Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder spell ending, what's to follow?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
48 minutes ago, Jason M said:

That's just riding the polar front. It is likely headed NE to give us a splash of cold rain (if you run the ECM chart sequence it shows this). 

No it doesn’t?

BFTP

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
1 minute ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

No it doesn’t?

BFTP

Certainly doesn’t.. the dice is loaded.. for the Xmas period... and that isn’t a ramp -or massive overview...@intresting is an- understatement!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

No it doesn’t?

BFTP

Is that a statement or a question? Assuming the former I respectfully disagree as its clear from the two preceding ECM charts that its headed NE. It sure isn't going SE through the Iberian high. Even if it went through the channel it wouldn't change anything as its not a trigger low. That said, we will never know for certain as the next ECM charts will be completely different anyway. 

Edit: Don't be sad Cackerjack. Knowing ECM it will have a 1987 redux at day 10 tomorrow!

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

@Uncertainy  not sure the eps show that much snowfall for Xmas day across the uk

233FFE6E-7195-49AF-8E6E-8305BC777D76.thumb.jpeg.d1fee16260e50ae566934229bb61fd53.jpeg

Yes clearly not BA but I’d still rather have the pattern they broadly suggest and be in with a chance. Perhaps I should have suggested said White Xmas for ‘a few’ not ‘many’!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything other than drizzle

Everything slightly further north on this run so far. Needed it to go south really. 

12z

12z.png

18z

18z.png

Edited by Ventnor Viking
  • Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

No it doesn’t?

BFTP

Yes it does no it does'nt; are you two starting a pantomime show?

Showing actual charts would help those who may not understand, then they can make their own mind up.

I'll put a link in from Net Wx so folk can do just that. Please correct it if I put the wrong link in.

Thanks

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything other than drizzle

On the plus side the GFS is further east so could produce some eye candy in FI

12z

12z..png

18z

18z..png

Edited by Ventnor Viking

Posted
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The gfsp from this morning has finally updated and seems BFTP has been fiddling with the controls .... 

Wowzers some signal for blocking in never never land, oh well, never mind... 

Edited by Griff
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The gfsp from this morning has finally updated and seems BFTP has been fiddling with the controls .... 

Looks pretty good to me!

F9423D13-5BF4-45C0-B6CC-1C9B5ACEE8EB.png

6C724DBD-E5CF-4B3A-AC46-A7CC81A0A760.png

• Like 8

Posted

Pincer move to the north of low at 222.. seems to more heights over the Atlantic and scandi.. even a wedge?

be interesting how this goes in the run to Christmas.

image.thumb.png.057411e3623fab5382f16d9accb0e04b.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
6 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Pincer move to the north of low at 222.. seems to more heights over the Atlantic and scandi.. even a wedge?

be interesting how this goes in the run to Christmas.

image.thumb.png.057411e3623fab5382f16d9accb0e04b.png

Yes the continuing trend to re-strengthen the Scandi ridge very much in evidence again this run.

Seems to be helping slow the trough which in turn could help any amplification upstream.

18z V 12z

gfsnh-0-216.png?18gfsnh-0-222.png

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

I can only think it's because their supercomputer can't see any distinct groupings. Bit surprised tonight though, as when I scrolled through the 51 members individually, there seemed a big grouping going for a mid Atlantic high

That is strange. Maybe because good news is banned this year huh! Thank you for your thoughts. I must admit, I always sit up when I see your posts. Always very informative

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 hour ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

No it doesn’t?

BFTP

It does i am afraid, these ridges just are not gaining traction, just transient ridges within the overall zonal flow, a classic sign that the atmosphere just isn't primed, suggests the global teleconnections are weighted towards mid latitude ridges only, its a classic tell tale sign.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It does i am afraid, these ridges just are not gaining traction, just transient ridges within the overall zonal flow, a classic sign that the atmosphere just isn't primed, suggests the global teleconnections are weighted towards mid latitude ridges only, its a classic tell tale sign.

Could turn out that way certainly but worth remembering this is deep FI and GFS is prone to be over progressive the further out it gets.

We will need to see any Atlantic ridge being modelled consistently soon if there is any hope of some cold weather for Xmas though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
27 minutes ago, fellmike said:

Whats happened to that high over russia ? Thought we were in for easterly this weekend

The high over Russia has gone now, it was only ever going to deliver an easterly via promoting a SSW event and a lucky fall of the dice over the northern hemisphere.  That is off the table now.  

82E60E4E-3CBA-4FD2-9B8D-A1075BD321E8.thumb.jpeg.b4212f8b7c1f34b8fda70b9a9b7e8edf.jpeg

GFS pub run T270 shows what might be on the table if the Atlantic amplification coming from MJO forcing happens.  It might not though.  The table might look like this:

575F682A-6805-428F-8EAC-C31BA0C1933C.thumb.png.c3f84240aefa97f7d7e5c9819879fef9.png

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I would understand your point if there was more of a up and down snake like pattern to the gfs and ecm ext ens. However, there isn't. They just go one way. This could change of course but today the trend is clear as we approach Christmas. I think 'cold' is the watchword

Screenshot_20201212-210041.png

graphe3_1000___-0.12574_51.5085_Londres.png

• Like 3

Posted

Some interesting example of the resurgence of the Scandi ridge in GFS ensembles with this being one of the more dramatic.

gensnh-26-1-186.png

If it happens then we need the undercut and WAA to head toward Greenland like this.

• Like 1