Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Closing in on Christmas

Paul

Posted

Looking at EPS in its entirety certainly seems Atlantic ridging is a longstanding feature!! Also Euro low anomaly which is good. High confidence most of Europe is going to see some wintry weather. We’re more likely to be nearer to ridge so less obviously wintry - let’s hope it’s as far NW as possible then sky’s the limit! 

A0FEA1A6-8CDA-4C6F-8373-9C025C9830BB.thumb.gif.155668ac3b21c9c9aec4583e0d1e79fa.gif

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, nick sussex said:

Quite remarkable to see the drama the models are making over that low to the sw .

I saw that coming, may still be fi at 48 z lol. Although I'd like to hope it's finally sorted over night, then I'll start concentrating on the under cutting lows, to the west, or hopefully they will be anyway

• Like 4

Posted
39 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM clusters T192-T240, there are 6 of them!

8B30F801-669F-4154-AE1F-288E2C68A2C4.thumb.png.06cf57486880bff391938249b32ad112.png

But I’d take all but the last, least probable one!

Yes, the vast majority are ridge west / trough east, in various forms. Given the large size of the mean Atlantic ridge, I feel more confident that something between a NWly and a NEly will actually verify in some form, much more confident than I ever was about the Christmas Day northerly which looked ripe for toppling from the start. The NWly being far more likely than the NEly, but a N/N/Ely could follow after if the trough is aggressive in its progress towards Europe. Likely corrections will perhaps 7 out of 10 times rule out a trough ending up west. So, I think there's a fairly good chance northern areas will see snow after Christmas. Southerners really need the pattern to fall right, but no reason why it couldn't lead to snow here too if the trough ends up east or south of the UK (which seems as good an option as any right now). Lots of continuing interest for sure, though lots of potential frustration too!

Haven't totally given up on a few snow flurries on Christmas Eve/Day but it will need something a bit unusual to happen now.

• Like 5

Posted

all i say if this comes  off  this place  will go down in to melt  down!!!

gfs-2-342.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I don’t think we need a Scandi ridge the GFS 12z was crippling and splitting vortex without it. North Atlantic, wave 2 action? 

34D70DB5-66EA-4E34-8832-4A60D387CF81.thumb.gif.2c4f204deef7a5e636ce2047a9fbfca6.gif896F4CE4-2435-4913-9C9E-7D0DE19C65C0.thumb.gif.a2af97a8be99a5a40d4ab88adeec4331.gif

very similar to early January 2013 SSW and split 8 years later Hmm could we see a similar pathway...

58539431-0412-4DC1-B5E2-5C81F022FBDD.thumb.png.4cb05f7276354e5fed85dae2298ca9ff.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, snowbob said:

Can’t be that good

steve hasn’t popped in ( yet )

No surprise there.  We are still a *long* way from a wintry cold spell being nailed on.  Signals are promising but a lot of water is yet to flow under the bridge.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, ITSY said:

Wow, only missed the 67 messages. 

Meanwhile ECM looks good to me at 192. Not sure what more we could want at that range tbh! 
image.thumb.png.2a66f3bf43bc741b2a387274a3922724.png

Edit: could possibly do with the PV dropping more SEward rather than Sward in order to bring in colder uppers but, heyho, variation on a theme. That's all that matters for now!

Less of a southwesterly in the SE perhaps?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening Folks. A snapshot of January 25th 1963  a mid Atlantic Ridge. ....just like what is showing up now. Mum said it was soo cold under clear skies. Just look happened to Greenland that year!

Rrea00219630125.gif

• Like 5

Posted

Taken a week out of posting in here, and pleased I did, but have been viewing the charts with interest. 

There has been a lot of twoing and froing in recent days about likely developments as head into christmas period. This period is now coming into the reliable, but not quite there yet, by end of weekend will have a much better idea how things may pan out.

Alas, based on current output if it verifies as shown, then a very different christmas period to many we have experienced really.

In the short term, we have mid atlantic ridge development killing off the atlantic to a degree with more of a flow from between west and north, so turning colder, with return of frost and possibly some wintry showers through early part of upcoming week. All eyes then on developments over the Eastern USA seaboard, signs of a much more amplified and deeper trough which would have a domino effect, allowing for a more buckled jet and the mid atlantic ridge building north eventually, this is being shown on the models through next weekend, but beyond the reliable.

I do take note when we see such sudden amplification, signs something is stirring.. and especially when all models are all in sync, but only much more so when such developments are shown in the 120-144 hr timeframe.

A possible very interesting end to 2020, packs of potential for something substantively wintry. Might have to exchange a rather average christmas day for a much colder wintry New Year. we shall see.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
24 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I don’t think we need a Scandi ridge the GFS 12z was crippling and splitting vortex without it. North Atlantic, wave 2 action? 

34D70DB5-66EA-4E34-8832-4A60D387CF81.thumb.gif.2c4f204deef7a5e636ce2047a9fbfca6.gif896F4CE4-2435-4913-9C9E-7D0DE19C65C0.thumb.gif.a2af97a8be99a5a40d4ab88adeec4331.gif

very similar to early January 2013 SSW and split 8 years later Hmm could we see a similar pathway...

58539431-0412-4DC1-B5E2-5C81F022FBDD.thumb.png.4cb05f7276354e5fed85dae2298ca9ff.png

Good spot, Daniel, it won’t be quite the same this year, 2013 came on the back of mild (and the scars from that Dec 2012 failed easterly), but this year the trop pattern is so much primed for UK cold before it happens, so the SSW, when it happens (and it is certain in my view that it will) and the dice are thrown in the air, to land who knows where, will now likely be double or nothing.  Where’s your money?  I genuinely have no idea, but it will be fun finding out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.

GFS 18z: steady as she goes at t6.:santa-emoji:

38C35735-9E3E-4303-A1F0-DD9C1A7C2FFF.png

Edited by Frosty Winter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Wow,have I missed something Firstly those 12z ens are pretty encouraging moving forward, and I'm aware the ECM earlier was a peach.

I'm gonna bring you some positive news from Jon Hammonds updated blog this week..

Brief cold snap Xmas! Weather systems perhaps being blocked by colder air to the East..the jet carrying these systems having a tendancy to split rather than dive across us. There is a very real chance colder air lurking to the East will re assert itself,and this looks increasingly likely as we enter 2021.. Its been pointed out that many Long range  Models were writing off Winter before it began earlier on, now most of the long rangers are indicating the atmosphere will continue to be blocked.And most definitely signs the Vortex will significantly weaken in the coming weeks.

Its been a long time since I witnessed snow and I tell you what if and when it comes I will be running naked through it..

gens-0-1-264.png

gens-4-1-288.png

gens-5-1-336.png

gens-7-1-288.png

gens-11-1-372.png

gens-15-1-240.png

gens-20-1-336.png

gens-24-1-264.png

gens-24-0-288.png

gens-24-1-384.png

tenor-2.gif

• Like 5

Posted
57 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Great model watching at the moment. Momentum products are generally neutral - but the key here is that the GWO hasn’t descended (yet) into a Niña style orbit, meaning the kind of forcing that would help produce a flat pattern isn’t in process. Instead the GWO is holding in a high enough orbit to suggest amplification will continue.
image.thumb.gif.e37d2e091bc8998686f32842da072195.gif

Meanwhile we have rising mountain torque once again, predicted on the back of frictional torque that started to rise a week ago.

image.thumb.gif.d20e83dff04e68ae5d25a7b813995e46.gif

Resultant pacific jet energy is very evident at the moment, not just for today but for the next 10 days or more if gfs is to be believed.

image.thumb.png.1272f8e4a3badcf7bc36d2bb92212a36.png

In addition wave 1 energy has surpassed forecasts of a week ago, now running significantly above the levels predicted then. 

image.thumb.png.a20a1f75b4f8025369efb0455972bb33.png

As a result we have split vortices remaining split in the lower strat, preventing downwards reinforcement of westerlies.
image.thumb.png.c7376e3ff5a8a3898bee144038bacc90.png

And wave 2 forcing is returning - at low levels admittedly for now.

image.thumb.png.83809a57f6aa1c800117d754c92d7ceb.png
And finally we have a good bit of convective activity around the maritimes suggesting the MJO is entering a condition more conducive to supporting ridging

image.thumb.png.de5c0497b327143c2c6a1862dab8c567.png

Sum total? We have an unhappy vortex, I’d suggest the origins of which can be traced right back to the semi permanent ScEuro High that was being cursed in November. It’s unhappiness is being sustained by strong forcing from the pacific side, and it could become extremely unhappy when forcing kicks in from Scandy again. What will cause this? We have another +EAMT helping sustain wave breaking momentum, and a GWO profile and MJO context that at the very least are not in opposition and at best are providing support for ongoing amplification. And the timing is good. Trop led amplification is going to work to hit the vortex just when the vortex is ripe for being hit. 

There is nothing bad here, and no driver I can see that portends the return of a flatter pattern this side of New Year. By the time we get there the vortex could be in shreds. My pre season guess at an SSW on 23rd January looks conservative now. Amy Butler, boss of Strat knowledge, might be spot on with the 9th. We need the Ural High to remain in play so that we get a split SSW....and then the rest of winter is wide open for fun. Glosea can go swivel........

Amy is looking spot on as she usually is mate. My christmas week ssw and your end of January prediction will probably meet in the middle! Haha! Great post summing up direction of possible travel as usual!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Just showed this to my good friend and newsagent mr singh.. he has-now withdrawn all the adult magazines that I used ta buy from he’s shelves!!

31CF8035-C3EE-4607-A909-98B3F5650986.gif

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.
3 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Just showed this to my good friend and newsagent mr singh.. he has-now withdrawn all the adult magazines that I used ta buy from he’s shelves!!

54581C1A-88A0-4CC7-B02B-343BC6F3226A.png

Posted
4 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

And no doubt he's replaced them with that niche title Reader's Wedges....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

@Mr Frost

Brrrrh!!!,you just sent a shiver down my spine lol:cold-emoji:

yes if we can't have snow then i am looking foreword to a crispy/chilly/sunny and frosty Christmas morning,...bring it on,that seems like a decent starter before the main course...hopefully,there has been some consistency showing in the models since last night for more of an amplified ridge in the Atlantic but we need to see this get to closer timeframes 

The 12z ICON at 120 has some snow from the midlands north as the low pulls away but the 18z is further SW so still some uncertainty of the track of this feature.

iconeu_uk1-1-120-0.thumb.png.dd6ddb50fe7d51b8832ee17d560b8f4b.pngiconeu_uk1-1-114-0.thumb.png.03625a8d4ae7fd565c78826264f1ee28.png

Have a great Christmas and happy new year:drunk-emoji:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
Just now, pinball wizard said:

And no doubt he's replaced them with that niche title Reader's Wedges....

Always one ... ain’t there