Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow
1 hour ago, WINTRY WALES said:

Can anyone remind me of the weather in 2018....I mean for us welsh folk? Can’t recall if we had lots of snow or which parts were hit most??

Ogmore by sea and near fontygary both right on the coast

20201231_191647.jpg

20201231_191631.jpg

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold snowy winters, thunderstorms

Happy new year cymru netweather members

Posted

Happy New Year to all the contributors of this forum, and the multiple lurkers like myself.

Here's to a much better 2021 and with it, lets hope for new multiple stay at home orders,but those that are to do with being snowed in rather than anything else.  We can all dream and hope of ???❄❄❄☃️⛄

Have a good one everybody.

Enjoy, and be safe.

• Like 1

Posted

Happy new year to all .Enjoy today weather.Wintry showers moving south today enjoy.Borrowed from model output may your new year be white.Tuesday possible snow.

Screenshot_20210101-085314_Chrome.jpg

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1

Posted

Is there any snow on the horizon for us? Afraid to go in the discussion thread! 

Lovely frosty morning though!   

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, whiskers said:

You may see some light snow this morning, there's some precipitation moving across Wales as we speak.

• Like 1

Posted

Coldest night of the winter at -3.4c but risen to 1.4c milder sector from the North light drizzle,I measured max of 3 inches of snow higher up yesterday,and it was a glorious cold sunny day at 1.4c max.

• Thanks 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, whiskers said:

Wintry showers moving into N Wales later on moving south so anywhere in west Wales can catch a shower.Down to radar watching .

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow
50 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

You may see some light snow this morning, there's some precipitation moving across Wales as we speak.

Its rain its wrapped up in a milder air unless ur 400m+

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Happy New Year everyone!

Had a bit of light rain here earlier this morning despite temperatures being around zero

Posted
17 hours ago, WINTRY WALES said:

Can anyone remind me of the weather in 2018....I mean for us welsh folk? Can’t recall if we had lots of snow or which parts were hit most??

Took this video, there may be more videos if I can find my memory cards,. I think I recorded other clips on my phone,. and probably a good few photos too. (life wouldn't be complete without trying to make a snowman with the snow from your shoe)image.thumb.png.316f9656c512eecd58319aa4cd755dd8.png
image.thumb.png.c5d6a04e5bd91adea5f7e0783a9315ea.png

Edited by ancientsolar
  • Like 1

Posted

With all the current interest I thought I’d reactivate my old account and start posting this year

Seems we’re in slightly milder air today, hence why the frost has lifted so quickly.

colder upper temps coming back down from the North by tomorrow morning, and with it the risk of the dangler turning wintry again. 

5414FBB8-80C1-4B78-9DB9-6804A296F72A.jpeg

43478322-05F2-43E9-8059-BD5C9869F834.jpeg

2DBA0A5F-C765-4916-8E76-83192D9F2092.png

44D73EB8-8B54-45D9-B3FD-2D1276098614.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold snowy winters, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, ancientsolar said:

Took this video, there may be more videos if I can find my memory cards,. I think I recorded other clips on my phone,. and probably a good few photos too. (life wouldn't be complete without trying to make a snowman with the snow from your shoe)image.thumb.png.316f9656c512eecd58319aa4cd755dd8.png
image.thumb.png.c5d6a04e5bd91adea5f7e0783a9315ea.png

Ah the beast from the east and storm Emma - 01/03/2018. That was the best snow storm I had seen in my 39 years here on earth which I will remember.  I was too young to remember the great snow storm of 1981. It was similar apparently with drifts over the hedges like 2018 but more. It lasted alot longer too. My brother has photos of that great storm somewhere. In 2018 we had 58cms of level snow in the end and upto 2 metre drifts. Perhaps even higher in places near Cowbridge in the Vale. I even have a snap of the red weather warning that was issued by the met office . Looks great when you look back at it for snow fans. One day I hope to see this happen again but last longer rather than a thaw to follow a few hours or days later. Fingers crossed . 

Screenshot_20180301-110352.png

20180302_144642.jpg

20180302_150329.jpg

20180302_180121.jpg

20180228_214647.jpg

20180302_143908.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Will never forget 01/03/18 Storm Emma/Beast from the East. I was working for a home emergency company at the time taking phone calls from people having issues with boilers etc. Everyone's boilers started failing that day and every man and their dog starting phoning up.  As I lived within a half hour walk of the office I offered to do a few hours overtime, and they offered in return to pay for a taxi for me to get home. The taxi got stuck in the snow and I spent ages helping to free it. The pavements were far too dangerously icy and I had to walk back home in the middle of the roads across Cardiff for about two hours in blizzard like conditions. Was quite surreal, it was the dry powdery type of snow but the drifts were incredible.

• Like 3

Posted

over to the easterly now - and harmonie has this for tomorrow night for east wales

image.thumb.png.84b65e27150bf23c020d34c6eaeab3cf.png

image.thumb.png.b522491334b98dd878eb7e1bc817bf1d.png

it's also got us down for this too earlier tomorrow when meto have a mostly clear day for us - curious

this is their text for tomorrow though - so harmonie maybe onto something

Saturday:

Wintry showers across the western parts of the country at first. Dry with some sunny breaks elsewhere. New band of showers arriving from the east through the evening. Remaining cold. Maximum temperature 6 °C.

image.thumb.png.d5469eff3335c7692d4a7ac4902185fe.png

image.thumb.png.2d26a05bab9aceadedeb1875a427631d.png

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 5

Posted
10 minutes ago, andymusic said:

over to the easterly now - and harmonie has this for tomorrow night for east wales

image.thumb.png.84b65e27150bf23c020d34c6eaeab3cf.png

image.thumb.png.b522491334b98dd878eb7e1bc817bf1d.png

it's also got us down for this too earlier tomorrow when meto have a clear day for us - curious

image.thumb.png.d5469eff3335c7692d4a7ac4902185fe.png

image.thumb.png.2d26a05bab9aceadedeb1875a427631d.png

The precipitation is very light so I can't see it leaving a dusting even if it does snow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

The precipitation is very light so I can't see it leaving a dusting even if it does snow.

As we haven't had any just yet - if it just falls - that'll be a start lol - I'm sure with this easterly this coming week - we in the east of wales will stand a better chance of seeing some snow at least eh!

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, A Frayed Knot said:

Interesting, anyone's view. 

ZNF3Q6cPqw.gif

Ecm model trying to calculate how much snow will fall up to monday 11th Jan - tends to over estimate accumulations though - but a nice chart all the same - snow will reach wales this coming week from the easterly - how much will depend on fronts in the flow coming off the north sea snow making machine - we shall have to see

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, A Frayed Knot said:

Interesting, anyone's view. 

ZNF3Q6cPqw.gif

It's a bit early for that but quite possible,that's why earlier I put that chart for next Tuesday unless the fax.charts shows a trough forming over France before Tuesday. Tuesday is the first organised band of snow coming across Wales . Quick changing charts atm as soon as a small front starts  forming(a link in the isobars)I'll get back.

• Like 1