Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The run up to Christmas

Met4Cast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Coronavirus lockdown, this won't be a normal January, already going for one of driest on record, GFS 00Z also has very little rain after Sunday

h850t850eu.png

• Like 2

Posted

WOW! Big dump still there on ECM this time next week! 4th day in a row to show a massive fall early to kid next week, starting in the north west and heading south east. This time Up to 35cm falls for parts of midlands but a covering for most!  

*Ps please remember it is Net Weather law that someone points out that this post is rubbish as ECM has a flaw that accumulates all snow falling without inc sleet and blah blah blah *

ITS HAPPENING GUYS & GALS !!! ❄️⛄❄️

23A026E2-46A0-417A-ADEA-30819BAFE7CE.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
3 hours ago, Scott Ingham said:

Yeah definitely. The ukmo has the low too far north. Agreed about the GFS. The GFS run is a match for the BBC forecast. All will depend on where troughs and disturbances lie. Lets hope the ECM backs the GFS. Certainly has upgraded potential from 2 days ago

another good set of run today what impresses me is the continuity from the GFS and it now looks like the UKMO will back it from day six impressive output I have seen since 2018 and this GFS would only get called as time goes on. I do hope the BBC forecast will come to fruition by the way when did you see that forecast?

• Like 4

Posted

As you were from yesterday with regards to 28-29th period, if anything the models are starting to firm up on a snow event somewhere as the secondary low forms and swings down.

These set-ups are capable of really big dumpings if they perform a small tight loop around the old circulation center (the ECM kinda shows this) and so we need to keep a close eye on this, but also be aware it may take a few more days to get more confidence of this.

Beyond that and there are still strong suggestions of a Greenland high trying to form, whether it makes it remains to b seen and frankly with the jet running to our south we may not even need it as strong as a slightly less surpressed pattern may allow a wave of lows with cold air aloft to butt towards the UK.

Odds of a prolonged cold spell only heading up at the moment...perhaps at the one time we could do without it...

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 6

Posted

White Christmas is gone for most, but East Anglia could still see flakes falling

Screenshot_20201223-081200.thumb.png.f28a6dc1933b56eeb613515f9bd38606.png

though if anything unexpected comes out of the sky, it'll probably be white

Screenshot_20201223-081815.thumb.png.69f4e01a734279fc8dc2747901f176ce.png

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Gfs // has lost itScreenshot_20201223_083955.thumb.jpg.ba49df896328813e2635030511e2b03d.jpg1060mb

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
4 minutes ago, topo said:

In that case it must be on the money . 
BFTP

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, sheikhy said:

Guys its done man!!we heading for what could be a notable cold and snowy period!!all 3 models look amazing!!!

gfs Yes...

Ec kind of

Uk absolutely not 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, chionomaniac said:

LOL that GFS run from 00Z. Thing is, is that I don't quite think we've reached full potential yet.....

Hi Chionomniiac , any concerns that today the models seem to indicate a displacement  rather than split around the 7th Jan ? ironic that GLOSEA finally started coming on board with a SSW that we go from a spilt to displacement as we know with UK luck where the displacement wil end up !!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning all, I rarely post in here because frankly my contribution of 'ooo, look at the pretty blobs and squiggly lines' adds little to the conversation. But even my baffled brain can see the potential on offer this time and I'm looking forward to seeing snowmen and sledging on the news, a bit of light relief that's much needed.

wonderful.jpg

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, southbank said:

Hi Chionomniiac , any concerns that today the models seem to indicate a displacement  rather than split around the 7th Jan ? ironic that GLOSEA finally started coming on board with a SSW that we go from a spilt to displacement as we know with UK luck where the displacement wil end up !!! 

Oh no I knew it would end up a displacement great...

• Like 1

Posted

With charts like these showing albeit in deep FI who can be unhappy! I don't know. Come xmas day when were eating our xmas dinner we can be looking at the charts and dream what might be, atleast we have that and not endless zonality been shown. Esembles are great aswel, Not many perputations down to -10 but flatlinng most of the way at -5 is terrific consistencey. 

A lot of talk about 850s been cold enough? It works both ways I'm afraid, there are certainly  a lot more parrameters in place to guarantee snow. I remember in 2010 when it started with a north/north easterly, we had uppers here of -11 850hpa, it rained!! Even when the temperature was -1.5c, unbelievable and other times we had propper snow with no melt at -4 850hpa..

GFSOPEU00_348_1.png

t850West_Yorkshire.png

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters
1 hour ago, Tim Bland said:

WOW! Big dump still there on ECM this time next week! 4th day in a row to show a massive fall early to kid next week, starting in the north west and heading south east. This time Up to 35cm falls for parts of midlands but a covering for most!  

*Ps please remember it is Net Weather law that someone points out that this post is rubbish as ECM has a flaw that accumulates all snow falling without inc sleet and blah blah blah *

ITS HAPPENING GUYS & GALS !!! ❄️⛄❄️

23A026E2-46A0-417A-ADEA-30819BAFE7CE.jpeg

M4 snowshield in full effect!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, southbank said:

I don’t think they necessarily show a displacement- gfs doesn’t go far enough to split on its 00z run. it would probably split by day 18.  However, the gfs op is no longer consistent on the upcoming warming.  Until we get consistency back then guessing where any vortices end up is a bit pointless