Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The run up to Christmas

Met4Cast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow !!!!
4 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

And dearest netweather geeks.. I propose we all swear a solemn pact between each of us.... NOT A GOD DARN WORD TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS FOR NOW PLEASE!

I’m sure we have all been there

.........ooops.........

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
3 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

And dearest netweather geeks.. I propose we all swear a solemn pact between each of us.... NOT A GOD DARN WORD TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS FOR NOW PLEASE!

Too late 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

I once discussed with a work colleague how I was all into weather and the raw models and I've been learning on the ins and outs and then proceeded to proclaim it was going to be a cold winter with snow on the way.

Learned the hard way not to believe what you see too soon.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Imagine that blob of -2024 850hpa temps coming towards us over +ve sea temps, that would generate some serious convective snowfall.

image.thumb.png.40e74306bba0e9d4f78fafdeef418738.png

good enough to throw hot water in the air!! 

But even then people on here may say the upper air temps aren't cold enough.......

Otherwise, in the short term its nice to see models are converging on key points at the moment, such as retrogression happening, a seasonal feel to Christmas. Where the low drops etc is still very much up for grabs....

We've got a bit of isolation to get over so plenty of time for this to resolve....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Mean for the 28th.  Now the interest will be to see the small detail in the shorter term. Longer term bigger picture will be fascinating as well.

1FBB4D45-5F4C-4806-B823-6D8111F9C288.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Scott Ingham said:

That high pressure over the Ural region has been very persistent and has been our friend. Very important piece of the jigsaw. I remember when i wanted that to persist n others were saying it was wasting time on winter you and catacol were on the same lines knowing we needed it for a ssw

Well let's hope we get a SSW and that it propagates down in a way that benefits us. As of now that high is a reason why lot of Europe will have a very warm December (except for France, Spain and UK). It seems we will finish the year in this setup.

image.thumb.png.b4d899b7e12071051ec2fbf54b65897d.png

• Like 2

Posted

Really is wonderful to watch the models at the moment.  Currently on the gfs 6z  at 330h  we are pulling in a north easterly   and the Atlantic as frozen over.

Nothing to see here.

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

EC 00z scenarios

120-168h

spacer.png

192-240h

spacer.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

A good consistently cold (if not very cold) run from GFS 06z ending with a nice Scandi High way into FI.

image.thumb.png.51e5ed076b231d3915ce0c20900fa673.png

GFS is usually hell bent on bringing back default zonality as soon as we get to the tail end of FI, especially after a few cold runs.

FWIW I think with the cold / coldish air mass over us for a prolonged period at what is the best time of year for localised cooling to occur, there could be some nice wintry / snowy surprises almost anywhere - and not just the 'usual' spots.

Edited by Purga
  • Like 4

Posted

If its Snow you want  in the mid term  The control brings quite a bit of the white stuff   on the 27th and the 28th    Of course likely to change  but potential is there. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
3 hours ago, Tim Bland said:

Morning gang. Loving the ECM this morning. Position is obvious subject to massive change but that low / PV ruminants drops 20cm of snow on its way down ⛄❄️

1A4646AC-9157-45B2-91AB-F0B7A296275E.gif

5D422840-EA6F-485C-AF0E-2BBB66708A49.jpeg

BANK!! think I'd sacrifice all of next winter for that chart to come off! 

Better hope Catacol  doesn't see that chart seeing as he's recently moved from down this way

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
12 minutes ago, Smartie said:

BANK!! think I'd sacrifice all of next winter for that chart to come off! 

Better hope Catacol  doesn't see that chart seeing as he's recently moved from down this way

Get the right set up, and we can get hammered here.  Seen it a few times, Feb 78 being notable.

• Like 6