Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
1 hour ago, blackrose73 said:

I'm not normally this downbeat, but it has to be said, this cold spell has been pants for Wales! We may get a little snow on Saturday but probably not much before milder air floods in. Where I live it's been cold, windy, dry and not even that sunny. No frost or freezing fog because of the wind, which wasn't quite strong enough to blow many of those snow showers affecting the east of England this far west, just one or two on Monday. Altogether a bit of a yawn!!

I didn't think much of this so called cold snap last weekend , i just couldn't see anything interesting happening. 

Posted
17 minutes ago, Cymro said:

Are you sure you haven’t had frosts? Remember the air is dry so might not be visible but that doesn’t mean it’s not below freezing. My garden has been frozen solid and hasn’t once thawed since Sunday. A noteable cold spell but not for snow but constant low temperatures. 

This is pretty standard affair for easterlies in Wales IMO. But much better than rain and mild mush! 

I didn't say temperatures were not below freezing. The humidity has been low as a result of low dew points, coupled with the wind has resulted in no noticeable frost, where I live at least. Plenty of ice around though. I agree with it being better than mild mush but it seemed likely we could have managed a snowy breakdown. Alas, not to be.

Edited by blackrose73

Posted
13 hours ago, andymusic said:

harmonie midday saturday

image.thumb.png.4b6bda39a8ebfcde40ae13b477dc20b2.png

One last hurrah from this cold spell.Front stalls.Snow lasts for a few hrs.Most of the heavier precipitation stays out west.Sweet spot anywhere in west Wales 2 to 4cms.Hope I'm wrong but High pressure weakening the front as it pushes east.

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 2

Posted

Just checked netweather radar upon waking up , had dark blue ppn over where i live for an hour and checked outside and it is bone dry ! The easterly winds Must be evaporating the snow.  Has Anybody else had any settling or seen any ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

A Shower pushed in a few hours ago but evaporated before hitting the ground here

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!
6 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Some very light snow here. BBC are avoiding showing tomorrow's weather forecast I wonder why.

They did show earlier light snow and said 1-2cm across Wales tomorrow, then ITV wales showed the snow and said 3-4cm tomorrow, all depends how quickly it fizzles out against the cold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, DeepSnow said:

They did show earlier light snow and said 1-2cm across Wales tomorrow, then ITV wales showed the snow and said 3-4cm tomorrow, all depends how quickly it fizzles out against the cold.

The icon still looks decent this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Taken some snapshots of tomorrow from almost all the models. I would say overall an upgrade for tomorrow this morning compared to yesterday.

All vary the position of precip and intensity. Really hoping something like ICON or Arome come off with a good snow event for many of us to finish the cold spell.

ICON

BEAE80A2-BACA-49DD-BEE3-B468116ED520.thumb.png.b5cdb61cc9b5899b8e133d3e7cee451b.png

Arpege

53D735F0-89DE-4B0C-99EC-2E41A79074AE.thumb.png.137681eb190876bb925cced2f0d71974.png

HARMONIE

CE42AB9C-D308-48E9-B64A-DABDBEB19EB8.thumb.png.9a34e3ca7d30cac62ff1583402683462.png

AROME

2D80AF57-F913-4FA9-AB9B-89D5C7288F33.thumb.png.64e21fd6ef3e30a5d76e31eb3e7c60c9.png

GFS

E1517474-4D8E-4C73-9AE2-83840315C468.thumb.gif.511ea5a15ec6a4525c508735ac0ff883.gif

EURO4

99589660-49B3-4676-9077-D36BD93D22F0.thumb.png.3b57b8a10586332c9e05643622dccaa5.png

ECM

us_model-en-330-0_modez_2021021200_36_4855_13.thumb.png.ae996d9602f3e13c50a3f3c369410953.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in Winter / Thunderstorms + Heat in Summer

Latest UKV for tomorrow:

image.thumb.png.c10ee93075312323cd4f95663b102355.png.    image.thumb.png.7db37b3877652ad5f6173a8bab0977a8.png.      

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!

hopefully we continue to see upgrades through the next 12/24 hours ....:-)  been up and down this one! looks like 2-4 cm across majority of wales at the moment

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
1 hour ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Quite a bit of heavy snow through the spine of Wales on that chart!

5cm an hour more or less over us in this chart jay lol...cant see that being correct lol

ps if there is any substance to it met office warnings should tell at 11am today!

Edited by goosey007
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Theres certainly a swing in favour today of a period of falling snow for Wales tomorrow going by 0z data. My guess is if this is continued to be shown they may extend their warning further south and east across Wales....we will see.

• Like 2

Posted

Forecast for me tomorrow...

332288424_Screenshot2021-02-12at10_11_38.thumb.png.1adf64d15e0ba36baafb9286b09d743f.png

Yes please!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

After a good 00z set, just to show that the uncertainty is still high for tomorrow, the short range models Arome, Arpege, Harmonie and ICON have all downgraded compared to 00z outputs. GFS not great too.

All part of the rollercoaster as normal and I'm sure what actually happens will still be slightly different to the models anyway. UKV looks good though as per Matts post. ^

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow
26 minutes ago, bradymk said:

After a good 00z set, just to show that the uncertainty is still high for tomorrow, the short range models Arome, Arpege, Harmonie and ICON have all downgraded compared to 00z outputs. GFS not great too.

All part of the rollercoaster as normal and I'm sure what actually happens will still be slightly different to the models anyway. UKV looks good though as per Matts post. ^

Latest Met Office warnings are out, doesnt seem like they believe anything really accumilating on low ground in the south.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, SnowStorm(Jamie) said:

Latest Met Office warnings are out, doesnt seem like they believe anything really accumilating on low ground in the south.

Yeah a little bit underwhelming. But they did the same thing a couple of weeks ago only to change their mind and put a warning out on the day itself, so let's hope for a repeat performance!

Edited by mattrout92
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/blizzard

How likely is the snow to stick around coastal areas tomorrow? Or is it inland areas only that will see snow sticking?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow.

Come on weather gods, just one last hurrah. That's all we ask. Then less rain, that would be nice, eh.