Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The run up to Christmas

Met4Cast

Posted
14 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Morning gang. Loving the ECM this morning. Position is obvious subject to massive change but that low / PV ruminants drops 20cm of snow on its way down ⛄❄️

1A4646AC-9157-45B2-91AB-F0B7A296275E.gif

5D422840-EA6F-485C-AF0E-2BBB66708A49.jpeg

Just for fun I've had a look at my "windy" app for this week's weather that runs until the 25th comparing forecasts from different models. A couple show some nice surprises IMBY on Christmas eve... 

• Like 2

Posted
37 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

It’s raining outside now and the rain feels cold.  So it’s likely to be ‘very cold rain’ or snow?

BFTP

Imagine if it were something worse!

The dreaded sleet.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Hotspur62 said:

Just a quick one from me.Although I have reasonable knowledge it is nothing like most on here so hence the hypothetical question-To me if that was a 9 day chart it would seem the high in the Atlantic would topple over to the UK as angle looks that way?Is it the high to the East that is stronger that keeps firmly in place or am I totally wrong in that assumption?thanks in advance to anyone.

Looks like The Russian ridge holds the sceuro trough in place. The trend for that ridge to strengthen remains this morning on the eps .....as mused last evening, whilst the Atlantic ridge continues to ebb and flow, we see systems dropping in on a mainly nw/se axis into the trough.  How that manifests itself dictates whether wet or white .... 

and do we then see the Atlantic ridge extend across to its Russian cousin ?  I always look for a cold pool somewhere in Russia at times like this when there is a chance we could see a Siberian ridge push west with med low heights likely ....should be nothing more than a note in the back of your mind but there is one at day 10 on the ec op. It likely won’t be there in twelve hours but it might come back .....

• Like 6

Posted

General pattern continues to look good for a general coldish spell after Christmas. I'm anticipating the next issue, which is either a good thing or bad thing depending what side you fall upon, may be identifying dreaded mild sectors as secondary frontal areas move into the cold flow from the north west. Fantastic snow makers if you are in the eastern flank, but rain makers just a few miles to the west. It's never easy chasing snow...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

General pattern continues to look good for a general coldish spell after Christmas. I'm anticipating the next issue, which is either a good thing or bad thing depending what side you fall upon, may be identifying dreaded mild sectors as secondary frontal areas move into the cold flow from the north west. Fantastic snow makers if you are in the eastern flank, but rain makers just a few miles to the west. It's never easy chasing snow...

To even be in a position to talk about snow right is absolutely fantastic!!!chalk and cheese compared to last year!!!

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Synoptically looking great on the 00z runs this morning, the T850s don't look much for a screaming northerly next week, however, those worried by the poor looking T850s, the air thicknesses and surface dew points modelled don't look quite so bad for snow, but this far out are subject to change. 

I prefer to use the thickness and dew points to look for the potential for snow, I know it's futile this far off, but  850-1000 hPa thickness of 1290-1300 gpdm and 500-1000 hPa thickness below 524 gpdm and a dew point around 0C the upper limit for snow to fall, just about meet that across many parts Tuesday onwards next week as the flow turns northerly on GFS op. 

Longer term, looking at the extended  00z EPS 500 hPa mean, a signal for the trop vortex over Canadian arctic to retrograde toward Alaskan arctic - this may open up the possibility for high latitude blocking while maintaining low heights over mainland Europe as we head into the New Year. So looking good.

With this background state of blocking and the GFS still signalling for a major weakening of the SPV and perhaps SSW in January, it's looking very interesting for coldies for the rest of winter, should everything fall in place ...

728710426_u_65N_10hpa_gefs(1).thumb.png.b8c3a85eb525cbdc9e60f5bfd1d51276.pngu_65N_10hpa.thumb.png.4d08c2007ef8fe535e90a0c73e4003d2.png

Hi Nick thanks for that very informative weather summary,can I ask your opinion of this low pressure 

system forecast for this Wednesday/Thursday.Do you feel on its northern edge as it pulls away east/ southeast

from the south of U.K. a possibility of some rain turning to snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
18 minutes ago, Hotspur62 said:

Just a quick one from me.Although I have reasonable knowledge it is nothing like most on here so hence the hypothetical question-To me if that was a 9 day chart it would seem the high in the Atlantic would topple over to the UK as angle looks that way?Is it the high to the East that is stronger that keeps firmly in place or am I totally wrong in that assumption?thanks in advance to anyone.

For me, this is not a typical NH profile. We have a broken tPV with the main vortex on the Asia/Pacific side and a daughter vortex to the NW. So the power game of high -v- low (tPV) seemingly now favours the Atlantic high. Any pattern corrections in a stagnant NH appear to come form an injection of heights from the west and it is that interaction that may move the pieces more than the usual suspects post d9...

d10 mean>1054996_gensnh-31-1-240(2).thumb.png.c7aa6b35ed27d7da2a967c696de927e3.png d16 op> gfsnh-0-384.thumb.png.01ca6a17e79d1227a6612b53552f53d9.png

...that morphs into an omega block by d16 (op).

Getting the ScEuro trough in place was always likely to be our best solution for some cold from this trop led upcoming pattern (with that pesky Russian block). Certainly the opportunity for cold in Europe from this spell is limited and for once the UK may benefit more than most. The usual caveat that the models are right!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, Tim Bland said:

Morning gang. Loving the ECM this morning. Position is obvious subject to massive change but that low / PV ruminants drops 20cm of snow on its way down ⛄❄️

1A4646AC-9157-45B2-91AB-F0B7A296275E.gif

5D422840-EA6F-485C-AF0E-2BBB66708A49.jpeg

Those'd be Santa's reindeer, I'd guess? But we are, I think, headed for something special... And, by the time this is all over, I might even know what a Greenland High is!:santa-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
23 minutes ago, Anthony Burden said:

Hi Nick thanks for that very informative weather summary,can I ask your opinion of this low pressure 

system forecast for this Wednesday/Thursday.Do you feel on its northern edge as it pulls away east/ southeast

from the south of U.K. a possibility of some rain turning to snow.

I would consider it a rather low possibility at the moment, none of this morning's models suggest snow across the south on the northern edge of the rain shield as it pulls away. Perhaps maybe over the Welsh mountains. Cold/dry enough air from the north not  catching up this rain unfortunately to allow it fall as snow.

A few wintry showers down eastern coastal areas on Xmas Day though, that 12/1 bet for Norwich White Xmas from William Hill perhaps would've been a good punt.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

GFS picking up on this little feature this morning (just south of Iceland on this chart.)  This aids in dragging down some slightly colder 850s into the flow.

F0260515-53A3-48E3-B3F5-A10B4D21D706.thumb.png.0fcf106156f26575e2abed251f5c8ae9.png
134B41BB-07EA-4533-863A-02CE951C7340.thumb.png.85aa8caef0b66ff59e4758787f590d4a.png

Shortwaves/features/troughs will be popping up left right and centre within the flow I would imagine through next week. Snow could literally fall anywhere at short notice if the air is cold enough. 

Ive ordered three sledges! At the very least I’m expecting some hill snow over the Cotswolds at some point next week ❄️ 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

So here we are another morning comes around and the models are better again, ticking down nicely into a time frame where we start to think this could really happen.. just keep getting flashbacks to December 2012 and that ECM period.. inside t96 and it all just vanished in one set of runs.. surely 2020 cant be that cruel after everything else thats happened so far. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Surely that's not three bad

Screenshot_20201221_094037.jpg

Posted
6 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Icon heading straight into greenland at 120 hours and upgrade on the 00z for the same timeframe!!

Indeed. The angle is much better than the 0z, reminds me of one of the early GFS runs yesterday with the way it’s opening up heights between GL and the arctic high.

4FE3514B-AE8C-4FDF-A843-EC35A50FB881.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

More excellent runs the morning. My only concern, mentioned by others, is how Far East the pattern goes and whether we wind up stuck under the high ourselves. I doubt it as it’s been fed by waves off the American coast by that’s clearly what the Meto have thought for some time reading their longer term outlooks. I would like to see that changed soon. One of those rare occasions where the cross model consensus is so overwhelming I think it will but just a nerve I have!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
3 minutes ago, ITSY said:

More excellent runs the morning. My only concern, mentioned by others, is how Far East the pattern goes and whether we wind up stuck under the high ourselves. I doubt it as it’s been fed by waves off the American coast by that’s clearly what the Meto have thought for some time reading their longer term outlooks. I would like to see that changed soon. One of those rare occasions where the cross model consensus is so overwhelming I think it will but just a nerve I have!

Hopefully the Russian high will stop this eastern progress though?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Rapid transition alerts @rain to snow.. via 6z!!!

BDDE8231-1AEF-4C5A-A0E2-A460CAF5897E.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
8 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

So here we are another morning comes around and the models are better again, ticking down nicely into a time frame where we start to think this could really happen.. just keep getting flashbacks to December 2012 and that ECM period.. inside t96 and it all just vanished in one set of runs.. surely 2020 cant be that cruel after everything else thats happened so far. 

Easterlys always a more fragile setup leading up to it.....more confident with current set of synoptics and more so consistency especially from the GFS over the last 3 days or so.....winter is comming ❄☃️

• Like 1