Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Bella - Atlantic storm 2

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The Met office have named Storm Bella from 10pm Boxing Day to 9am Sunday and issued an amber warning for Strong winds

Storm Bella will bring disruption to travel and utilities over parts of south and southeast England and south Wales

What to expect

• Longer journey times and cancellations likely, as road, rail, air and ferry services may be affected
  • Some roads and bridges likely to close
  • Probably some damage to buildings, such as tiles blown from roofs
  • Flying debris is likely and could lead to Injuries or danger to life
  • Injuries and danger to life is likely from large waves and beach material being thrown onto coastal roads, sea fronts and properties
  • There is a good chance that power cuts may occur, with the potential to affect other services, such as mobile phone coverage

Very strong southwesterly winds are expected for parts of south and southeast England and south Wales on Sunday morning. Inland gusts of 50-60 mph are likely with a few spots likely to see 60-70 mph for a time. Hills and particularly coasts exposed to the southwesterly winds will see a few gusts of 70-80 mph. In addition to the strong winds, a period of heavy, squally rain is expected and may prove an additional hazard.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2020-12-26&id=4a8efc70-40fb-4c25-95d2-fbf6080c4c92&details

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

ICON’s take on Storm Bella... Blimey! High 70s/low 80mph wind gusts being shown in the channel and along the immediate coastline  

273DFBEF-EE4D-469B-AC9E-9F39D480E732.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Huge low pressure bringing some filthy weather later Boxing Day, Sunday, even into Monday.

Calmer near the centre of the low but wild around it with rain, sleet and wet snow. Heading out for apres Christmas fresh air will be bracing.

More water for the already flood sensitive areas. Wales and SW England into West Midlands Later on Boxing day and overnight into 27th, flood warnings continue from this week's rain.  

Western Scotland getting soaked on Boxing Day. warning here too from Met Office. 

dec24bella.png

dec24amberwarnbella.png

dec24bellaRAIN.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Looking forward to this, it's been 10 months since the last decent strong winds, and I'm currently on the IOW so should feel the full force of it!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Looks like my area is in the main zone for this storm, hope it brings some excitement this winter 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
7 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

Looks like my area is in the main zone for this storm, hope it brings some excitement this winter 

Me too but I don't want it. I hope the lucky get the snow they are after though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I'm right on the coast so I'm definitely in the area that could see the strongest winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Be careful what you wish for. An Amber warning and winds possibly gusting 70-80 mph along the South Coast is not something I would be looking forward to at any time of year, let alone the Christmas weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Looking a bit stronger this morning  and the west looks to have interesting weather for a few days after as well.

Going to be interesting too see if we actually notice this one. None of the recent ones have really bothered us regards to winds. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
16 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Looking a bit stronger this morning  and the west looks to have interesting weather for a few days after as well.

Going to be interesting too see if we actually notice this one. None of the recent ones have really bothered us regards to winds. 

Stronger, ouch 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
2 hours ago, The PIT said:

That's nice to hear 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Not normal for storms to upgrade as you get closer to the time. Most of the winds to the south of us although met has between 50 to 55mph the Beeb 40 mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms

High res AROME 12z run showing 70-80+ mph over a large portion of the south coast and channel. Certainly not to be taken lightly and well worth the amber warning from the MetO. Wouldn't mind betting the Needles will see 90+mph from this.

image.thumb.png.b32f20c9b06a281396c26004978ffdc6.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, York-snow said:

All of theses lorries parked up on the south coast could turn into the biggest domino run ever seen!  

and even more sad, the drivers won't be going anywhere across the channel until the storm passes. so stuck in the uk even longer than the want. looks like the only thing that can trump c19 is Mother nature

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

No need to worry; by this time next week, we'll be well and truly ensconced... in the sunny uplands!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

BBC going for gusts of over 100mph on the west side of the Isle of Wight. I'm gonna have to go check that out tonight although I'm sure it'll be wild enough on the east side too where I'm currently staying!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
31 minutes ago, Lance M said:

BBC going for gusts of over 100mph on the west side of the Isle of Wight. I'm gonna have to go check that out tonight although I'm sure it'll be wild enough on the east side too where I'm currently staying!

Were you looking at the Forecast for Freshwater? I’ve often noticed the BBC goes crazy with the wind speeds for that location. Maybe it’s because it gets the forecast data from the needles Old battery site?

For comparison, The met office app goes for 65mph wind gusts for that location.

• Thanks 1