Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Icy here too, first time I've seen ice on the pavements thismorning. However temp already at 3c with a dp of 1.4c so definitely rain if that front makes it here lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and very cold.

Lovely morning here in Cardiff..3.8c and rising...would quite happily take this for the next few weeks after all the rain we've had!

• Like 2

Posted

Not to cause any unnecessary excitement (can we handle any more of that?) but there's a clump of precipitation currently developing over Pembrokeshire that seems likely to spread east across South Wales through today provided it doesn't decay. The bad news? It'll fall as sleet at best for most of us.

Still, it's one of those calm, cold, grey winter days that I really like for some reason, where you can smell woodsmoke on the air and the only sign of life is the occasional robin. Perfect for a walk in the fields outside town.

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Jackfrost said:

Not to cause any unnecessary excitement (can we handle any more of that?) but there's a clump of precipitation currently developing over Pembrokeshire that seems likely to spread east across South Wales through today provided it doesn't decay. The bad news? It's likely to fall as sleet at best for most of us.

Still, it's one of those calm, cold, grey winter days that I really like for some reason. Perfect for a walk in the fields outside town.

The Front that comes from The N East on New year eve ,has got colder air wrapped around it as more snow than sleet.After that a continental flow develops,with showers driving east to west across south uk.Loads to look out for to keep us entertained during the next 10 days.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, keithlucky said:

The Front that comes from The N East on New year eve ,has got colder air wrapped around it as more snow than sleet.After that a continental flow develops,with showers driving east to west across south uk.Loads to look out for to keep us entertained during the next 10 days.

I agree that there's plenty to look out for and after some of the awful winters of the last decade just a long-ish spell of below average temperatures is a relief, even without bringing snow into the mix.

Re. tomorrow night's feature, unfortunately at this stage I don't think much is likely to come of it outside of inland North Wales. 

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 2

Posted

I would rather high pressure came in now to be honest for a few days to really cool us down and allow sharp harsh frosts, get those sea surface temperatures down as well. I'm sure they will have dropped a degree or two following this 'Coldish' spell but if we can shave another degree or two off, we would be looking at better chances. 

Easterly doesn't excite me one bit and if you live anywhere to the west of Snowdonia, Cambrian Mountains or the Brecon Beacons don't get your hopes up unless we have a breakdown situation where LP comes up against the cold air. (excluding the Gower and Pembrokeshire as easterlies can do ok here with sea around you rather then mountains, but breakdowns not so much). 

I think I am going to come back and see how things look Sunday/Monday as this weather is rather frustrating. 

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, georgiedre said:

Some wet snow this lunchtime falling at near sea level in nw wales.. Good signs for tonight. Could be surprising snowy.. I would imagine @Liam Ellis up in deiniolen is having some big flakes

Met office forecast agrees with your view outbreaks of snow reaches North Wales by dawn Good Luck!

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Ouch! Tiptoe carefully into MOD thread as the -850 uppers debate or should that be bunfight, continues.

The snow of the last two days gone from lower valley but still up on tops, but not deep.  However a goodly freeze overnight made dog walking a bit of an obstacle course.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winter, Hot Summer
2 hours ago, georgiedre said:

Some wet snow this lunchtime falling at near sea level in nw wales.. Good signs for tonight. Could be surprising snowy.. I would imagine @Liam Ellis up in deiniolen is having some big flakes

Llandudno looking towards Liverpool about half an hour ago

IMG_20201230_144134.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
2 hours ago, andy989 said:

It's coming down now.

That looks brilliant. We all should’ve gone for “Christmas like” as the tree frames that picture beautifully. Good luck everyone in with a chance over the next few days. Let’s see if January brings the snow for all that they’re arguing about in the Model Output thread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

So, first bite of the cherry didn't give us much joy, but if I could sum up (from an extremely layman POV) where our winter stands at the moment with a GIF, it would be this:

giphy.gif 

We're at the party - high pressure in a good place, low pressure in a good place. But there's a couple of drinks spoiling it - the SST's that prevented us getting much joy this week, and coming up - a lack of real cold out east (or south east in the med).

Luckily, there's a drink we've got ready to use to perk things up - the SSW... So long as we use it wisely (it doesn't push any high pressure too far west or spark up the Atlantic) - it'll be one hell of a party. Primed and ready to go. 

Let's hope 2021 is one to remember - for so many reasons! 

Edited by RhysWales
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow
8 minutes ago, Loadsa2000 said:

so will this be rain or snow its on rain today radar forecast for tonight

500275327_Screenshot2020-12-30214524.thumb.png.1878b19dba6ec90200c0fd7e4aaa51f1.png

Expect mainly sleet and rain however there is a chance for some snow but unlikely apart from on high ground. Btw what radar is that please?

Posted
1 minute ago, Snowguy said:

Expect mainly sleet and rain however there is a chance for some snow but unlikely apart from on high ground. Btw what radar is that please?

its rain today radar 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe disruptive snow or any other severe weather!

Google has told me too expect snow at 10pm. They wouldn't tease me like that surely?...typo maybe lol 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe disruptive snow or any other severe weather!
Just now, Snowguy said:

People in and around the Swansea area may see some snow tonight but not certain at all.

7AE394FA-0B24-41AD-9C40-D4E2C34E188C.png

I have seen similar, I will be happy to see a flake at the moment. Believe it when I see it though. I was up the heads of the valleys earlier today and to be fair the snowline seems around 300m plus at the moment. We need the colder air to get entrenched but when it does the precipitation always seems to vanish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

It might just reach the Vale but I’m not expecting anything in Cardiff although there’s always a slight chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

So, dry day, no snow showers, possibly excepting very light snizzle  this evening.  Temps mostly about 3 today now 0, go to car about 10pm. Lock frozen solid.  So more freeze at lower temps say 0 -1 than deeper lower  temps?

• Like 1