Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
3 hours ago, snefnug said:

Happy St David’s Day!

A chilly 0c and another frosty morning.  Forecast temps not as high as yesterday, so tops 7c for our valley, but sunshine most of the day.

Spoke too soon.  Mist, fog? has wound its way up the valley so horrible grey dank morning.

Edited by snefnug

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Another nice sunny day although about 3 degrees colder than  yesterday due to the wind being off the chilly sea.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
10 hours ago, Ian Ballinger said:

Well looks like Wednesday will give the new station a test

Yes.  Hope you’ve got it well screwed down!   Looking forward to hearing how it performs as I need to get something here too.

Posted

Maximum wind gusts for Wales either side of 9:00pm next Wednesday as predicted by the ECM this morning......

43E9F8ED-14DC-4D95-9C71-666A2E069755.thumb.png.235d9618703d3e93d6975ab2b3fe474c.png

This is bound to change as we get nearer the middle of next week so one to watch.

• Like 2

Posted
48 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

Maximum wind gusts for Wales either side of 9:00pm next Wednesday as predicted by the ECM this morning......

43E9F8ED-14DC-4D95-9C71-666A2E069755.thumb.png.235d9618703d3e93d6975ab2b3fe474c.png

This is bound to change as we get nearer the middle of next week so one to watch.

Thats windy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and hot sun
2 hours ago, Sky Full said:

Best not get the slurry spreader out then . 

Thanks for the heads up. Cracking day here. Cold and dry. The fields are almost dry enough to turn the cows out. It seems to have been a long winter! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Sky Full said:

Yes.  Hope you’ve got it well screwed down!   Looking forward to hearing how it performs as I need to get something here too.

Haha fingers crossed

For anyone who's interested, I've set up a website to see current conditions and historic data, well going back to January 

WWW.PORTHMADOG-WEATHER.CO.UK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 hours ago, Penfoel said:

Best not get the slurry spreader out then

Thanks for the heads up. Cracking day here. Cold and dry. The fields are almost dry enough to turn the cows out. It seems to have been a long winter! 

Nooo!  Please don’t!  It’d probably reach me from there!

If you thought that looked windy, this is what the ECM now shows for 6:00am next Thursday (wind gusts km/hr)....

C9A94E5E-10C9-4F29-B082-9ACE3FC9B816.thumb.png.403254ed29ce41400821277565e05f5c.png

So, it has changed.  For the worse .   I’m sure it won’t be as apocalyptic as this, though, come the day....   Other models are not quite so pessimistic, at this stage anyway.

• Thanks 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Sky Full said:

Nooo!  Please don’t!  It’d probably reach me from there!

If you thought that looked windy, this is what the ECM now shows for 6:00am next Thursday (wind gusts km/hr)....

C9A94E5E-10C9-4F29-B082-9ACE3FC9B816.thumb.png.403254ed29ce41400821277565e05f5c.png

So, it has changed.  For the worse .   I’m sure it won’t be as apocalyptic as this, though, come the day....   Other models are not quite so pessimistic, at this stage anyway.

That's my caravan down St Davids blown away or maybe the shed behind it

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ian Ballinger said:

That's the weather warning issued, forecast has me down for 67mph gusts. From previous experience it's normally worse here than forecast 

Beat me to it!  MetO has 67mph maximum gusts forecast for here, too, and 62mph on the coast at Fishguard and Aberystwyth, for example.  It’s difficult to see this downgrading much now but I’m hoping it doesn’t get any worse.  Surely the storm will be named by tomorrow, especially as there’s 40mm of rain predicted for this location over Wednesday and Thursday?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

Very much the calm before the storm at the moment 

Posted
5 hours ago, Sky Full said:

Beat me to it!  MetO has 67mph maximum gusts forecast for here, too, and 62mph on the coast at Fishguard and Aberystwyth, for example.  It’s difficult to see this downgrading much now but I’m hoping it doesn’t get any worse.  Surely the storm will be named by tomorrow, especially as there’s 40mm of rain predicted for this location over Wednesday and Thursday?

Well it seems to be getting worse on the met office, gusts over 70mph here now

Posted

A consensus between the models indicates that the worst of the windy conditions will arrive in Wales after midnight on Wednesday, peaking around 3:00am to 4:00am Thursday morning, before gradually subsiding up to midday Thursday.    This chart shows peak wind gusts forecast by the ECM for 3:00am Thursday:

8AD794CB-73C7-4004-B39F-211F7BAD7D9A.thumb.png.00e85384cee81421115ac7a9e1d9134f.png

....and this is expected rainfall totals for Wales for the 24 hours from Wednesday midnight:

664BB802-748E-44EE-8420-D627A93C0EDE.thumb.png.06353f04fdb6c5616dc173c23eae23bf.png

We’ve all seen worse, it’s true, but let’s hope this is the last such Atlantic storm we have to face before next Autumn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Ian Ballinger said:

Well it seems to be getting worse on the met office, gusts over 70mph here now

Yes - looks like a double whammy for Porthmadog - lots of rain and wind!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

Yes - looks like a double whammy for Porthmadog - lots of rain and wind!

I'm actually in Morfa Bychan with nothing between me and the sea to slow the wind down 

• Like 2

Posted

MetO now showing 50mph sustained wind speeds here for an hour or two around 3:00am Thursday, with gusts up to 75mph.  Not quite serious enough to be given a name though.....   Once this has passed things should gradually quieten down until the weekend, after which it looks like another settled period is on the way, although not yet what I would call ‘warm’.  Maybe we’ll get some properly warm sunny weather in April.

Posted
10 hours ago, Sky Full said:

MetO now showing 50mph sustained wind speeds here for an hour or two around 3:00am Thursday, with gusts up to 75mph.  Not quite serious enough to be given a name though.....   Once this has passed things should gradually quieten down until the weekend, after which it looks like another settled period is on the way, although not yet what I would call ‘warm’.  Maybe we’ll get some properly warm sunny weather in April.

How worse would it have to be to get a name

Posted
3 hours ago, Ian Ballinger said:

How worse would it have to be to get a name

I think sustained wind speeds would need to be over 50mph more widely and gusts of over 80mph maybe inland rather than just around the coast and hills.  They say it’s dependent on the likelihood of damage and disruption so storms in summer and autumn especially where they affect more densely populated areas get named more often because of the increased chance of falling trees.   Even so, this one must be near the mark by the sound of the wind outside now.  I’m probably not going to get a good nights sleep tonight.

Posted

Seeing gusts of 50 mph now, lots of things banging outside!

Pete

Posted
11 hours ago, Sky Full said:

I think sustained wind speeds would need to be over 50mph more widely and gusts of over 80mph maybe inland rather than just around the coast and hills.  They say it’s dependent on the likelihood of damage and disruption so storms in summer and autumn especially where they affect more densely populated areas get named more often because of the increased chance of falling trees.   Even so, this one must be near the mark by the sound of the wind outside now.  I’m probably not going to get a good nights sleep tonight.

You still with us or been blown away

• Like 1