Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
7 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

GFS gives us decent snow totals.

Yup. This from the higher res Arpege too keeps some good intensity in whatever we get. Tbh, even if we end up in Spring next week, 3 snow events in one winter puts this as a great one for me. Not a classic, but been a nice distraction!

arpegeuk-45-83-0.thumb.png.a92e0f81ddcffd96bb84714da4271e5f.png

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, RhysWales said:

Yup. This from the higher res Arpege too keeps some good intensity in whatever we get. Tbh, even if we end up in Spring next week, 3 snow events in one winter puts this as a great one for me. Not a classic, but been a nice distraction!

arpegeuk-45-83-0.thumb.png.a92e0f81ddcffd96bb84714da4271e5f.png

Nice snowfall Saturday hopefully and then winter can end lol.

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, mattrout92 said:

ECM for Saturday:

image.thumb.png.490037fce17611ead1aecf35f8fba267.pngimage.thumb.png.2cedd713e33cac4ff535b4a6e6f35377.png     

Also fizzles out by the next frame. That would be painful with heavy rain barreling through on the next front. My money's on Arpege / GFS / ICON etc, lol! Any idea how the UKMO treats it Matt?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

ECM 12z for Saturday if anything makes less of the front but still shows a period of snow.

GFS 12z view on Saturday, not much precipitation about. Goes onto bring in a more widespread risk of snow away from coasts early hours of Monday.

gfssat.thumb.png.640e6786dbf5da9dc81bb5f2d819a54e.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in Winter / Thunderstorms + Heat in Summer
18 minutes ago, RhysWales said:

Also fizzles out by the next frame. That would be painful with heavy rain barreling through on the next front. My money's on Arpege / GFS / ICON etc, lol! Any idea how the UKMO treats it Matt?

Yep UKV Extended looking like this for Saturday, a bit better than the ECM! Not great for SW Wales though unfortunately

image.thumb.png.e995b107588e6f90551e728cae0c5574.png.     image.thumb.png.80aa38f9d3a2f909677c893666e17bd9.png.      

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

I wonder if we get to see some unusual  sized snowflakes if we get the precipitation this weekend? Given the marginality of the 850hPa I would suspect so...

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, mattrout92 said:

Yep UKV Extended looking like this for Saturday, a bit better than the ECM! Not great for SW Wales though unfortunately

image.thumb.png.e995b107588e6f90551e728cae0c5574.png.     image.thumb.png.80aa38f9d3a2f909677c893666e17bd9.png.      

Met Office will need to adjust their warning if that's what's expected. Half the time they don't make sense.

• Like 1

Posted

Latest from Fergie. Make of this not a clue

ricky. A hero-to-zero story for forecasters with *yet another* fiddly local weekend f'cast (& even beyond isn't yet wholly convincing). Re Sat, wide range of possibilities is obvious from models; frm German ICON (a decent model always perused in eg UKMO deliberations) to...zilch

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
3 minutes ago, Loadsa2000 said:

ricky. A hero-to-zero story for forecasters with *yet another* fiddly local weekend f'cast (& even beyond isn't yet wholly convincing). Re Sat, wide range of possibilities is obvious from models; frm German ICON (a decent model always perused in eg UKMO deliberations) to...zilch

Double Dutch 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in Winter / Thunderstorms + Heat in Summer
9 minutes ago, Loadsa2000 said:

He's saying it's hard to forecast this weekend's weather especially Saturday because some models like the ICON are forecasting 10-15cm of snow, whereas others like the GFS and ECM are forecasting close to 0cm

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, mattrout92 said:

He's saying it's hard to forecast this weekend's weather especially Saturday because some models like the ICON are forecasting 10-15cm of snow, whereas others like the GFS and ECM are forecasting close to 0cm

understood that, but how come there is such a big difference in the models. They havent got a clue by the sounds of it. Its been like this since start of January. To me the forecast recently are literally done by looking out of the window. Both the BBC and Met office have chopped and changed their forecasts by the hour 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, WINTRY WALES said:

I’ve been a member on this weather forum for 10 years plus...then a couple of others before that. I can honestly say, and no offence to anyone, but the ability to accurate predict weather more than a week out as not really improved at all. Teleconnections as seen as a step forward but I think for our small country in the location it is in I doubt wether anyone could ever foresee our weather as it’s so difficult. If our experts were tasked to predict weather in larger land masses like the US I think the success would be much higher. Stick your head out the window is the way forward for us unfortunately 

I completely agree and model watching provides very,very little information apart from wind and rain which is, unfortunately, our main weather.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Coilspring said:

I completely agree and model watching provides very,very little information apart from wind and rain which is, unfortunately, our main weather.

And I imagine if we analysed rainfall etc...models etc would be incorrect! Just we are not too interested to notice. Not sure if we will ever crack the weather “code”

• Like 1

Posted

Well, Everton have just taught me it's definitely not over til it's over.... Have the models given up on it for good then?

Posted

Pretty cold out there with us now.

-4.9c on my gauge. I think we get colder snaps when we get straight northerlies.  Better for us in terms of snow out west. 

Posted

I think we can pretty much all agree once more, an Easterly brings us crisp, cold, nice and dry winter days, better than all that miserable grey sky and rain (unless you're that way inclined - some folk are), but with little snow. Rarely we hit the jackpot of the low moving in from the West and stalling with a Boom and we get "Eira Mawr, Eira Mawr". These are rare, but great when it happens. 

Majority of the time unfortunately,  the warm air pushes in and the cold Easterly is often in quick retreat, and it's snow to rain if we're lucky.

What will it be this weekend? One of those rare Jackpot moments, or the usual 'so close yet so far' moment? 

Seeing nobody knows, I will have a punt on the lottery this weekend, and at the same time the numbers are drawn, look out my window towards the lamp post and see "what's occurin'"

Edited by Gee
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Well, not what I was hoping to wake up to with the models. No real sign of snow the next few days and the it becomes spring like next week. I will enjoy the warmer weather though!

• Like 2

Posted
46 minutes ago, DeepSnow said:

Well, not what I was hoping to wake up to with the models. No real sign of snow the next few days and the it becomes spring like next week. I will enjoy the warmer weather though!

Still a bit of snow being shown but not enough lol. Roll on warmer temperatures.

• Like 1