Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Closing in on Christmas

Paul

Posted
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Unfortunately the little low could still do this, let's just hope not, all depends on when or if it phases with our jet stream.

Not to mention we have this shortwave business to get around too as well 

Starting to think that this run in general has pushed the cold back sightly 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
1 minute ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Classic GFS-style for me: predicting smthg big in fi, than swinging back or delaying it with every new run a bit more, until just a cold fart remains. Only hope: the big patterns this season are quite better then the last years have ever been...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

The 6z GFS spaghetti had a brief boost in the 850 temps on 22/23 Dec

image.thumb.png.95b539dabb6391bc48581016d95482a9.png

That's been ruthlessly crushed on the 12z (note - this is not yet full set) replaced by a proper divergence around the 22nd (the op taking the warmer route temporarily) before most take a tumble from Xmas Eve onwards

image.thumb.png.f7b5f136c7dc36a87bf5a542294a597f.png

Something could well be afoot. Maybe

image.thumb.png.e5089477e0d2f2f30945880038a74233.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
10 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

I was talking about the gem here, it has the USA low come over us bring very mild air. GFS run somehow doesn't look to bad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
36 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

It’s the main area to watch over the next week or so, it’s the big nor’easter,snowstorm which is set to impact the NE USA on Wednesday/ Thursday (see my snow and ice twitter thread) we have seen these systems cause quite a bit of confusion among the models over the years usually 2 options either it can go north as it moves across the Atlantic and bring the more typical Atlantic wind and rain (similar thing happened a few winters ago with the failed easterly ) or it can go to the south / south west of the UK and that’s usually something I keep a look out for as majority of the time u get a pressure rise to the north and can lead to an easterly - right on cue the latest gfs hinting at that. 

This ensemble is a lovely example (some others also trying for a similar pattern) image.thumb.gif.9eda2a9e58aead8c31923cd2ce371367.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

The GFS 12z run is something that I’ve been looking out for the last few days and it’s great to finally see it being modelled.

Pressure rise to the west > northerly > north-easterly > high topples over > rise in pressure over Scandinavia > easterly 

The PV towards the end does ramp up which flattens the pattern but if we get energy underneath/weakened PV then it’s game on. Watching out for this evolution over the next few days...

0D7E8AAD-33E4-44E9-AE4A-69994B3415DA.png

DDB09D38-5B02-4D8B-8481-FA2AEEDD8553.png

AB5E8437-C730-49F2-B65A-B1140C47533F.png

F59F5791-366F-4D89-9F97-3CFC82AD0377.png

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 5

Posted
32 minutes ago, Vikos said:

Classic GFS-style for me: predicting smthg big in fi, than swinging back or delaying it with every new run a bit more, until just a cold fart remains. Only hope: the big patterns this season are quite better then the last years have ever been...

Indeed I have seen this before sadly and I can only fear it will happen again 

Also of note this GFS 12z was a cold outlier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
38 minutes ago, LRD said:

The 6z GFS spaghetti had a brief boost in the 850 temps on 22/23 Dec

image.thumb.png.95b539dabb6391bc48581016d95482a9.png

That's been ruthlessly crushed on the 12z (note - this is not yet full set) replaced by a proper divergence around the 22nd (the op taking the warmer route temporarily) before most take a tumble from Xmas Eve onwards

image.thumb.png.f7b5f136c7dc36a87bf5a542294a597f.png

Something could well be afoot. Maybe

image.thumb.png.e5089477e0d2f2f30945880038a74233.png

That’s the short vs long ensembles there, confused me for a second! 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Incorrect. Mid to bottom of pack and leading the way nicely at the end I felt

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
2 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Was it thou?

image.thumb.png.1969ace2e876df3ccb7497d08f75478a.png

There’s the correct comparison.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

As ECM rolls out a quick look back at GFS 12z ensembles.

Here is optimal mean chart for Atlantic blocking, it is not quite as good as previous runs but suggests a cold snap over Xmas.

gensnh-31-1-216.png

For those still learning how to read the various charts; 

for deeper more protracted cold, at least with any initial Polar air incursion, we would want that "bump" in the Atlantic reaching toward SW Greenland to be better defined, more a prong than a bump, and to reach further N into the heart of Greenland and most of all to be slightly W of Greenland.

The mean above suggest a toppler where the ridge instead of building into Greenland "topples over" due to Atlantic  shortwave lows developing just tot he SW tip of Greenland and pushing E preventing the ridge building N and flattening the pattern as ridge  collapses toward the UK and Europe which cuts off any Polar feed.

In some circumstances the ridge doesn't fully topple, if there is low pressure in NW Europe to prop it up or a ridge reaching back from Scandinavia which can produce an Easterly but 9/10 it will bring a miler W flow back in.

The caveat here is that mean charts need to be seen as exactly that, a mean of possible outcomes, not necessarily the most likely outcome on the day, and the further out they are the more diluted the signal becomes since it is often an either/either scenario where none of those scenarios are actually represented by the mean as it shows a an amalgamation of them both.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
4 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

^^ give it a few days and watch that mean improve. It will never show a defined ridge on a mean 10 days out!

I thought I made that Perfectly clear Tim.

Another way to look at it is that if less ensembles went for a toppler and stronger ridge then that that mean ridge would better show the characteristics I described if we want to see a cold spell develop over Xmas rather than a more diluted version.

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
4 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Was it thou?

image.thumb.png.1969ace2e876df3ccb7497d08f75478a.png

Not an outlier.  Towards the colder end of the ensembles though.

My twopence worth is that the GFS is far more reliable with Northerlies than Easterlies so my confidence for a Northerly of sorts on the big day is increasing.

Any Easterly shown thereafter should be taken with a truckload of salt though as I think we could just as easily end up with a toppler rather than the GFS evolution.

Let's see what the latter stages of the ECM brings....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

ecm and gfs at d6:

1587856252_ECE1-144(2).thumb.gif.28807ec70a4ae79f1b2fd99efb685955.gif759233409_gfseu-0-144(3).thumb.png.3f2c78662c9bacecec381d09c303d554.png

Both have a similar perspective as to the low on the jet and it merging with the trough. Great to see continuity cross-models at this range. We shall see how the ecm deals with the Atlantic ridge?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Very nice GFS this afternoon., with plenty of cold GEFS as well.  I'm liking the direction of travel over the past couple of days.  Hopefully the ECM doesn't sour the mood in here!

image.thumb.png.62f5f0ce604e857842a6a7a6cbf00097.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, chris55 said:

That’s the short vs long ensembles there, confused me for a second! 

Yep - I do say 'note - these are not the full set'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
4 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Very nice GFS this afternoon., with plenty of cold GEFS as well.  I'm liking the direction of travel over the past couple of days.  Hopefully the ECM doesn't sour the mood in here!

image.thumb.png.62f5f0ce604e857842a6a7a6cbf00097.png

Are we seriously looking at a prolonged cold spell here instead of a snap?

there's every possibility looking at those uppers.

Edited by Allseasons-si
typo
  • Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

GFS 12z wasn't an outlier. On the chillier side of things but not an outlier at all. I was surprised to find it wasn't

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Love the evolution of the control run...

anim_uvx3.thumb.gif.457bcc9cde18a1a6d1de2e4029f31a18.gifanim_sej6.thumb.gif.b777f43799792d074945187fb3a538ee.gif

and the gefs ens

graphe3_1000_266_31___.thumb.png.e74040816b84c2f6b311d2d97f430b1c.png1030034247_tenor(1).thumb.gif.9b80ee51af0094d7024459fdafa8d4b1.gif

The end of that control run is where I expected us to be Christmas week with Greenland heights more prevalent after that in my head. I've never had Greenie heights being the first full story. In my head that was chapter 2 with retrogression and then west based NAO coinciding with PV intensification prior to a warming kicking in. But we'll see. What we know is amplification is being picked up on off the back of background signals and a lot of roads leading to Rome

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Nothing has changed, no reason why ECM won’t continue cold theme.  But then again .  Cold blast (beast I said but ok with a gruffalo) for Xmas on my sig since September...timing remains the same and hasn’t changed...we close in...

BFTP

• Like 1