Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder spell ending, what's to follow?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
3 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Continues the trend to lower heights into Europe. Much much better 

Yes Scott and i should of mentioned that as this mornings EPS was dreadful in that respect.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
13 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Thanks Ed. I appreciate them words! Not bad for someone with Dixlexia haha! I think the condition makes me even more aware of writing for all level of readers 

Hi Scott

I’ve had Last week of December as target for some time using my solar forcing method.  Any run showing  a northerly and diving N/S LP to be on near continent and Ridging to NW in time for Xmas has my backing.

Enjoying your posts and going forward I hope you are right

BFTP

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Remember everyone, 

These models once we get futrther into the future are less accurate it would be more accurate to look at last years. 

No need to get depressed on t-384 charts they can be Polar opposite

There coupd be something happening with Polar ridges but it's too far out so let's wait and see but 

Remember to not overly look into t+384.

Edited by Sheldon Cooper
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Would like to echo this.  I see people talking about MJO Angular Momentum Mountain Torque etc but up until Scott started to explain them in layman's terms I had no more than a vague understanding of what they were.

His recent posts actually explain in simple English how they are linked and how they can affect our Weather.  I actually now think I have a basic understanding of what the more experienced posters are banging on about when discussing teleconnections etc so cheers Scott! 

Im glad that the posts have helped mate. Itd great when you get to that stage of knowledge and have that basic framework in your head. Now that you understand that you can apply that knowledge to individual runs or extended clusters like the one just posted and you can work out what seems the most likely evolution. Not the exact forecast but the most likely to happen

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
26 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

That's an Atlantic low, not a polar low.

You know what I meant I meant coming from the north West

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Now you're talking with that top one, you would get absolutely buried in Kent in the 24 hours after that chart as the low pulls away turning rain to snow!

Seeing as we're in tier3 we can only hope that this does happen as we can't go out for a meal and drinks anywhere so the sledge and the Downs it is, hope this ensembles called it correctly 

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Hi Scott

I’ve had Last week of December as target for some time using my solar forcing method.  Any run showing  a northerly and diving N/S LP to be on near continent and Ridging to NW in time for Xmas has my backing.

Enjoying your posts and going forward I hope you are right

BFTP

I hope we are both right BFTP. Ive never put any thought into solar forcing if you find the time drop me some links/reading material and ill have a look next week when I find the time

Posted

Think we should be a bit careful about calling it a cold spell as it stands temperatures look to become more seasonal I suppose it is normal for the cold to be muted given the range we’re taking about, nonetheless a significant cold spell is unlikely this month. The air could be colder than what we had early this month... which would increase snow risk but currently there’s not much to suggest this colder weather has much bite or longevity to it.

35272553-EAA0-4E54-B868-0F4A03F9CE9A.thumb.png.066341e02ae32ada5051a1f3616c6334.png

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Think we should be a bit careful about calling it a cold spell as it stands temperatures look to become more seasonal I suppose it is normal for the cold to be muted given the range we’re taking about, nonetheless a significant cold spell is unlikely this month. The air could be colder than what we had early this month... which would increase snow risk but currently there’s not much to suggest this colder weather has much bite or longevity to it.

35272553-EAA0-4E54-B868-0F4A03F9CE9A.thumb.png.066341e02ae32ada5051a1f3616c6334.png

Thank you, finally a reality check. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Can't complain about these H500 means from 12z EPS tonight. 

Day 12

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-8940800.thumb.png.ee9d00536c5a5e9f9822159e37e8e96b.png

Day 15

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-9156800.thumb.png.177b9b058c42e38503d96713e901560d.png

Cold for Xmas day?

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-t850_anom_stream-8897600.thumb.png.7bfa2d4d4b8c7e44158a147e71a3d01b.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Further North with altitude will likely be 2 or 3 degrees colder i imagine, so no freeze but hopefully more seasonal..

Posted
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Are these available for locations other than London City Airport ? It’s always a bit warmer in the city

Posted
5 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

No real change since I returned. We have missed one opportunity at gaining a Greenland block, but tropical and strat conditions still leave us in a great position to have more opportunities. If we look stratwards then we see a far weaker vortex than what we would normally expect at this time of year. Without a period of Vortex Intensification in the strat and that influencing the trop, then any amplification in trop wave activity has a far greater chance of puncturing the trop vortex. So heads should still remain up, because this winter still has potential to deliver before the days lengthen .

Summed up perfectly! 

Posted
14 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Further North with altitude will likely be 2 or 3 degrees colder i imagine, so no freeze but hopefully more seasonal..

I think there’s a real chance of some snow in final week of December in northern areas especially but people shouldn’t be expecting ice days or anything substantial imo. I’d take it a bonus. It seems the greatest chance of significant winter is more likely to feature in second half of winter mid Jan onwards. 

and well @Tim Bland the 4 corners of U.K. or anywhere in world Edinburgh for example..

E370ED9C-5857-49A7-8C74-CB8CB58EF26E.thumb.png.b954d7e2ee67998af652471550dddd9d.png

A new trend has emerged in that GFS continues to be quite aggressive with a Siberian warming in FI I know, but the models model the stratosphere better. Potentially wrapping towards the pole? And that could become very interesting I see  Dr. Judah Cohen is watching... more hints of a SSW in January. PV already been or set to become more destabilised so it is intriguing... we’re clearly not following winter 2019-20 in this regard.

427EC86A-BC1F-44C6-BD3D-BA5003AF2643.thumb.png.cf8c7e90eb6ab339a7a78116b083b217.pngE32A1CBA-6659-441D-81B5-AE16AF2CB274.thumb.png.56b91e37028768416524b293adc5bf4c.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Well if the CFSv2 is showing this for Xmas day....

cfsnh-0-294.thumb.png.702e8b3ed7ae151c9a9905cb4ca85ddb.pngcfsnh-2-294.thumb.png.d46a3f188113550f119f4b4835b2793f.png

...then it's on

• Like 8

Posted
25 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Well if the CFSv2 is showing this for Xmas day....

cfsnh-0-294.thumb.png.702e8b3ed7ae151c9a9905cb4ca85ddb.pngcfsnh-2-294.thumb.png.d46a3f188113550f119f4b4835b2793f.png

...then it's on

Doesn't it always! 

Last time I had a chance to glance in here was 13 hours ago and 12 pages since of very interesting and somewhat excitable comments... 

Wowzers the potential!*

*and for absolutely huge disappointment. 

Posted

Just searching afield to see what the pressure is forecasting for Iceland...

graphe4_1000___-16.875_65.25_.thumb.png.7eafc9b8f9c82c6543b3793c99287e2f.png

and you can clearly see a pressure rise there for Xmas week,this bodes well for us

now onto the 18z...

2027184893_tenor(1).thumb.gif.58f4aed5aa2922c19012a5d943f83e15.gif....FOR SOME SNOW

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The ICON slightly more amplified in NE states at 120 thanks to downstream trough into central states

18z 120 v's 12z 126

iconnh-0-120.thumb.png.cbf6ddbf66de57ccd0766a9b5d630107.pngiconnh-0-126.thumb.png.0a8821d6c2006a8ab34c39b8f71f0a05.png

more info,there seems to be uncertainties with Wed nights storm track,so one to watch...

Edited by Allseasons-si
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2