Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow sun thunderstorms frost

Happy Christmas to everyone just Hope that we can have a better year in 2021. The boxing day storm is looking very nasty stay safe every one 

Edited by Weather roller-coaster
  • Like 1

Posted

Nadolog Llawen bawb  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow
18 minutes ago, A Frayed Knot said:

New topic and new thread thanks @Osborne One-Nil so who's looking forward to the upcoming cold spell with around 60% of falling snow. 

Not me tbh, I think I'll b on the wrong side of marginal so cold rain here but a few surprises might creep up later on.  The valleys up could b in a sweet spot tho so good luck all

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, freeze for all said:

Not me tbh, I think I'll b on the wrong side of marginal so cold rain here but a few surprises might creep up later on.  The valleys up could b in a sweet spot tho so good luck all

Just had a look at the BBC forecast and it looks like snow from around 3am-7am around mid and South Wales Monday morning! Even Derek has said on his Twitter about snow.

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Just had a look at the BBC forecast and it looks like snow from around 3am-7am around mid and South Wales Monday morning! Even Derek has said on his Twitter about snow.

Probably sleet here then and snow ❄ the higher up u go

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, freeze for all said:

Probably sleet here then and snow ❄ the higher up u go

Fingers crossed we all get some snow, just checked the netweather forecast for my location and it's going for just under 4 inches of snow early hours of Monday morning.

• Like 4

Posted

Sunday night as colder air dig south showers turns to snow Screenshot_20201226-075636_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8b07ce28521cbccdb0709c422db45a11.jpg

9 hours ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Fingers crossed we all get some snow, just checked the netweather forecast for my location and it's going for just under 4 inches of snow early hours of Monday morning.

West is best in these situations, Early monday morning winds switch to more Northerly heavy sleet snow showers moves in streamers could form anywhere across Wales to bring longer spells of snow .Winter begins!

Screenshot_20201226-071045_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201226-071105_Chrome.jpg

Edited by keithlucky
Error
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, keithlucky said:

Screenshot_20201226-071105_Chrome.thumb.jpg.081004e5be04d417c116466bad295332.jpg

West is best in these situations, Early monday morning winds switch to more Northerly heavy sleet snow showers moves in streamers could form anywhere across Wales to bring longer spells of snow .Winter begins!

Screenshot_20201226-071045_Chrome.jpg

Everyone's posting charts in the mod thread that show snow mainly in the SE though.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Everyone's posting charts in the mod thread that show snow mainly in the SE though.

Jay they're biased they live there! Look at wind direction.

Screenshot_20201226-074526_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Yes, there's a strong regional bias towards Southeast England in the MOD, which makes sense as it's Britain's most populous region. There's also an element of regional competitiveness, kind of a desire to hog all the snow (and can anyone here honestly say they haven't felt a bit smug when we in Wales have been half-buried and other places have struggled to see a single flake? Hah)

Regarding Monday, while we're far from guaranteed snow in Wales, I also haven't seen anything this morning to suggest this will be a Southeast England-only event. The track of the low is still not pinned down and it'll be hard to make any accurate forecast probably until tomorrow morning, but at this stage some falling snow in the dead of night is possible at the very least.

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 3

Posted

Completely agree with comments above, seen this kind of set up many times before. I predict 1-3cm from the secondary low quite widely and then hefty heavy showers bringing further top ups, Western hilly areas most favoured. Some sweet spots good get 10cm + ( Cambrian Mountains, Snowdonia and Western part of the beacons, say Sennybridge West.) 

Edited by Cymro
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Cymro said:

Completely agree with comments above, seen this kind of set up many times before. I predict 1-3cm from the secondary low quire widely and then hefty heavy showers bringing further top ups, Western hilly areas most favoured. Some sweet spots good get 10cm + ( Cambrian Mountains, Snowdonia and Western part of the beacons, say Sennybridge West.) 

I got stung making a snow prediction during that half-hearted cold spell at the start of the month so I'll hold off making one now, but if I had to then yours doesn't sound far off the mark! I agree that any showers following the secondary low would favour more northern and western locations in Wales; Southeast Wales tends to benefit most from somewhat different synoptics.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Cymro said:

Completely agree with comments above, seen this kind of set up many times before. I predict 1-3cm from the secondary low quire widely and then hefty heavy showers bringing further top ups, Western hilly areas most favoured. Some sweet spots good get 10cm + ( Cambrian Mountains, Snowdonia and Western part of the beacons, say Sennybridge 

The wind easing into Sunday /Monday  showers forming in a unstable air flow streamers will form I expect you could double your estermations.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, keithlucky said:

The wind easing into Sunday /Monday  showers forming in a unstable air flow streamers will form I expect you could double your estermations.

Another point of interest is the LPmoving up the channel Monday night Producing out breaks snow on the North side of the front south of the front sleet.The track of this front is uncertain atm.Great fun radar watching ahead!

• Like 2

Posted

No warnings of snow from meto yet so they r either waiting till last thing or they don't c any accumulation of snow

Posted

Warnings ⚠️  are out and North Wales are in the game ❄ but mid and south still ain't at the mo

Posted
2 minutes ago, freeze for all said:

Warnings ⚠️  are out and North Wales are in the game ❄ but mid and south still ain't at the mo

North Wales first then filters south makes sense

Posted
15 minutes ago, keithlucky said:

North Wales first then filters south makes sense

Must hit warmer sectors as it filters south causing rain ? not snow?