Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder spell ending, what's to follow?

Paul

Posted

I understand the frustration. A truly horrid year (for obvious reasons) combined with practically 10 years of winter free nothingness for the UK. I get it. However, I'm going to say what we were free to say many years ago.......... Man up! (now considered a sexist comment lol), get back up and grow some gonads. This is a decent mean chart for late December . 

gensnh-31-1-264.png

• Like 6

Posted

Good words of advice, take a break from model watching, looking at every run is exhausting..and always leads to frustration, more so in the winter and summer if looking for a freeze/snow fest, or days of heatwave conditions. 

Always expect the unexpected..

Sometimes I too wish we didn't have access to all the models we have now, and wish for those days when watching 5 day Sunday and mid week 5 day forecasts is all we had. Ignorance is bliss! We've lost it today..

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
13 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

I understand the frustration. A truly horrid year (for obvious reasons) combined with practically 10 years of winter free nothingness for the UK. I get it. However, I'm going to say what we were free to say many years ago.......... Man up! (now considered a sexist comment lol), get back up and grow some gonads. This is a decent mean chart for late December . 

gensnh-31-1-264.png

That is a pretty reasonable chart that. Likely favouring Polar Maritime air more than Tropical Maritime, and the purples of the Vortex on the opposite side of the Northern Hemisphere

Edit: @damianslaw Indeed, I miss that too

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
15 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

gensnh-31-1-264.png

Even at 336 hrs there is a decent ridge into Greenland.

gensnh-31-1-336.thumb.png.8d49bc8c91b55133ca9c9bfaa5da4ab4.png

• Like 3

Posted

Some posters must have been on the wacky juice tonight. 

For a start cold weather with blizzards and towering snowdrifts! have never been common in December, since the keeping of records. 

It's always been mainly in January and February  only especially in Southern  UK when you have the greater chance of severe weather, and in recent years this has extended into March.

Glosea forecasting a mild winter, what's so special about predicting that,   most Winters are mild in the UK, the skill of a seasonal model would be in predicting when a cold outbreak might occur in a mild winter. 

Some of the coldest spells of weather in the UK have been in winter seasons that were milder than average. 

I'm sure SM will be posting frequently again  if we see some bitter outbreak being shown on the models again, like a few days ago. 

So see you soon, Steve! 

• Like 5

Posted

Maybe something like this from P10 is best we could get out from Xmas, I don’t think particularly outlandish we’ll be looking to the north for cold air clearly. 

B5F7C29F-EEFB-4BF9-99A5-0F6FC0A25746.thumb.png.c850f78f8e08e728713d64f4f0f4e59c.pngB9272DBA-AE54-4025-8167-BB9C33BF827C.thumb.png.e50b64dcb7c1782e7bbe0335789baf30.png

Posted
Just now, SLEETY said:

Some posters must have been on the wacky juice tonight. 

For a start cold weather with blizzards and towering snowdrifts! have never been common in December, since the keeping of records. 

It's always been mainly in January and February  only especially in Southern  UK when you have the greater chance of severe weather, and in recent years this has extended into March.

Glosea forecasting a mild winter, what's so special about predicting that,   most Winters are mild in the UK, the skill of a seasonal model would be in predicting when a cold outbreak might occur in a mild winter. 

Some of the coldest spells of weather in the UK have been in winter seasons that were milder than average. 

I'm sure SM will be posting frequently again  if we see some bitter outbreak being shown on the models again, like a few days ago. 

So see you soon, Steve! 

Last word until next weekend, I never expect anything notably cold wise until late December at earliest, right now is when we see westerlies at their maxim and is the least likely time for colder than average conditions to sustain themselves. The last 9 years have delivered mild wet run ins to Christmas, not a jot of cold weather. March is far more likely to return colder snowier conditions nowadays..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

GEFS are starting to look quite interesting later on, many giving it a good go at getting a ridge up around Xmas time with a return of that PNA ridge too, still plenty of interest not all is lost.

Edited by Snowman.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Last word until next weekend, I never expect anything notably cold wise until late December at earliest, right now is when we see westerlies at their maxim and is the least likely time for colder than average conditions to sustain themselves. The last 9 years have delivered mild wet run ins to Christmas, not a jot of cold weather. March is far more likely to return colder snowier conditions nowadays..

keep the faith. 

Edited by blizzard81
  • Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Quite right Damian

i don't want to derail the thread but just a reply from me

many of the great snowy winters occurred after Dec and into Jan/feb

lets not forget this peeps,if it snows on the big day,so be it,it would be a bonus and it would be nice to see 

but i would just like to say that if we don't get snow on the big day i wouldn't be bothered if we get pummeled the month after and the month after that, seems more feasible.

we get more snow in the latter winter months than Dec,fact.

Edited by Allseasons-si
typo
  • Like 3

Posted

Always a Dec 2004 christmas surprise can spring up out of a predominantly Atlantic set up. Indeed high chance, and with that I stay positive and will catch up next weekend!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Nothing particularly cold likely in the next 10 days. I think that ship sailed a little while ago to be fair.

We have a very non-standard hemispheric set up though, and all this negativity from so many members won’t dampen my interest as we head through December, particularly the last week of the month into January.

A3B1754D-0EA8-4019-9DB0-1CDF9DB2E744.thumb.png.0caa40f568d364cd9b3f17a884fece4a.png

It could always be worse, look at this chart from 58 years ago a week before Xmas. Surely no good would come of that...

7F44D3AA-6B5F-4ADF-87F1-9F483A149F40.thumb.png.27c7e90e9f16a9d8542112934b314a1b.png

• Like 9

Posted

Looking out over the Christmas week in the gefs ens there is quite a few northerlies,so not a done deal yet.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
4 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

Nothing particularly cold likely in the next 10 days. I think that ship sailed a little while ago to be fair.

We have a very non-standard hemispheric set up though, and all this negativity from so many members won’t dampen my interest as we head through December, particularly the last week of the month into January.

A3B1754D-0EA8-4019-9DB0-1CDF9DB2E744.thumb.png.0caa40f568d364cd9b3f17a884fece4a.png

It could always be worse, look at this chart from 58 years ago a week before Xmas. Surely no good would come of that...

7F44D3AA-6B5F-4ADF-87F1-9F483A149F40.thumb.png.27c7e90e9f16a9d8542112934b314a1b.png

To think that produced one of the most severest Winters in the UK of the 20th Century! A bitter day for Christmas it sure seemed to transition to. High heights in the Atlantic poking Northwards up to Greenland as well.

3A1F58EE-111A-4DA2-B772-F43BB5BC9198.thumb.png.b609971f07cbadc13f503b30337ff555.png917A15FE-2FA0-40F4-AB19-786D6B5A49EC.thumb.png.e44a300671c5bbaa22d6fc18e7f0ea55.png

Another thing to point out that although it’s a few days earlier, in your first chart posted above, the Vortex currently is more fragmented than even that of 1962 on 17th December. 

Shows really that nothing is certain, and why writing off the whole of Winter wouldn’t be a wise thing to do.

Good to see some great pub run ensembles floating about tonight

• Like 6

Posted

I put it more down to some members firmly believing we are in for a cold December and now the models have flipped to a zonal mild outlook, the optimism has burst but its premature to write off winter because the outlook is poor for cold. 

I think the thing to look out for will be any Atlantic ridge which may link up to any heights up north. On a northern hemisphere point of view, we have seen much much worse so I would not rule out cold potential for December just yet but the signs are cold weather is a bit way off at the moment. Hopefully the Arctic high can somehow influence our weather eventually. 

• Like 4

Posted

Relax everyone, the gem has got it sorted in fi, demolishing the euro heights and out to our north and west the Atlantic is gaining that much sort after amplification... 

Like my Grolsch beer, you can't rush these things... 

PS I'm leaving and never coming back because weather charts that haven't happened aren't doing what I want them to do in a future that will never turn out like this... 

So see you all later, yeah? 

gemnh-0-240 (2).png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Morning. Gfs oz control in fi should brighten the mood

Very festive and ties in with what crewe, chino catacol mention

Edited by swfc
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

ECM day 10 chart again shows the potential for Xmas salvation though dubious whether any proceeding pattern would draw in cold air by the big day and, well it is a day 10 chart.

ECH1-240.GIF?12-12

But where there's hope...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
9 minutes ago, Mucka said:

ECM day 10 chart again shows the potential for Xmas salvation though dubious whether any proceeding pattern would draw in cold air by the big day and, well it is a day 10 chart.

ECH1-240.GIF?12-12

But where there's hope...

Yes mucka it's looking OK to west. Those insipid Heighths to the sse are a pain again

• Like 1