Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Closing in on Christmas

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!

Remind me Gents when was last time/winter we have seen charts like this with some sort of level of consistency in FI or perhaps fair to say coming into the medium term ....?? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!
2 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

And to my surprise ECM 12z op isn't an outlier at all its well within the spread!! Could this be happening?...

Screenshot_20201218-195241_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yes the mean is sharper with the amplification and edging closer to N than W with the flow. I’ll report on the indv members soon, it’ll be interesting to see how many evolve like the op at day 9/10. Not too many, given the spreads. But evidently many of them go cold and stay cold.

Latter stages of the GEFS show no let up in the inverted climatology pressure pattern.

image.thumb.png.057944e424b8ae365f4cecb609c501c4.png

Ural blocking, high to the NW and the jet into the Med. GEPS is broadly similar but not as strong anomalies. 
Looks like an April chart

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 hour ago, Weathizard said:

Just the small differences at 168 ?‍♂️

5A273236-2A3A-4866-BE97-708F9F4432E3.png

34514F7B-0ED8-404C-B500-1D06EC17350A.gif

ECM MUCH better

BFTP

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
17 minutes ago, Decemberof2010 said:

Anybody seen p24 on the GEFS our at 384h?

It’s a STONKER

C05B442D-F720-4063-814C-FBF657E91553.png

Yeah I saw that it’s mental 

2CE0175B-5309-44AE-88BE-33FAAA9A9D6F.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM clusters T192-T240, there are 6 of them!

8B30F801-669F-4154-AE1F-288E2C68A2C4.thumb.png.06cf57486880bff391938249b32ad112.png

But I’d take all but the last, least probable one!

A lot of them seem to continue showing some troughing to the South or East of us over mainland Europe. A good number with the Atlantic ridges and also the big ridge towards our North-East over Siberia. Nice to see 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Just catching up with posts, was on a zoom beer session with mates, but managed to sneak a few posts on the ECM anyway!  

I think there is a reason why some tempting model output in the day 10 region goes up in smoke, and that is that it runs out of momentum and proves to be wrong.  This spell has all the hallmarks of something that is now increasingly predicted  by the models, it is gathering momentum, and while we don’t know yet how it will affect our small country, it is sure as hell going to be fun finding out!  

Just a point of note, the GFS 12z has absolutely marmalized the strat vortex, and it is a split not a displacement:

B297BFE6-AB95-41BF-B9B8-2538FEBBEC08.thumb.png.56c78754b8a7c068d6811521ebf18f56.png

I’m unsure of what that means for the longer term as i have explained earlier, but one thing is for sure, this and the trop developments are part of the same package, so whether the split enhances or reduces cold potential later, it is what it is, this is 2020-21 winter, right now.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Just out of interest i noticed the chances of a colder turn just before Christmas on the combined  ens temp graph and mean charts this time last week.

1158188303_ensemble-tt6-london(1).thumb.gif.a56b0d718ceeb267b6bc5d3fb4caf4ee.gif

and they have been pretty steady since.Day by day extending the below average trend.This from today's 00z runs

666449110_ensemble-tt6-london(5).thumb.gif.eaca7950773c7912f6ab008e7d5acc23.gif

For anyone new to our hobby these give a quick at-glance guide to what to expect at the surface and illustrates any outlier operational runs.

link

WWW.WEATHERCAST.CO.UK

Ensemble forecasts identify the expected spread of weather conditions and assess the probability of particular events

On that page you can also see rainfall and wind graphs too along with an explanation of how to read them,for anyone not familiar with these.

A useful quick reference guide i think.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

With all the excitement of cold weather coming as shown some way off still on the day 10 charts, there is a little matter of whats to happen in the shorter term. The ECM chart below at 120 t shows a deep low  crossing the heart of the British Isles which would produce a lot of rain and possible snow to the mountains. There is a difference at this stage between ECM and that shown by GFS and UKMO  with the track and positioning of the low.. However, all models show a clearance by Christmas Eve into Christmas Day ,

C

overview_20201218_12_120.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Just catching up with posts, was on a zoom beer session with mates, but managed to sneak a few posts on the ECM anyway!  

I think there is a reason why some tempting model output in the day 10 region goes up in smoke, and that is that it runs out of momentum and proves to be wrong.  This spell has all the hallmarks of something that is now increasingly predicted  by the models, it is gathering momentum, and while we don’t know yet how it will affect our small country, it is sure as hell going to be fun finding out!  

Just a point of note, the GFS 12z has absolutely marmalized the strat vortex, and it is a split not a displacement:

B297BFE6-AB95-41BF-B9B8-2538FEBBEC08.thumb.png.56c78754b8a7c068d6811521ebf18f56.png

I’m unsure of what that means for the longer term as i have explained earlier, but one thing is for sure, this and the trop developments are part of the same package, so whether the split enhances or reduces cold potential later, it is what it is, this is 2020-21 winter, right now.  

Still too early to work out tur pieces but i love the look at where that warmth is on the strat chart. Straight through the middle of Greenland and Scandinavia. It leaves less chance of us evolving west based nao which brings with it chance of moisture from southerh tracking lows into february

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Better things are on their way: image.thumb.png.4728a43d12d051814cd1d4bd

Sure beats the last few years: image.thumb.png.443cb4dc9c7a67371377fb7b011932b0.png   If it happens!:santa-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

ECM end day 6/8/10
image.thumb.gif.13d793d5c96da9aa0ddacc1d60ae085b.gif

image.thumb.gif.10964c33053f7b165ae56efeb3f39fb2.gif

image.thumb.gif.d2e0ca338d31068880bbbc33e427a275.gif

Neatly shows the progress beyond Christmas Day. So we are likely to see a deep low run over the top of the Atlantic ridge before the trough east/ridge west of the U.K. is restored. No point getting too hung up yet but the general consensus after the next few days is for temperatures to fall a little below normal and this may be enough for some wintry precipitation at times.   

As for the big day, the GFS looks the fastest at being cloud and rain off the Atlantic with temperatures around average. The ECM however looks fine, crisp and sunny for many.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

BLAST FROM THE PAST  12,241

Posted Tuesday at 22:51

Is this close enough for a B F T E?

now that’s what I’m after....love the whole run so far.  Trough to East plunging N/S then Easterly with trough to SE.....just wait for an attack now from NW/SE LP towards New Year....this must happen surely...

BFTP

image.thumb.png.6ab648667c53f851d9e0735bbbea3a78.png

main point of this post is look at date of chart projection of GFS run last Tuesday....it’s for 27th.  Now look at this from tonights ECM for 28th

image.png.d40060239b5bc3f1d160e6f16d1fdd46.png

No push backs of any note here

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 7