Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder spell ending, what's to follow?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
9 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Some cold hope within the cfs but i dont think these will verify. 

nly.png

cfs-2-354.png

cfs-2-414.png

Not cold enough. Might be cold enough for sleet though?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

it’s not ten years since we had a brilliant snowy winter though ??  And dec ‘10 was a once in a hundred years month .....that’s more than persistent cold ! 

Yeh I get your point blue.. And yes that was exceptional... Those fab days of the early 80s freezes seem like an eternity though.. Every year back then come as know suprise when we had snow or cold snaps.. Back then the forecasters would just say... We have High Pressure building over Scandy....imcoming Estly... Possible undercuts from the Atlantic fronts.... Boom.. Jobs a good un... Now we have so much technical advances online it seems to have to be a work of art just to get a cold snap in. Most likely due to the fact that cold pools are decreasing. I'm not without hope just yet though... I ain't heard know fat lady sing just yet... But I can hear her clearing her throat in the rehearsal rooms..

• Like 4

Posted
28 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

So it has all gone up in smoke then!  The invisible block is no more. This is more devastating this year than many for so many reasons, first +4C the go to average temperature for UK rubbish winter weather is the optimum for Covid-19, but more importantly if ever we needed something to take our minds off the apocalypse that will not end for months it is now, and endless wind and rain is absolutely not what was required.  The GloSea5 update the final kick in the teeth, if that can’t see a SSW, there won’t be one.  

The one thing I have learnt over the years on here is not to take anybody's word as gospel. And I mean anybody. That goes for whether they go for cold or mild. Don't get me wrong. I listen and take into account what everyone has to say and of course, like most members I value some people's views more than others. Ultimately though, I weigh everything up myself, taking on board a whole series of opinions and then come to my own conclusion. With this in mind, my thoughts with regards to the Christmas weather is as follows....... It is still way too early to forecast. I like to remind people at this time of year about what happened back in 2005. The meto (along with their bbc forecasts) constantly forecast a mild and wet Christmas right up to 6 to 7 days beforehand. What actually transpired? Quite a potent easterly. 

Edited by blizzard81
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
15 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Thats the problem chino...

The pot of gold overwhelmingly  turns into a crock of crap.

If I had a pound for the number of times the extended eps looked fabulous until you count down and the cold signal is diluted to nothing id be a rich boy !!

Even someone like myself with a mere fraction of the knowledge of others on here could see the writing on the wall for Dec a week or more since...

On reflection I totally understand peeps looking for avenues to cold ,truth is they are,95% of the time in a warmingworld,a mirage...

I think you've coined the new Winter forum title there NWS  

Edited by Day 10

Posted
3 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

I think you've coined the new Winter forum title there NWS  

Well we have to keep a sense of humour mate ...

Let's hope for a swing in fortunes over the coming days ..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
7 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

The one thing I have learnt over the years on here is not to take anybody's word as gospel. And I mean anybody. That goes for whether they go for cold or mild. Don't get me wrong. I listen and take into account what everyone has to say and of course, like most members I value some people's views more than others. Ultimately though, I weigh everything up myself, taking on board a whole series of opinions and then come to my own conclusion. With this in mind, my thoughts with regards to the Christmas weather is as follows....... It is still way too early to forecast. I like to remind people at this time of year about what happened back in 2005. The meto (along with their bbc forecasts) constantly forecast a mild and wet Christmas right up to 6 to 7 days beforehand. What actually transpired? Quite a potent easterly. 

100% agree with this statement... We have some exceptional knowledgeable posters on here and it makes for a great read. But the weather makes mugs of the best pros out there. I was kind of hoping that I would never see the day where we would have to end up praying for major SSW events just to deliver a cold snap.. But alas those days seem to have arrived.. I had a nightmare last night... Its the end of January... Still no cold snap... When all of a sudden we Start to get the first posts of...... Never mind, at least we will have some spring warmth to look forward to soon.. What a nightmare that was.. 

I'm not gonna derail the thread any longer with off topic posts.. Sorry Mods.. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
6 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

The models have improved a lot in 15 years.

I joined in 2009, so I wouldn't have been looking at the other models, and I wonder what netweather was forecasting?

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The extended eps mean has never looked fabulous ....even with the low euro anomolys, there wasn’t any cold around to get decent snowfall out of the pattern - we did well to get what we did last week!  The e euro ridge has persisted and prevented any low uppers getting into Europe  

The E Europe high in tandem with the strong W Russian block is a recipe for rain for long suffering uk coldies...

As you are aware no doubt..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
29 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Yes Matt, and @chionomaniac, I am on the verge of calling time on this winter, and this is very unusual for me.  I would like to explain why.  

It is the Met Office and their model, GloSea5.  If it predicts mild with certainty it has never been wrong, as far as i can see (going to back to since it was GloSea4).  Last year it was right, and the reason was Indian Ocean Dipole.  I had never even heard of it and it delivered and then some.  The only time GloSea5 has been totally wrong has been, yes you’ve guessed it, when it has forecast cold.  I think it was 2016/17 winter, all looking good and then winter over by about 7 Dec if I recall correctly, wasn’t posting at the time much, @CreweCold will remember, as he was quite vociferous about it.  

I’m concerned about our hobby.  If UK winter can be predicted like this, what is the point?  It removes the rush when something unexpected happens.  Analogy to gambling.  I like gambling, it gives me a rush.  Around year 2000 i had inside info into certain pub fruit machines and could make a regular profit, and guess what it wasn’t much fun, if you know you are going to win or lose it takes away the experience.  

I think that is half way to where we are with winter now, unfortunately, we now know if we haven’t got a cat in hells chance of a cold winter half the years, but we don’t know, in the other years, if we’ve got a chance, maybe, maybe not.  I’m sure GloSea7 will be soon able to close off that element of our uncertainty and fun and novelty of proper wintery weather.  When I was a child, to find it had snowed overnight and flakes still falling in the morning, it was magical.  Now, it hardly ever happens, and in the future GloSea7 will tell you which day of which month you might next expect that unlikely event to happen.  

All the best, Mike

Agree with that. I seem to recall it didn't predict the deluge of 2013-14 though. It didn't predict cold that year but it was going with milder and drier I seem to recall - and we all know what happened that year. Rain like we've hardly ever seen before. You're right, though, GLOSEA is a pretty reliable model and, although it could be wrong, we'd be foolish to dismiss it

• Like 1

Posted

I agree with Mike Poole, it has become so frustrating with the thrill of seeing the knowledgeable posters coming out of the woodwork these last few weeks as things looked so encouraging for a decent chance of a cold spell. And in a matter of 48 hours it’s near enough vanished a so often the case the last decade. So many people on here love the spirit of the forum when the pot of gold lands and it’s such a shame it seems near enough impossible these years. Global warming? Bad luck? Surely it’s option B if other parts of the globe can still experience harsh winters? 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, WINTRY WALES said:

I agree with Mike Poole, it has become so frustrating with the thrill of seeing the knowledgeable posters coming out of the woodwork these last few weeks as things looked so encouraging for a decent chance of a cold spell. And in a matter of 48 hours it’s near enough vanished a so often the case the last decade. So many people on here love the spirit of the forum when the pot of gold lands and it’s such a shame it seems near enough impossible these years. Global warming? Bad luck? Surely it’s option B if other parts of the globe can still experience harsh winters? 

Does the weather 'do' bad luck? I doubt it. There is a proper scientific reason for pretty much everything and I'm not sure luck plays a part at all. If we do think in those terms, though, then there still has to be a reason for the bad 'luck'. It doesn't just happen. 

Anyway, off-topic, sorry mods

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, WINTRY WALES said:

I suspect it's a bit of both. It's not just the UK,  Western Europe all seem to miss out. We must be in a cycle of milder Winters, as pre 87 cold spells in Winter were more common. I would love to know what the polar vortex did in years gone by, because to me, having it set up shop over Greenland is a sure fire why to scupper cold spells.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
6 minutes ago, WINTRY WALES said:

To respond, I think it is due to global warming unfortunately, things in the NH have changed so much in the last 20 years, but here is not the place to discuss them.  Regards other parts of the world, they don’t have the Atlantic on the doorstep and in the path of the prevailing winds.

• Like 4

Posted
41 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Yes Matt, and @chionomaniac, I am on the verge of calling time on this winter, and this is very unusual for me.  I would like to explain why.  

It is the Met Office and their model, GloSea5.  If it predicts mild with certainty it has never been wrong, as far as i can see (going to back to since it was GloSea4).  Last year it was right, and the reason was Indian Ocean Dipole.  I had never even heard of it and it delivered and then some.  The only time GloSea5 has been totally wrong has been, yes you’ve guessed it, when it has forecast cold.  I think it was 2016/17 winter, all looking good and then winter over by about 7 Dec if I recall correctly, wasn’t posting at the time much, @CreweCold will remember, as he was quite vociferous about it.  

I’m concerned about our hobby.  If UK winter can be predicted like this, what is the point?  It removes the rush when something unexpected happens.  Analogy to gambling.  I like gambling, it gives me a rush.  Around year 2000 i had inside info into certain pub fruit machines and could make a regular profit, and guess what it wasn’t much fun, if you know you are going to win or lose it takes away the experience.  

I think that is half way to where we are with winter now, unfortunately, we now know if we haven’t got a cat in hells chance of a cold winter half the years, but we don’t know, in the other years, if we’ve got a chance, maybe, maybe not.  I’m sure GloSea7 will be soon able to close off that element of our uncertainty and fun and novelty of proper wintery weather.  When I was a child, to find it had snowed overnight and flakes still falling in the morning, it was magical.  Now, it hardly ever happens, and in the future GloSea7 will tell you which day of which month you might next expect that unlikely event to happen.  

All the best, Mike

Pretty much were im at Mike...

Although I'm not giving up on this winter despite what Glosea suggests...

Let's see where we are this time next week, a colder Christmas is still possible,moreover for Northern areas with altitude...

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

To respond, I think it is due to global warming unfortunately, things in the NH have changed so much in the last 20 years, but here is not the place to discuss them.  Regards other parts of the world, they don’t have the Atlantic on the doorstep and in the path of the prevailing winds.

I often look at what the models are showing for the west coast of the US and Canada - it's a pretty similar story there. It ain't just us. 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver was plagued by double-digit maxima

Chart for the pacific NW 96 hours from now:

image.thumb.png.6540ddd369410bdcc3bc9d5f55b444a6.png

Temps in Seattle up into the 50s farenheit by the end of next week although sightly less mild further inland

Edited by LRD
  • Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Yes living here in the uk I’d agree with you....but if you asked people who lived in say Greece or turkey the last few years they would say “what global warming” . Sorry to go off topic just so difficult to explain the difficulty in the uk landing anywhere near the jackpot these days! It seems the only numbers on our dice is a big fat 1 whole other countries can roll out a 6 with ease

Edited by WINTRY WALES

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Couple of things, LP from Atlantic will play it’s part and like 18z the further east the little zippers get imo the better.

2ndly....get ready for a 5-6c January....westerly fest incoming and a 4c December will look like a front loaded winter..

Cold blast for last week of Dec still on imo

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Let's see where we are this time next week, a colder Christmas is still possible,moreover for Northern areas with altitude...

D'you mean Norway?!

Sorry couldn't resist!

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Absolutely right not to give up. Its the 11th today and if we add 14 days that takes us up to the 'big day'. Very unlikely that we see a deep cold spell in that timeframe but that still leaves the last few days of Dec,  Jan & Feb and if we are honest much of the UK rarely see's snow before late Jan / early Feb. Will it happen? probably not but it still could do 

I do think the disappointment is overdone tonight. After all, there never was any cold spell on offer. It was just a mirage that occasionally popped up at day 15 and its bad enough when people get upset over a chase that fails but even more perplexing when nothing was even showing in the output.

Anyway, onto the next lap of the rollercoaster 

• Like 2

Posted

Too much emotion enters this thread in my opinion, it’s rather silly to say things things are over with on December 11th I sense @chionomaniac post appears to be deflating. But concerning the tropospheric polar vortex there’s no sign of normality returning there anytime soon, and the disconnect remains as stratospheric vortex weakens, the Arctic high anomaly isn’t going anywhere fast, the longer it holds the better. Surprises always happen even in 2020 this winter is a tricky one more than most winters, remember all the seasonal models are all going with the North Pacific ridge including GloSea5 and well we have seen none of that so far, a typical La Niña component. Modelling isn’t interested in it either in future. We have to remember what we consider a La Niña pattern is made up of an average, there are always oddities on either sides, models make assumptions on averages. There’s no certainties in long range forecasting only uncertainty.

E3A0E072-79B1-4D69-B49B-F397F15CAE17.thumb.png.89c18b4fe1bbc05f935c3b9bc0372065.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!
12 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I think that is half way to where we are with winter now, unfortunately, we now know if we haven’t got a cat in hells chance of a cold winter half the years, but we don’t know, in the other years, if we’ve got a chance, maybe, maybe not.  I’m sure GloSea7 will be soon able to close off that element of our uncertainty and fun and novelty of proper wintery weather.  When I was a child, to find it had snowed overnight and flakes still falling in the morning, it was magical.  Now, it hardly ever happens, and GloSea7 will tell you which day of which month you might next expect that unlikely event to happen.  

All the best, Mike

I get this Mike and the latest Seasonals are a kick in the teeth and likely to be correct but they absolutely can’t discount a shorter cold spell within the broader westerly pattern. Moreover, Glosea didn’t get the Feb 2018 BFTE event and ensuing blocked early Spring right.... image.thumb.png.7694da45dddbb32c38fba26afb120901.png

**Disclaimer - it has sadly got most things right since, including this summer gone...

However, there is no chance in the next decade that seasonal forecasting will be able to definitively tell you the weather on a particular day. Hell, the ECM can’t get day 9 right most of the time and how often is the 144 UKMO wrong? Seasonal forecasting is powerful in Winter and I imagine very useful for planners, government departments and gas distribution managers but they can’t and won’t be putting the remit of this thread out of business any time soon pal. 

That said the picture for Jan / Feb has been grim on the seasonals since August hence mine and other hope to cash in on the blocked December. All eyes then on that MJO passage later this month, should that fail... there may be dragons ahead

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1