Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Bella - Atlantic storm 2

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I've noticed that each hour that goes by, the Met Office forecast wind speed drops.

When I looked at around 5pm, wind gusts were forecast to be in the high 40's between 8pm and 9pm. As we're now in that timeframe, it has changed to the high 30's. That seems to have been the theme this entire year!

Posted
9 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I've noticed that each hour that goes by, the Met Office forecast wind speed drops.

When I looked at around 5pm, wind gusts were forecast to be in the high 40's between 8pm and 9pm. As we're now in that timeframe, it has changed to the high 30's. That seems to have been the theme this entire year!

We're still low 50s after midnight, even this far inland.  Surprised it's not higher on the coast!

Posted

Porthcawl's website is showing a current windspeed of 43mph. EDIT : make that 47mph now

RNLI@1x.png
WWW.PORTHCAWL-LIFEBOAT.CO.UK

Adjusted for British Summer Time when applicable Know the risks: The temperature of our waters can steal the air from your lungs and leave you helpless in seconds.

Edited by Ryukai

Posted

The radar is really interesting - You can clearly see the main area of rain but then bands of wintry precipitation coming into Scotland now. Winds have been wild here in NW England - more than I thought they would be given that it's only a yellow warning here. 

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

We're still low 50s after midnight, even this far inland.  Surprised it's not higher on the coast!

45 minutes ago, forecast says 47mph between 9pm and 10pm. It's now updated and dropped to 41mph. To be fair, it isn't that bad, but as I said before, it seems to drop by quite a margin as each hour passes by.

It was showing 68mph just a few days ago. That's dropped to 63mph, around 3am. I'll wager a bet that I don't get above 50?! :santa-emoji:

Highest gust so far is 37mph.

Posted
45 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Close to 40 mph gusts here and it sounds wonderful, would prefer to see and hear the 90s  though that is unlikely .

Seriously? Anything above 60 has me getting nervy. Witnessed 70mph + twice and both quite scary. Flying advertising hoardings and garden furniture! Hate that roaring noise!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Frosty hollows said:

Seriously? Anything above 60 has me getting nervy. Witnessed 70mph + twice and both quite scary. Flying advertising hoardings and garden furniture! Hate that roaring noise!

You should've been living in The Highlands during early 1989... we were all stood at the windows watching fully mature trees fall down like matchsticks... Now that really was scary!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windy, rumbly, flashy or snowy.

Wind here is gusting quite strongly as I can hear it over the TV.

Any indication of sting jet potential in this storm? 

Posted
27 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

45 minutes ago, forecast says 47mph between 9pm and 10pm. It's now updated and dropped to 41mph. To be fair, it isn't that bad, but as I said before, it seems to drop by quite a margin as each hour passes by.

It was showing 68mph just a few days ago. That's dropped to 63mph, around 3am. I'll wager a bet that I don't get above 50?! :santa-emoji:

Highest gust so far is 37mph.

I will have a bet that you get well over 50 mph... still on it'd way and its packing a punch!!!..£1?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Brassmonkeylily said:

I will have a bet that you get well over 50 mph... still on it'd way and its packing a punch!!!..£1?

I've just been out for a smoke and there was a succession of big gusts and now I see I've registered 47mph. You may well win that £1 :ball-santa-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Bigger gusts arriving now in Bexhill, Can hear it around the house. Probably around 50mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

57mph gust recorded at Porthcawl with a 10min avg of 42mph

Edited by phil b

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Getting pretty wild here in Pembrokeshire with loud roaring around the corners of the house.  The peak here is due either side of midnight and we will probably see gusts in excess of 70mph even here where we are afforded a little protection from the south west.  On the coast I expect there will be gusts over 80mph recorded in the usual most exposed places - eg Pembrey.  Stay safe tonight everyone.

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

You should've been living in The Highlands during early 1989... we were all stood at the windows watching fully mature trees fall down like matchsticks... Now that really was scary!

I witnessed 1987 growing up,  which is part of my dislike of really high winds. I remember leaving the house the morning after and almost being clattered by a for sale board and holding onto a lamp post!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

64 mph gust now in Porthcawl 10 min mean now upto 45mph.

Edited by phil b

Posted
17 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

I witnessed 1987 growing up,  which is part of my dislike of really high winds. I remember leaving the house the morning after and almost being clattered by a for sale board and holding onto a lamp post!

That storm was over by morning 

Posted
16 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

That storm was over by morning 

Believe me, there were some pretty savage gusts around in central London at 9am. We were trying to get to an appointment at St. Thomas's hospital from Millbank. It was. Interesting 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

MetO forecast winds here continue to be downgraded for my part of the West Midlands.  Yesterday they were forecasting 28mph sustained with 54mph gusts around midnight tonight, now as of 11pm winds are forecast to top out around 24 sustained with 45mph gusts.  Quite a drop and I can't say I'm sorry to see the reduction - I hate strong winds.

Edited by Simon M
Spelling