Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
36 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Any more chances of snow this week? Looks mild on the forecast.

Look above Jay

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Should be seasonal!

-9.3 recorded on the garden weather station last night, coldest night for several winters. Couple of inches of lying snow certainly helped! 

IMG_20210125_080034.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

-8.7 here absolutely wonderful

What's the chances the front tomorrow doesn't make inroads and produces snow for Wales?  Cold air is pretty entrenched?? 

Today has gone from being 5/6 degrees to 1/2 degrees widely. Tomorrow from being 7/8 to being 3/4. 

The mild spell is at best close to seasonal norm mid week. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

I'm personally looking at the weekend as a more favourable chance of significant snow..I may be wrong as I have only briefly skimmed the models this morning so please feel free to correct me if I have interrupted these wrong!!!

Posted
10 minutes ago, dbaloo said:

I'm personally looking at the weekend as a more favourable chance of significant snow..I may be wrong as I have only briefly skimmed the models this morning so please feel free to correct me if I have interrupted these wrong!!!

no you could be right - bbc countryfile forecast for next weekend flagged up a possible "wintry event" - so we'll see - based around ecm model i think

• Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, andymusic said:

no you could be right - bbc countryfile forecast for next weekend flagged up a possible "wintry event" - so we'll see - based around ecm model i think

Mentioned it yesterday channel LP attack SWales on the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just been down Bridgend/Tondu helping my parents with some moving and still quite a bit of snow about, streets are still snow/icy on the roads and difficult to drive on. They must of had about 3inch down there Sunday.

Posted
1 hour ago, Loadsa2000 said:

makes you laugh weather warning for ice in my area but not on the forecast off the met

Caerphilly mountain was fine to drive over this morning, decent amount of snow left.

I'm surprised that there's quite a bit left at home too considering the sun has been out all day.

• Like 1

Posted

We'll find out how bad the Euro4 model is.  For a good few runs yesterday and the 0z it was saying snow then it dropped it this morning but its back in the 12z. I dont think it has a chance and its on a island with itself with this. I think its been very poor this winter.

euro1.JPG

eruro2.JPG

euro3.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave
23 minutes ago, snowy36 said:

We'll find out how bad the Euro4 model is.  For a good few runs yesterday and the 0z it was saying snow then it dropped it this morning but its back in the 12z. I dont think it has a chance and its on a island with itself with this. I think its been very poor this winter.

euro1.JPG

eruro2.JPG

euro3.JPG

Agree Snowy, its been poor for a while. However I've noticed in the last few days that the rainfall/snowfall parameter on WeatherOnline shows different to what other websites showing Euro4 have.

For example - Look at this from Weather.Us, same run, same time as above. (The chart is for 3h total snowfall). It shows some light snow in inland higher areas which will be from when the precipitation first comes in tomorrow but nothing extensive like the WeatherOnline chart.

273122375_Screenshot2021-01-25at18_25_45.thumb.png.cecd8c76c089790528877722309b5077.png

Therefore I think disregard the WeatherOnline one at the moment and use https://weather.us/model-charts/gbr-hd/wales/significant-weather/20210126-0300z.html

Either way - tomorrow I think expect some light snow or sleet for areas inland further east as the precipitation first comes into the colder air (7am ish). This turning to rain as the milder upper air then filters in. BBC has sleet for Cardiff at 7-9am and 1/2c  before milder and all rain later.

Edited by bradymk
  • Like 3

Posted

Thursday is when the colder weather starts to influence the weather. The front has stalled .then starts moving south.with rain turning back to sleet/snow 

Screenshot_20210125-191819_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, keithlucky said:

Thursday is when the colder weather starts to influence the weather. The front has stalled .then starts moving south.with rain turning back to sleet/snow 

Screenshot_20210125-191819_Chrome.jpg

Does that show the front stalling over north Wales ...Manchester area? Everywhere below that would be rain tho would it?? Could it push back south west into Wales?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in Winter / Thunderstorms + Heat in Summer

ECMWF showing this for the weekend, it's being showing it on and off for the last few days!

594433269_Screenshot2021-01-25at19_57_46.thumb.png.0d8ca44481bc94becee430290a4aef69.png

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, mattrout92 said:

ECMWF showing this for the weekend, it's being showing it on and off for the last few days!

594433269_Screenshot2021-01-25at19_57_46.thumb.png.0d8ca44481bc94becee430290a4aef69.png

All nighter if that happens . I think some of us may see an hour or so of snow tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in Winter / Thunderstorms + Heat in Summer
25 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

All nighter if that happens . I think some of us may see an hour or so of snow tomorrow morning.

UKV says not unless you live on ground > 500m unfortunately

image.thumb.png.579d2d2de076fbd7d87b0ddaa8e3f04a.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Some light showers about this evening. One just brushed west of Cardiff through Dinas Powys. -0.5c here.

• Like 1

Posted

Ice day here....best snow we have had since 2010, where I live anyway... here's a time-lapse taken from Pontardawe Golf Club yesterday..... 

• Like 7