Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms
Just now, Jayfromcardiff said:

I live in Caerphilly now so should fair better than Cardiff fingers crossed.

You’ll be golden there imo 

• Like 1

Posted

Who's going to risk it all and stay up into the night? Nothing worse than the burn of staying up for something that never comes. I personally go out for a dog walk as soon as it snows, no matter what time, because you never know when you'll see it again. I'll decide later on

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, andy989 said:

Who's going to risk it all and stay up into the night? Nothing worse than the burn of staying up for something that never comes. I personally go out for a dog walk as soon as it snows, no matter what time, because you never know when you'll see it again. I'll decide later on

Depends how far off the snow is when I'm tired, if it's close I'll get a coffee and stay up. Numerous times I've stayed up and it's been a let down.

• Like 1

Posted

Quite simply put, most models show a vast swathe of Wales having accumulating snow overnight into tomorrow morning. When was the last time that we could honestly say that? I am still not convinced that the front will move as quickly as it currently is, it will certainly slow down, and hopefully pep up over the Irish sea as well. 

I am confident most of us will wake up to a few centimetres tomorrow, no it's not deep and crisp and even, but it's neither a dusting, it's a covering over the majority of Wales' landmass, which is great. 

North East Wales has done great today with showers, could do well tomorrow as well. THe only place to me that seems sure of missing a good covering is Ynys Môn, but showers could change that as well. 

Let's enjoy the ride, expect surprises tomorrow. 

I am surprised how we have managed to retain our dusting today in most places. I.e we had at best 0.5cm last night, and it hasn't thawed in a lot of areas, temperatures much colder than forecast as well, and before the front arrives this evening, some places are looking at -4/-5. 

It's going to 'BWRW EIRA' folks mark my words

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain

looking at the afternoon temperatures in Ireland they were anywhere between 3 and 5c on the west coast and colder further east. At my location in SW wales its already - 1.5 and dp of -3 I can't help think this front will get shredded by the cold air. I think the best chance of seeing prolonged stuff is as the front pivots. IMBY perspective as the winds turn northerly feeding moisture into the front thats likely to beef up the precipitation thing is then will it be cold enough?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow.

Slowing sleet/rain for us in Port Talbot. I'd like to get excited but have to be realistic on the coast. Even a little bit would be nice! 

• Like 2

Posted

Join in the snow chant folks, It's going to 'BWRW EIRA' no doubt

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

I live in Caerphilly now so should fair better than Cardiff fingers crossed.

That reminds of what my Nain and Taid used to say to me, when I was wee: before you act, think Caerphilly!

I'll get my coat!:drunk-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted

What are the air temps and DP’s around the south and south east parts of Wales? 

Cheers 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow
5 minutes ago, JamesL said:

Cheers 

Cardiff Airport is 2c and -2 dewpoint

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Cheers 

Dewpoints looking good

410EAC40-FA53-4DD2-A048-0D3E5B879B36.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

It's currently -0.3c with a dp of -2.1c here in my garden in Barry, looking good for now if it can stay like that!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and hot sun

Cheers 

Strumble Head DP currently Minus 2.2 temp 1.9 windspeed 1mph. My car is frozen. That doesn't happen here that often. ❄️

• Like 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, andy989 said:

Latest met office fax chart, that's what I've seen anyway. Other members in the model thread are posting various "further north" posts. Hope so from an IMBY perspective, its pretty much radar time to get a better idea of the track 

Andy seems correct front stalls east Wales pushes north and then slides south weakening as it does.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.
20 minutes ago, andy989 said:

I'm considering it. I'll keep an eye on the radar and see where it is later. Even if I do sleep it will be short naps and lots of window checking. 

It's looking good for Wales tonight. Even MetOffice have Cardiff down with a 90% chance at 6am. I am hopeful to at least see a flake falling even if it doesn't settle.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow
10 minutes ago, Cymro said:

Quite simply put, most models show a vast swathe of Wales having accumulating snow overnight into tomorrow morning. When was the last time that we could honestly say that? I am still not convinced that the front will move as quickly as it currently is, it will certainly slow down, and hopefully pep up over the Irish sea as well. 

I am confident most of us will wake up to a few centimetres tomorrow, no it's not deep and crisp and even, but it's neither a dusting, it's a covering over the majority of Wales' landmass, which is great. 

North East Wales has done great today with showers, could do well tomorrow as well. THe only place to me that seems sure of missing a good covering is Ynys Môn, but showers could change that as well. 

Let's enjoy the ride, expect surprises tomorrow. 

I am surprised how we have managed to retain our dusting today in most places. I.e we had at best 0.5cm last night, and it hasn't thawed in a lot of areas, temperatures much colder than forecast as well, and before the front arrives this evening, some places are looking at -4/-5. 

It's going to 'BWRW EIRA' folks mark my words

Completely agree, it seems like its been ages and for some like myself the last time i seen falling/accumilating snow greater than a dusting was 2013 and that wasnt even forecast! Even the early 2000's produced more here  (2005 & 07 come to mind) . If theres a covering of snow here even slightly ill be impressed! But time will tell. 

I think areas like Bridgend, Cardiff & Newport should be safe to see some accumilating snow how much and how long it lasts is open to question. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

Well after returning to Swansea after living in London and Eastern England for the past 35 off years i forgot just how dire the chances of any cold/snow weather actually is in Swansea.  It makes the other places i've lived in seem like the arctic.  That's one of the things i hate about living in the south west and on the coast in the winter.  It's just pants and no variety of weather.....just tons of rain.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in Winter / Thunderstorms + Heat in Summer

UKV ppn and snow depths for the 15z run now available:

ppttype.thumb.gif.6f0248758f16930f9098440dd47766af.gif SnowDepthGif.thumb.gif.ba68b51d168e6d0d08a581f62188abd6.gif

• Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, SnowStorm(Jamie) said:

Just an update from Derek:

No snow at zero lol.mostly snow over southern ireland.Front will reach west Wales at 10pm at this rate.then turn the bloody turbo off get in 1st gear.lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain
17 minutes ago, Penfoel said:

Strumble Head DP currently Minus 2.2 temp 1.9 windspeed 1mph. My car is frozen. That doesn't happen here that often. ❄️

What elevation are you? I know stumble head is fairly high. its staggering the temp difference its -2 here now in Haverfordwest @ 50M

Posted

Thank you to everyone for the temps and dew points 

Looks like it’s all pretty favourable 

What is the Dam right now 525? Or less?

Posted

Remember that Derek is a mild ramper

Always errs on the side of caution 

Edited by JamesL
  • Like 1