Reached 87km gusts no power cuts but plenty of bins rolling down the street

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

After a wild windy night a cold showery day.  Got pelleted by hailstones taking Norm the dog for a lunchtime walk and drove through a sharp sleet burst on the way home from Tregeiriog to Glyn Ceiriog this dusk.

• Like 1

Posted

Quite nice today with many sunny periods between the clouds.  Only had one brief sleety shower so far but the wind is still strong and pretty chilly, too.  The wind is expected to increase overnight again but not as bad as Thursday night, then gradually easing until next week, when we could have another spell of settled weather.  No heatwave in sight, yet, though......

Posted
18 hours ago, Sky Full said:

Quite nice today with many sunny periods between the clouds.  Only had one brief sleety shower so far but the wind is still strong and pretty chilly, too.  The wind is expected to increase overnight again but not as bad as Thursday night, then gradually easing until next week, when we could have another spell of settled weather.  No heatwave in sight, yet, though......

Never fear it will start on the 27th when the van opens

• Like 1

Posted

Awesome hail shower just now, a few snowflakes mixed in too. Everywhere is white with hail, decent sized hailstones too.

Posted

I think the last of the organised rain associated with the trailing front has passed over us now, and although still cloudy it’s definitely brightening up here.  The high pressure should now start to take effect and I’m looking forward to a few days of dry and settled weather even if the sun isn’t shining all the time.  I tend to look the weather as it affects the garden and know that I can very soon begin to start planting for the summer.  

• Like 1

Posted

It’s been a generally quiet, mostly cloudy week of weather here, although some sunny intervals cheered things up from time to time.  The wind has been mainly north/northeasterly and this has kept the temperatures down but we’ve had no frosts this week.  I don’t mind it quiet for a while after what seemed like endless weeks of gales in February but it would be nice to see some warm and sunny weather soon.  Looks like some wet and windier weather is expected next week but after that......maybe signs of summer.

• Like 1

Posted

A really potent squall moved through here at 6:00am with strong gusts and heavy rain.  Thought the day was ruined before it began, but it’s all passed over now and the sun has been out to dry us off a bit!  Looks like a cool, showery day with sunny bits in between.  May be able to get some stuff done outside.  I understand the windows need cleaning according to the boss....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and hot sun
10 hours ago, Sky Full said:

A really potent squall moved through here at 6:00am with strong gusts and heavy rain.  Thought the day was ruined before it began, but it’s all passed over now and the sun has been out to dry us off a bit!  Looks like a cool, showery day with sunny bits in between.  May be able to get some stuff done outside.  I understand the windows need cleaning according to the boss....

A day of two halves, second milking the heavens opened and we had sleet and driving wind. Gusts measuring 42mph. Actual temp 4 degrees feels like - 1. 

Still cannot roll the fields. Cows still in at night as the grass is very slow coming. Sunrise this week has been spectacular and earlier. 

Can't wait to feel the sun warming things up again! 

Garden visitors are still coming to the feeders. Don't see woodpeckers here that often though! 

IMG-20210322-WA0001.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Made use of the lifting of travel restrictions to visit Fishguard and one of our favourite fish and chips shops - ‘Hooked’.  Haven’t been able to go there for months!  The weather was absolutely awful with very strong to gale force winds driving heavy drizzle horizontally across the bay.  At some points we couldn’t see across the harbour for the mist and low clouds but it was clear the ferry to Ireland had not sailed on Saturday night.  The Irish Sea must have been really rough because that ferry rarely gets cancelled!   Anyway, the fish and chips were as good as ever and the shop looks very busy.  Good to see they survived the crisis and hopefully will now get a bumper tourist season as people holiday in the UK.   Now we need the weather to improve and the pubs to open so we can return to the Sloop at Porthgain again.

• Like 1

Posted
17 hours ago, Sky Full said:

Made use of the lifting of travel restrictions to visit Fishguard and one of our favourite fish and chips shops - ‘Hooked’.  Haven’t been able to go there for months!  The weather was absolutely awful with very strong to gale force winds driving heavy drizzle horizontally across the bay.  At some points we couldn’t see across the harbour for the mist and low clouds but it was clear the ferry to Ireland had not sailed on Saturday night.  The Irish Sea must have been really rough because that ferry rarely gets cancelled!   Anyway, the fish and chips were as good as ever and the shop looks very busy.  Good to see they survived the crisis and hopefully will now get a bumper tourist season as people holiday in the UK.   Now we need the weather to improve and the pubs to open so we can return to the Sloop at Porthgain again.

Yes it was rough here yesterday. Did you come over to Strumble Head? I can vouch for the stinking weather, as I was on the headland repairing a fence. Who needs an exfoliating cream when you have sea salt . 

Any of you weather gurus giving any credence to the rumours of snow / artic weather over the Easter weekend? 

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Penfoel said:

Yes it was rough here yesterday. Did you come over to Strumble Head? I can vouch for the stinking weather, as I was on the headland repairing a fence. Who needs an exfoliating cream when you have sea salt . 

Any of you weather gurus giving any credence to the rumours of snow / artic weather over the Easter weekend? 

Didn’t get to Strumble Head - honestly the weather discouraged going any further up the coast, and I really sympathise with you having to work outside in it.  You’ll soon be compensated by the beautiful wild flower display which occurs up there every Spring.  I’ll definitely be along the coast path to see it sometime in early May, I reckon!   

There seems to be no doubt that we’re going to be on the wrong end of northerly blast in early April but the two main models are not in full agreement about the way this will affect Wales.  However, as things stand it looks like we can expect several overnight frosts from the 5th April anywhere away from the coast, but apart from wintry showers I don’t think snow is likely.  Personally,  I believe this forecast may be moderated - maybe even as soon as tomorrow - and that the west coast of Wales may remain frost free, but it’s too early to say for sure.

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, snowy36 said:

Just when u thought winter was over here it comes again. 

Definitely looks like we’re on for a northerly. 

I wonder will it bring with it a Pembrokeshire Dangler!? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain
12 hours ago, marclt said:

Definitely looks like we’re on for a northerly. 

I wonder will it bring with it a Pembrokeshire Dangler!? 

Looking very likely I would say winds NNE N or NNW wet bulb 0c 850hpa temps -9 freezing level 0-100m 520 thicknesses cold and unstable could be a right dumping where the line of showers set up. 

• Like 1

Posted

Ludicrous, really, but this ECM chart shows 2-5cm of lying snow in many parts of Wales by the 6th April.  

C836ADCA-F864-471E-9328-FC9F99B48EBB.thumb.png.4d8812099c40c0ad412c770b8bc80894.png

This may just mean that the areas shown are expected to have had enough showers for the snow to lie 2-5cm deep if it laid, but I can’t believe we will see lying snow for two or three days next week....except at the highest levels anyway.  .   Temperatures will not remain below freezing during the day and even at night it shouldn’t get much below 0C.  I still think the coldest air is going to move east and that west Wales at least should avoid hard frosts.....   Don’t bet on it, though!

• Thanks 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Sky Full said:

Ludicrous, really, but this ECM chart shows 2-5cm of lying snow in many parts of Wales by the 6th April.  

C836ADCA-F864-471E-9328-FC9F99B48EBB.thumb.png.4d8812099c40c0ad412c770b8bc80894.png

This may just mean that the areas shown are expected to have had enough showers for the snow to lie 2-5cm deep if it laid, but I can’t believe we will see lying snow for two or three days next week....except at the highest levels anyway.  .   Temperatures will not remain below freezing during the day and even at night it shouldn’t get much below 0C.  I still think the coldest air is going to move east and that west Wales at least should avoid hard frosts.....   Don’t bet on it, though!

Quotes widespread snow for Wales Monday Tuesday Wednesday.With active heavy showers with the biting cold Northerly. 

Screenshot_20210331-222950_Chrome.jpg

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1

Posted

Doesn’t look like being moderated as much as I had suggested, but I’m still hoping the coldest air will be kept away from the west coast!   

Edited by Sky Full
  • Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, keithlucky said:

Quotes widespread snow for Wales Monday Tuesday Wednesday.With active heavy showers with the biting cold Northerly. 

Screenshot_20210331-222950_Chrome.jpg

Looks inevitable, now, I agree.  But perhaps the snow will be in the form of widespread showers and I doubt it could last long on the ground.  It’s not the snow which worries me - it’ll be great to see it falling - it’s hard overnight frosts at this time of year I hate because all the tender growth which has been tempted out by recent warm temperatures will be hammered.

Posted

Not necessarily to be taken as accurate at this range, but the GEM has these temperatures for Wales at 7:00am on Wednesday 7th April.....

87B7CC38-8296-414A-95BD-5AEEB042E0F1.thumb.png.0ff0c0381e1cc031a66e9e79ae41d758.png

That would be a severe shock to the system for any frost sensitive plants which have been careless enough to venture out this Spring.....

• Like 1

Posted

The potatoes in south Pembs will be fine!

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, Sky Full said:

Doesn’t look like being moderated as much as I had suggested, but I’m still hoping the coldest air will be kept away from the west coast!   

Me too

Cows are now outside, they will freeze their bits off. ❄️

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Sky Full said:

Looks inevitable, now, I agree.  But perhaps the snow will be in the form of widespread showers and I doubt it could last long on the ground.  It’s not the snow which worries me - it’ll be great to see it falling - it’s hard overnight frosts at this time of year I hate because all the tender growth which has been tempted out by recent warm temperatures will be hammered.

Heavy snow for Wales looks likely as we reach the reliable timeframe.Streamers will set up Sunday Monday.Settling snow overnight with heavy snow in places.

Screenshot_20210401-172702_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210401-172646_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210401-172633_Chrome.jpg

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1