Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Closing in on Christmas

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Interestingly despite it being a very wintry op run. The op is not the coldest run in the ensemble grouping.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Op was a mild outlier for Xmas (see list for London) a very cold set of ensembles long term!

Chilly not very cold...if we get to that point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Interestingly despite it being a very wintry op run. The op is not the coldest run in the ensemble grouping.

It doesn't look particularly wintry to my eyes? Scotland and NI high ground, very much so. Elsewhere, nope.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Chilly not very cold...if we get to that point.

Most people would have given their right arm for ensembles like that for Christmas week these past few years! Average Dew point temp in London at midday on 30th is just 0.5. That’s very close to snow territory...in the south!

I know a lot can go wrong but we certainly have a fist full of tickets for the snowy lottery !! Watch the ECM show a toppler and I’ll be launching my toys in and hour

85CEB106-6B7F-40D0-9A25-D210569DE31D.jpeg

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Wow who peed on your chips today?

That really hurts...I like my chips 'crisp ent light brown' (to coin a Dad's Army quote). It's me being an eternal veteran to the failings of GFS FI, one I suppose will eventually verify.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Most people would have given their right arm for ensembles like that for Christmas week these past few years! I know a lot can go wrong but we certainly have a fist full of tickets for the snowy lottery !! Watch the ECM show a toppler and I’ll be launching my toys in and hour

This is an impressive mean at D15

image.thumb.png.2eb2f2cfb072d267a2981cf5bccb73a5.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM T144, highlighting an area of large uncertainty:

919FF0F8-77F9-4708-8FFA-386B92908D46.thumb.jpeg.442b4c717259bd80a7e6eba6b220bcb9.jpeg

GFS and UKMO for comparison:

29636318-011C-4A2F-9D8B-957248A147F5.thumb.png.9069b14333542fad15b8d8b071e7ebb2.png3B65D83D-4135-4CFA-9D22-A09D727B3A18.thumb.gif.818bd47d3fac2370fc1947fb3f4dfde4.gif

ECM seems looser, more amplified, in that area than GFS, but UKMO more amplified still.  Of course, we don’t know what happens post T144 on UKMO.  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
7 minutes ago, Catacol said:

It’s going to be tricky to plot a path for a wave breaking high - strat forecasts today would encourage me to go for a Greenland rather than Scandinavian ridge - but if this is the end product come the 29th I won’t be unhappy at all. Ultimately for me it’s an all in thing - a bit of frost and marginal conditions and a 2cm dusting is good but not the pot of gold. It will always be the true pot of gold = -10 uppers off the continent, Atlantic undercut or possibly -10 uppers from a sharp trough as per Dec 2010....and in the modern climate I really think we need substantial vortex disruption to achieve it. Back in the 80s and beyond conditions could develop without this vortex-melting context - but not anymore.

This chart would signal more wave 2 forcing acting upon an already distressed vortex. Embed that Ural High for a while and we could see a genuine split SSW approx 2 weeks after this kind of pattern. Shred the vortex by mid January, and then wait for the fall out at the end of the month - the sweetest spot for seasonal frigid patterns. I still think as I have from the off that any SSW will probably come a bit later - final third of January....and then we can scan the horizon for another Beast.

In the end everything at the moment is good. Get this mobile week out the way and then the horizon will be extremely interesting. We’ve missed a couple of early season chances for cold, but this is a season that appears to be set fair for interest throughout. What is absent at the moment is any signal for sustained zonality. If the SSW doesn’t come to pass then February may yet produce it - but for now lots to keep weather watchers and cold hunters engaged. 

Great post and interesting read. The great winters of the past, was there an ssw event prior for the majority or is this not known? I agree with your point about needing them to get something special in today’s world, as sad as that is. I also understand it’s not a given that cold for us always follows but increases the chances. TIA. Happy for anyone else to answer also. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

On to the ensemble spaghetti for the GFS 12z. Looks pretty cold

image.thumb.png.487467f209c08dba758f3acb7bc80766.png

Edited by Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Lets hope, that Canada doesn't gain anymore cold air

spacer.png   Yesterdays 12z--->spacer.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Have to say so far ec looks akin to the gfs 12z on the nhp? Early days and all subject to change in the morning 

• Like 1

Posted

T192 at -6c uppers into central England. Pretty potent and I imagine -6c uppers will cover the whole of the U.K. by T216 (Xmas day) , which would mean any showers would be on the wintery side at-least. Short lived cold snap on this run though.

11045E33-5833-4A4F-ACA8-7C7A5502F2CD.png

DA963529-B6CE-4030-A35C-006AB3F94A7E.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted

Just a view of how to try and link synoptic charts to the 500 mb anomaly charts for a, pssibly' more balanced view of what the models are trying to show?

charts for wed dec 16 2020 anomaly and synoptic.doc

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

This ECM run is looking pretty good to my eyes - except if you live in the west!

ECM1-216.thumb.gif.a3e82fa3d407248906264bcb8a890fd8.gif   ECM0-216.thumb.gif.6454ea7ac10b598417ebc8323b98109e.gif

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

-5/6c 850s for everyone on Xmas day, not great but also not lashing down with rain and wind - semi festive if not white!! 

789DCEC5-F4C3-4FB6-9DFE-9F9B56F75B66.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Small margins keeping that low pressure/PV up the west coast of greenland. 6z better ridging on ec in Atlantic. No disaster just a point