Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
2 minutes ago, Lloyd1 said:

I thought that was the whole point of a discussion thread? I’m assuming people’s views tend to conflict another’s during a normal discussion until an agreement or validity in data is achieved

Not sure there was any need for that? I was just reminding people that details are bound to change. The first bit about the mood was a little tongue in cheek as a result of recent discussions.

Edited by blackrose73
  • Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Lloyd1 said:

I thought that was the whole point of a discussion thread? I’m assuming people’s views tend to conflict another’s during a normal discussion until an agreement or validity in data is achieved

Lol let not turn into the model thread and concentrate on the next 5 days.

• Like 7

Posted

From what I can see, the big snow maker that was on the ECM this morning is much further south on tonight’s run.  It’s then the next low pressure that powers right through the U.K.  Impossible to say at this stage if that’s how it’ll play out.  Both this mornings and tonight’s options equally plausible in my opinion. 

Edited by Pembs458
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain

If anyone remembers the big snowfall of 1982 I don't wasn't born, but here are the archive charts from wetterzentrale. In my village people lost their cars in the drifts and a local farmer even lost his tractor. But you can see how far the mild air has to penetrate the cold for good dumping. You can on this event it stalled and the cold air won. Ive attached how it all started on the 5th until the 8th the cold air won and headed back south.

NOAA_1_1982010512_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010612_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010712_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010812_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010912_2.png

• Like 8

Posted
34 minutes ago, Gerryhattrick said:

Forecast for next week for Newport. 

Hope it's right but think it's a bit OTT

Screenshot_20210204-200055_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210204-200040_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210204-200019_Chrome.jpg

Not really you south east Wales so you the best place in Wales to receive snow showers ,so enjoy!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, danthetan said:

If anyone remembers the big snowfall of 1982 I don't wasn't born, but here are the archive charts from wetterzentrale. In my village people lost their cars in the drifts and a local farmer even lost his tractor. But you can see how far the mild air has to penetrate the cold for good dumping. You can on this event it stalled and the cold air won. Ive attached how it all started on the 5th until the 8th the cold air won and headed back south.

NOAA_1_1982010512_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010612_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010712_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010812_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010912_2.png

1982 was historic for Pembrokeshire, from what I’ve been told.  I wasn’t born either.  But whenever snow is forecast my dad always tells me the story of how he could almost touch the top of the telegraph poles because the snow had drifted so high!  Would love to witness that, seems unlikely this time, but you never know.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, danthetan said:

NOAA_1_1982010512_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010612_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010712_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010812_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010912_2.png

Did the 1982 event originate in the East as this one is do you know?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Pembs458 said:

1982 was historic for Pembrokeshire, from what I’ve been told.  I wasn’t born either.  But whenever snow is forecast my dad always tells me the story of how he could almost touch the top of the telegraph poles because the snow had drifted so high!  Would love to witness that, seems unlikely this time, but you never know.

Ive been told similar stories to. What I was getting at by showing those charts is the cold air never really got further than cardiff -10 @850hpa and more like -5 camarthen west and that front still didn't make through. With the cold air forecast to be over the whole country for 2/3 days there is a real chance of seeing something like this again. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
50 minutes ago, Gerryhattrick said:

Forecast for next week for Newport. 

Hope it's right but think it's a bit OTT

Screenshot_20210204-200055_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210204-200040_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210204-200019_Chrome.jpg

Most of the accumulations are minimal bar Thursday.....metcheck graphics can be a bit misleading ....

Posted
3 minutes ago, MR_E said:

Did the 1982 event originate in the East as this one is do you know?

Pretty much the same battle as now the cold air was lurking to the NE and mild air to the south.  That low that went through was the trigger to pull down the cold air and allow a wedge of high pressure to form which with cold air stalled the low coming in off the Atlantic and dropped the hammer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, blackrose73 said:

Not sure there was any need for that? I was just reminding people that details are bound to change. The first bit about the mood was a little tongue in cheek as a result of recent discussions.

Need for what? Apologies if my demeanour came across in a bad way, I’ve got no issues with anyone in this chat and readily enjoy everyone’s comments including yourself, I guess my tone can sometimes come across resolute in nature. Anyhow, 

I believe I have come across a very good app called ‘Windy’ can anyone recommend? Seems to be a top notch weather tool. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer
5 minutes ago, danthetan said:

Pretty much the same battle as now the cold air was lurking to the NE and mild air to the south.  That low that went through was the trigger to pull down the cold air and allow a wedge of high pressure to form which with cold air stalled the low coming in off the Atlantic and dropped the hammer.

Yes I remember my folks speaking of the event it was forecast to be rain in the south but it was so wrong snowed for around 18 hours constant yet across the Bristol Channel they had rain. The archive chart above shows the 0oC 850 isotherm was just touching Wales’s south coast. Uppers aren’t everything in event like this if the winds ahead of the advancing front are from an east or south easterly direction off the continent more often than not there will be snow and allot of it. This one coming next week has all the hall marks of the 1982 event just look at the GEM shows hours of snow almost all over wales. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.
24 minutes ago, danthetan said:

NOAA_1_1982010512_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010612_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010712_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010812_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010912_2.png

I'm old enough to remember it, I was 7. Cardiff had some massive snow drifts. I had stayed at my older sister's the night before and ended up snowed in up there all week. My other sister got married on the 16th January that year and the neighbours had to dig a path up the street for her to get into a car on the main road. I've never seen anything like it since, it stuck around for weeks too. 

It really was snowmaggedon! 

• Like 2

Posted
On 05/01/2021 at 11:32, Loadsa2000 said:

couple more pics of 82 in south Wales for Jay and for us old persons to remember when we had proper winters. Also when we queued for food pubs were closed and we couldn't go anywhere. Bit like today without the white stuff  

image.png.17adb73bf0c8872d946eb2456c4e9623.pngimage.png.0fed4d1b58e1f3b4b2f5eed4c8684e25.pngimage.png.435877d433ba5d1ce0e3e23cf555e360.pngimage.png.dfc0ccbbb3c804211989310b1ee2b787.pngimage.thumb.png.8d8a8fdeae1d0a8cafa24e3b09067bcd.pngimage.thumb.png.cbe57a4494f9df08fd9105735ad9482b.png

another 82 

i remember it up here in 82. Caerphilly cut off for a week. Fighting at the train station to get on the train that was running late. took me 6 hours to walk from the miners to the cafe on top of the mountain to feed our horses.

Had to dig the in laws out as one you couldn't see the car in the drive and both their back door and front door of the bungalow faced the same direction. Snow was banked up a couple of feet above the doors. I had a fence around the front garden and i was walking above it

Edited by Loadsa2000
  • Like 6

Posted
33 minutes ago, danthetan said:

NOAA_1_1982010512_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010612_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010712_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010812_2.png

NOAA_1_1982010912_2.png

I remember it, just. I was 3 at the time. My mother had to walk a mile home from the childminder carrying me and holding my 5 year old brothers hand. It was mid afternoon and she describes not being able to tell roads from pathways. It continued all day and night. By the morning there were huge drifts. We have plenty of photos, one showing only the bumper of our Vauxhall Chevette, the rest of it under a huge drift up to the garage roof. All the men folk in the street for together with sledges and walked to Ty-Coch dairy and returned with milk for the street. Amazing!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Yep it's always a case of get the cold in but then it's making sure everything falls in place!

Yes jay...very difficult for us Welsh! I’m hoping we get a bonus of some snow pushing in from the east over late weekend early next week 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Cwmbran Eira said:

I remember it, just. I was 3 at the time. My mother had to walk a mile home from the childminder carrying me and holding my 5 year old brothers hand. It was mid afternoon and she describes not being able to tell roads from pathways. It continued all day and night. By the morning there were huge drifts. We have plenty of photos, one showing only the bumper of our Vauxhall Chevette, the rest of it under a huge drift up to the garage roof. All the men folk in the street for together with sledges and walked to Ty-Coch dairy and returned with milk for the street. Amazing!

Showing my age 

I was 22 awaiting the birth of my first had a  sledge ready to drag the wife to the miners. It was ok as he was born on the 26th

Local shop run out of cigarettes and the local ran out of beer nothing got in or out for a week apart from trains and they were bringing in bread etc.

Remember near riots as some local shops were charging £1 for a loaf of bread and a pint of milk

Edited by Loadsa2000
  • Like 5

Posted

I remember 82 too...I was 6! Can remember the snow piling up outside the patio window...kept going up and up and up! Unbelievable the size of the drifts. Would love a repeat just to show younger generations real snow depths!

• Like 5

Posted

A word of caution, snow charts far out re my point yesterday don't get hung up on them but as I also indicated LPs will get pushed further south as the cold air becomes entrenched leaving us mostly dry. 

Don't expect much snow in Wales (by much I mean 10cm+) for at least the next 5/7 days after that your guess is as good as mine. I'm just looking forward to blue skies and crisp dry weather with the odd fluttering flurry anything more is a bonus. 

Don't get sucked into the London centric media hype over this cold spell or disappointment will soon kick in. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, WINTRY WALES said:

I remember 82 too...I was 6! Can remember the snow piling up outside the patio window...kept going up and up and up! Unbelievable the size of the drifts. Would love a repeat just to show younger generations real snow depths!

Will people stop mentioning how old they were please

• Like 1

Posted

I was about 17 in 82 - got stuck in Dyffryn gardens of all places on an orchestral course leading to a concert in Llandaff cathedral, which never happened cause of the snow, and it took days/week to dig us all out - luckily they had enough food to feed us all - wouldn't wish that amount of snow on anyone - life becomes impossible - an average dumping will be fine lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in Winter / Thunderstorms + Heat in Summer
11 minutes ago, Loadsa2000 said:

Will people stop mentioning how old they were please

Sadly I wasn't born until 10 years afterwards in 1992

• Thanks 1