Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas and New Year

Posted
33 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Damn it, just had to cancel my Xmas BBQ. I was promised that the 'uppers' were too marginal for snow. 

IMG_20201224_081831.thumb.jpg.1f297d0131528dfc47dc9dc79373b896.jpg

Better photos will appear on the Scottish thread later, once it gets a little lighter and the current blizzard conditions subside. 

Promised by whom? That's just not true.

The North of GB with height has always shown as the most likely for snow.

For the rest of us. Very little chance in the next 10 days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
Just now, mountain shadow said:

Next 10 days?  

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

Look at weather historys post ...

Particularly the ref to uppers.. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

This thread is completely bipolar and difficult for someone with a very limited understanding to follow.

One post will be talking about potential blizzards but is immediately followed by the next post talking about bbqs and swimsuits. 

I understand nothing is nailed on and most of the posting will involve charts deep into the future, but it sure is confusing!

Merry Christmas to all of you anyway and I hope we all see some of the white stuff over the next couple of months.

Yes, agreed. 

• Like 3

Posted

Merry Christmas all,northern blocking very solid low pressure in Atlantic heading south

different due to increased blocking.Snow most definitely on the agenda in places 

over the next 10 days,possibly turning more settled with hard frosts in fantasy island.

Can not get much better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Surprised no mention of Saturday night wind storm mentioned by Met Office anywhere that I can see... Though others don't seem to be making so much of wind speeds.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Azazel said:

This thread is completely bipolar and difficult for someone with a very limited understanding to follow.

One post will be talking about potential blizzards but is immediately followed by the next post talking about bbqs and swimsuits. 

I understand nothing is nailed on and most of the posting will involve charts deep into the future, but it sure is confusing!

Merry Christmas to all of you anyway and I hope we all see some of the white stuff over the next couple of months.

True, it's always been like that, but over the years you get to see which members talk absolute nonsense and which ones don't, and lets be honest, there isn't a single person out there can can categorically state with 100% accuracy what the weather will do over the next 10 days.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

It's the type of set-up that can catch people out make monkeys out of weather forecasters and local authorities

Early January 1994, remember this well. A band of preciptation gave snowfalls to the west and north of London. Caught the forecasters out 

NOAA_1_1994010606_1.pngNOAA_1_1994010618_2.png

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted

well after many years on this forum, i still cant interpret the model charts. but then i don't bother to either. i have said many many times, you cant forecast past 3 - 5 days with any accuracy at all. so every post interpreting past 5 days, to me, is just not worth looking at. 

we all have our own slant on things, not just weather. an analogy would be that some people like tea and some like coffee. no good trying to tell the other one that their choice is wrong. 

so i will carry on in my way, which is to look at the forecast for the week ahead and each day pop my head out the door and think, they got it right or they got it wrong. but whichever it is, there is nothing on this planet that will change the here and now  

each to their own  

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
46 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Bit like at the end of February 1989, look how low the pressure (sub 965mb)  is but how slack the gradient is over the UK

NOAA_1_1989022506_1.png

Incidentally we had snow here that Friday evening but look at the 850hpas

NOAA_1_1989022418_2.png

Actually thats a very good analogy, I remember the day well in Birmingham, wet snow fell all day but didn't settle , however, above 200meters lying snow was widespread and Buxton, Derbyshire had 6 inches.

Similar weather this week I suspect and I think most people will need height to get settling snow.

Andy

Posted
14 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Its the type of set-up that can catch people out make monkey's out of weather forecasters and local authorities

Early January 1994, remember this well. A band of preciptation gave snowfalls to the west and north of London. Caught the forecasters out 

Slack/ poor uppers ..

And still it snowed ...

Posted

Loads to keep us entertained next week as MWB says above. At least if the snow ends up missing you on Monday or we get sleet / rain we won’t be too disappointed as we can just look to the following days for the next opportunity. Can’t remember the last year we had a set of ensembles like this with a 30% chance of snow almost every day and uppers well below average for the entire run on almost every ensemble.  ❄️⛄

BF351D03-7345-4CD9-8ED9-161C64F0A815.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
2 hours ago, Captain Shortwave said:

ECM wins the “Please circle the U.K.” competition

image.thumb.gif.c05cb37e9a8ffbe6350bca0893ed1755.gif

very low heights, slack flow across most of the U.K. and 850s of -3/4c. A lot of good ingredients there for snow to reach low levels. Beyond that, increasing confidence of getting into a better position longer term with consistency across the board of a high latitudes block forming in the very north of the Atlantic.

Out of interest why is the pressure so slack and over such a wide area within this massive LP? Happy Christmas everyone ⛄⛄⛄

Posted
16 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

It's the type of set-up that can catch people out make monkeys out of weather forecasters and local authorities

Yup and thicknesses next week are even lower and 850s couple of degrees colder than the chart you posted above!!all systems go!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
46 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

Just seem MO extended outlook.. And its totally at odds with what the models we see are telling us.. Still banging the high pressure drum for end of December and new year... Why are they ignoring ECM GFS GEM and the rest. 

Don’t know why that would be.  Here’s the 30th December. (+144h) as shown by all the models this morning:

UKMO.                                                         ECM

100620B4-706D-4AA3-B399-DE5B1CE6753F.thumb.gif.0d5690a462dca869c739e3bb30d56f86.gif    7286B5CA-62E0-4A82-8603-45AF7EFA406C.thumb.gif.fa32bd01421f8128863d269aacae8aec.gif

GFS.                                                            GEM

CDB9A519-5289-47D0-9F47-1BEA2FBE239B.thumb.png.d7a7a52e5ab2d87e2266b32c455632d4.png    4AABD237-729C-45C5-991E-240B7E67E838.thumb.png.a904966283b322fe5d4e75a802d0017b.png

JMA.                                                               NAVGEM

0ED191AD-2ED4-47E9-876E-EF4B870809CF.thumb.gif.d0f1b1e444e9017cafa35ca001148933.gif    F7DCBF53-152E-4A0C-ABE0-5326819D6DEE.thumb.png.af6e5dde398cd75e9e6464a6e3e30305.png

ICON
B214A851-A2AB-4E9D-9E20-01563E616F39.thumb.png.6496de07316519863d42d34cf5ef72c8.png

All agreed - high pressure ridge in the Atlantic to the west, low pressure firmly over the UK.  Could they all be wrong at this stage?  I doubt it.  Of course, after this date it’s anyone’s guess......

Edited by Sky Full
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Yup and thicknesses next week are even lower and 850s couple of degrees colder than the chart you posted above!!all systems go!!

Absolutely, forgive me for a now post on this forum,but it's snowing heavily with me in Middlesbrough right now,after rain and wind all day yesterday as this low now pulls in from the NE on its back edge,the change to snow is so quick,you can only to think something is afoot this year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1