Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder spell ending, what's to follow?

Paul

Posted

Really interesting article from Samuel Hayes, on Netweather, providing explanations for our current situation, and most importantly, giving us hope for how close we could be to upcoming cold .

snow-uk.jpeg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Samuel Hayes explores how Arctic Amplification impacts the UK's winter weather, and how it links into the stratosphere, sea ice, snow cover and more.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
10 minutes ago, MATT☀️ said:

In all honesty mate I love a cold snap and snowy spell as much as anyone.. But I'm under know illusions right now, there are gonna be a good many sour faces come the latter part of the month when this significant cold is still absent... And probably a fair few posters who will go missing. I'm not ruling out cold, but I'm not seeing anything this side of Xmas.. Later on who knows, but we've been down this avenue numerous times... And before you know 3 quarters of the Winter have passed.. I hope I'm proven wrong here, and I wouldn't mind one bit being wrong, but at this stage I feel the chances are small, at least in the next few weeks. 

Yes I think there have been picked up stating that there is basically a date when things will or probably will become wintry? I've seen nothing of any note from the met or any other body suggesting this. That said it may well happen but the general rule of thumb on here was nothing past 144 hrs is reliable. I think a lot of new members hang there coats on these posts as gospel. I've personally zero idea at all, how can I. The nhp looks in a good place ie PV getting stretched ete. After that who knows in all honesty. The gfs, ec do seem to be fluid in there output so maybe that's a good sign. Here's hoping the weather gods give folk a half decent winter 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Bit of an angry looking small storm running South off the main Atlantic Low towards South-Western UK at 144 hours on the 12Z ECMWF

4467800A-3C37-42D1-AF24-8C73323BAA24.thumb.png.bee592f2d8f56331fa65483bf0fec6c9.png

Could lead to some very wild conditions if that came off. Possibly some flooding too. Not my cup of green tea, but interesting for those of you in the South and West who like stormy weather. 

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 8

Posted

To much risidual energy in the west Atlantic for a substantial ridge on this run IMO, I could be wrong but doesn’t look like following the 6z

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.

Looks like an attempt at following the GFS 06z from earlier at t192, don’t think it’ll be successful on this run though.

E148D310-7DCC-4CFB-862A-8DE53A87FCD4.png

• Like 1

Posted

Nice vertical WAA going up but the bowling ball low coming out the eastern seaboard looks strong - 216 will be interesting, one of those occasions where I wish the ECM showed more than just 24hr time jumps 

4268F378-9767-4169-911F-CF4F3FBF7F78.png

Edited by Weathizard
  • Like 4

Posted
40 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

In years to come historians will view these threads as a case book  on the fickle nature that be human behaviour. One good ECM in the next 55 mins and this place will be flipping and popping corks..and for that alone I love it here

If any historian references this thread in 55 years from now, I'll buy you a pint. 

• Like 3

Posted

Now that's more like it. No demon pv lobe spinning of the mother lobe to our north west. Somethings afoot and it ain't 12 inches. 

ECH1-192.gif

• Like 4

Posted

Massive flip on the ec 12z from this morning. Good thing, anything is possible with the current state on the nhp. Probably find out in 10 days

Edited by swfc
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.
6 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Yep much better ending compared to this morning's run. Pressure rising in all the right places (look at Iceland). Pressure lowering in all the right places (look at Iberia). 

ECH1-240 (1).gif

It has been one one of the most exciting Decembers in years at day 10.:drunk-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer

So the GEFS tonight serves up a Christmas special ensemble. 
A group and song I don’t like but hey ho

Look east on 17. 
Will it stay another day?

80858DBC-E851-4881-9FD7-1D1484DAE359.png

15D31BFF-3D19-48E8-BFA3-CA36D0A2E036.png

F0A60D1E-0D67-4546-BF82-AD8413908A2D.png

75A8BFAD-BDB9-4739-B3B1-EA98591F0614.png

4694A21C-CC34-47C8-AF25-5ABC0BFC9C2D.png

44180F6B-19B2-4DD3-AF8D-F7675988C0DA.png

A8D24B34-6C30-47B3-B6DF-45F4100B55D8.png

CA9376AA-59BA-4595-B232-51B7AE08B47E.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Looking at the 12z gefs and lots of interest with a good cluster sending wedge/heights north in the Atlantic sector. The t300:

gens_panel_jkv1.png

I would not make any guess as to how this will work out at this range but certainly the interest remains. Another cluster similar to the op and other routes not so great as well. Further runs may indicate a trend...

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Frosty Winter said:

It has been one one of the most exciting Decembers in years at day 10.:drunk-emoji:

That is quite true actually lol. I just think the ecm will have a much better handle on these unusual synoptics than the other models. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

What chance the models flip wildly in a couple of days when the CME makes a direct hit on earth and throws the PV into all sorts of trouble....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
3 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

What chance the models flip wildly in a couple of days when the CME makes a direct hit on earth and throws the PV into all sorts of trouble....

More chance of the models flipping all over the place, than the weather.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted

With the Russian high finally moving from its current position where it has been for some considerable 

time and the Atlantic finding it’s way through to some degree.What weather pattern change will

occur,perhaps nothing exciting in the very short term but a sudden pressure rise to the north

is very possible as Matt Hugo on Twitter showed.Some good hope for the run up to Christmas 

which we honestly do not see very often.

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Anthony Burden said:

With the Russian high finally moving from its current position where it has been for some considerable 

time and the Atlantic finding it’s way through to some degree.What weather pattern change will

occur,perhaps nothing exciting in the very short term but a sudden pressure rise to the north

is very possible as Matt Hugo on Twitter showed.Some good hope for the run up to Christmas 

which we honestly do not see very often.

Where has it moved??? Its still in Russia unless putin has flited and taken the ussr with him

Edited by swfc
  • Like 1

Posted

Well we'll need a Christmas miracle to save this December. Without it this month will end up extremely warm here in Central Europe. What good is the destroyed TPV when the end result is even worse than last year temperature wise?

image.thumb.png.327e9a06e1d3ef0bb466b2974f3f943c.png image.thumb.png.111775a849ead4f7a7cde1c0a25a42cb.png

Posted
20 minutes ago, Frosty Winter said:

Its also been a rather different and interesting start to December for many, some have already had snow, even to low levels in the south!, some freezing fog and temperatures below average.

Lots of interest in the models going forward, with dare i say it, a chance of a white Christmas.

• Like 4