Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Closing in on Christmas

Paul

Posted

The ECM  is very good at the end but a little frustrating earlier on.

The ECM develops a good cold pool over mainland Europe and with a shallower feature dropping s/se that could have pulled that into the UK to meet the frontal band .

That apart its day ten chart is far better than this mornings run with low pressure set up in a way to the south to eventually feed some of that deeper cold westwards .

If offered I would grab the day ten chart and pass out with excitement ! 

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 9

Posted

Apples for apples part #2...

17-ECH1-240.thumb.png.d4aec8e8f5d6217192b1c5d3012d8850.pngECH1-216.thumb.png.bc495e00c2a56ad67af416e2454cd668.png

Upgrade city.

Not that it will actually come off exactly like the ECM of course but I think a bit of cold rain on D9 (heavy snow in favoured areas though) would be acceptable for what was to follow as a Continental feed was introduced and it started turning to snow in most places. We can but dream

All roads still leading to cold...

Edited by s4lancia
  • Like 9

Posted

Chances of a white Christmas due to frost continue to firm up

Screenshot_20201218-185926.thumb.png.3fcb1bdd79058e30c5ac3d5c46d7534f.png

If anything falls out of the sky, it'll be white for most - unlikely given the pressure profile, but not unknown.

Still time for further corrections for Christmas Day - to be honest, corrections are likely to push the pattern even further east (and less cold for Christmas Day), but if that happens then the chance of a big northerly two days later increases.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow
7 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

It's always a good sign when all routes appear to be leading to cold.

Spot on! You know there’s a great chance when all roads point to Rome! As they say! Great model watching 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, iowpompeylee said:

Spot on! You know there’s a great chance when all roads point to Rome! As they say! Great model watching 

Oh yes, this little chesnut. I assume we are all convert Italians at this point then? Probably the 100th time this has been posted since the end of last month. 99.9% of the population have had ZERO falling (let alone accumulating snow) with the odd frost, in between a lot of mild and wet  this month. All roads point to Rome, if we get there. Practically guaranteed that all of our roads will suddenly find themselves closed if even one minor issue appears, but let's hope not.

A rightly grounded atmosphere in here this evening, for whatever reason we just CANNOT get charts into even a semi reliable timeframe. It feels like we have been watching exciting things happen at Day 9/10 for about 6 weeks now. It's almost like we get the carrot at Day 10, then a new signal is picked up and filtered down by Day 8. 

With that being said, I'd have increased confidence in some sort of Cold spell over the Christmas period rather than we the previous month we just had to endure. Starting to look a little bit toasty in the Strat and it appears we will probably get a couple of chances of topplers - at least. Just remember though, we need 1000 things to go perfectly without issue in our favour, even 1 out of that number goes against us and it's game.

Let's be realistic though, we all talk about the Strat/trop disconnect and it affecting us. The only disconnect I've seen so far this season, is all of these background drivers, the models and the dross we have endured at the surface. 

Something more exciting is potentially on the horizon. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!
8 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Just a quick one from me now that ive had time to adjust my boxer shorts.... 

GFS has ALWAYS been better than ECM with modelling Greenland heights. In fact its the only thing its better than ECM at.

Either way all paths lead to gold.....

You did say that might be the next stop for the UK high Scott, do you think the big EA mountain torque event is driving this allied with the vortex trending weaker?

Looking at the output it seems like the Arctic high has a role too, it seems to ensure the low to the NW has to go South / SE

image.thumb.png.0e6a9b934e9c4d6aa19349fc4a627db2.png
The lack of a strong PV over Greenland then allows heights to fill the gap to the North leading to a cold lock in for NW Europe.

It actually makes sense with the background signals! 
It’s actually been signposted by medium/long range modelling for weeks!

Now all we need is for it to actually happen!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer

Just had a quick glance at some day 10 GEFS. 
p20 says order your shovels. I think the uk is under there anyway

7B0B0408-55F9-416B-B579-BEC33610FE26.png

6A85962E-0321-4E96-A324-30F2D8CA9842.png

45800C87-3D14-4E07-A187-21D929943C70.jpeg

Edited by Decemberof2010
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (Continental)
10 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

You’re number 5 to the block list...goodbye. 

You are a tolerant sort - I am on page 25 of blocked 'members' ...

speaking of which, can anyone (ideally Mr M himself) confirm if the following shows a couple of Christmas chipolatas whose link might unravel to form a 'Murr Sausage'? (I like to think I have learnt something over the years, but sometimes doubt it...)

image.png.a2d438399489ea9269a5455cb15f3ecc.png

• Like 3

Posted

Question on uppers? Do we think that because  what is currently modelled is originally from a colder and drier source why up north instead of our more traditional north westerly blasts that we might have more room to play with on the uppers.. bit like when we get a south easterly draw and uppers of -2 roughly gave the south east a decent snow event January 2013

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Devonshire said:

You are a tolerant sort - I am on page 25 of blocked 'members' ...

speaking of which, can anyone (ideally Mr M himself) confirm if the following shows a couple of Christmas chipolatas whose link might unravel to form a 'Murr Sausage'? (I like to think I have learnt something over the years, but sometimes doubt it...)

image.png.a2d438399489ea9269a5455cb15f3ecc.png

Probably a mini sausage !

Looking at the evolution between day 9 and 10 . There’s a pivot motion to the troughing , so day 11 should see the eastern portion pivot nw and high pressure build ne towards Scandinavia . This should funnel a strong ene flow westwards into the UK.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
15 minutes ago, Zak M said:

12z ECM @240...

000.thumb.gif.fee2490f24416aae335f114206b82f8c.gif   001.thumb.gif.a430d3696c45f0a0ee77daa31dd44b49.gif

It's happening lads... I've even changed my profile picture

I’m with ya Zak, net weather member lampposts at the ready guys

image.thumb.gif.9b17f0d2df8dbc9ce8015f3350a21083.gif

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Looking at the evolution between day 9 and 10 . There’s a pivot motion to the troughing , so day 11 should see the eastern portion pivot nw and high pressure build ne towards Scandinavia . This should funnel a strong ene flow westwards into the UK.

Naughty! stop it nick  now I’m thinking streamers...... as my name Thames Streamer North West Kent last spotted March 2018...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
27 minutes ago, Zak M said:

12z ECM @240...

000.thumb.gif.fee2490f24416aae335f114206b82f8c.gif   001.thumb.gif.a430d3696c45f0a0ee77daa31dd44b49.gif

It's happening lads... I've even changed my profile picture

Reminds me  a bit of this chart from late dec 78

NOAA_1_1978123106_1.png

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Naughty! stop it nick  now I’m thinking streamers...... as my name Thames Streamer North West Kent last spotted March 2018...

The cold pool over Scandinavia is what we really need to get west . So that needs a high pressure to the north ne to help drive that .

Look out for the De Bilt ensembles to see whether they’re interested in that as that would be a step on the way towards the UK .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

This evening's models per ECM and GFS

The GFS is actually quite great and especially for getting that cold pool into Europe and throw the polar vortex because why not

ECM however seems a bit more "back to earth" though by no means it could be wrong and further side with the GFS though it does get colder in about 10 days time 

Before even processing to go into the longer term regarding the potential that hangs in the distance we have to get the short term sorted first as GFS and UKMO Vs ECM seems likely on the cards 

I know where my bets are at...

Edited by Skullzrulerz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!

I was excited by the GFS earlier, the ECM even more so, in that aligns...but I’m a bit nervous we seem to be pushing out into FI each day, the tantalisingly close but not close enough doesn’t seem to end...  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
10 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

A chipolata? A pig in an electric blanket? Note to self: Don't be tempted by the hyperbolic steroids!:drunk-emoji:

Are we on the cusp of something special?:santa-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Members have been awakened by this evenings charts.Set Alarm clocks  ban short waves.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

image.thumb.gif.8dd8e225fd357578af5fc3b98fb9f7a8.gif

My Blast/Beast from the East still there during Christmas week .   It’s a beautiful chart with very derp cold moving SW towards us.  Indeed we will have been under cold air for 4 + days by then so it will be very cold.

image.thumb.gif.999c706a774bf473a0ef9d8567bba0f8.gif

This set up on 23rd doesn’t lead to my Christmas Day anticipation but the attack from the NW and plunging N/S LP comes in shortly after bringing my beast.

I like the ECM more than GFS as it looks cleaner.  Incidentally I believe this 12z develops what RJS posted earlier today....worth having a read of it

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 4