Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter has arrived

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Extended eps clusters show something I’ve never seen before with three sets of 33%! 

That only adds up to 99 - which one had 34% or did they all have 33.3%?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
10 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

That only adds up to 99 - which one had 34% or did they all have 33.3%?

That only adds up to 99.9% - which one had 33.4%? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Certainly of interest to see the Atlantic troughs tending to be adjusted toward making less progress in the 3-5 day range. Perhaps GFS will follow suit tomorrow?

Reminds me of the glory winters of 2008-9 and 2009-10 in that respect. Back then, GFS' tendency to be too progressive was even stronger, while GEM had similar traits. ECM could be that way too, but tended to have the opposite behaviour in the 8-10 day range with too much 'wavy jet stream' going on. Some spectacular but rarely accurate charts used to come of of that!

Anyway, an unfortunate difference this year is that the high to our east as been more 'saggy-bottomed', drawing an exceptional amount of air up across Central and Eastern Europe from the Middle East or thereabouts. So, we find ourselves looking at scraps of cold air interacting with the Atlantic troughs, rather than broad areas of sufficiently cold, negative-dewpoint air.

It'll be scientifically interesting to see how much the big ridge manages to disrupt the Atlantic troughs when they're so lacking in the deep cold air that's been known to 'tilt the balance' at times in the past (deep cold air is denser than mild maritime air, making it more like a boulder than a mere stone in the stream).

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Yes mr pedant  

None look mild ....... everything remains on the table ....

Actually you could have been even more pedantic back and said 33.3 x 3 doesn't add up to 100%, its 33.33333 recurring digit!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tropical and Winter
9 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

That only adds up to 99.9% - which one had 33.4%? 

33.33333.......3333% and so on. Aka 1/3 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

@Steve Murr

was you driving whilst taking photos

here's hoping that the gfs switches to the ecm solution on the 18z soon but i feel that it will be in the morning before showing that.

• Like 3

Posted
31 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Extended eps clusters show something I’ve never seen before with three sets of 33%! 

Not quite sure what to make of the response from Ireland, but their met people are talking about a turty tree and a turd possibility .

10 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

@Steve Murr

was you driving whilst taking photos

here's hoping that the gfs switches to the ecm solution on the 18z soon but i feel that it will be in the morning before showing that.

Just a creep at 2 MPH - services mostly shut anyway  

Eyes down on for the 18s

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Looks like the ICON 18z is going down the slider route:

60203FBE-FF77-42CA-A1D4-84803B61D214.thumb.png.49410d6eb1f0147bfb099528bc524bf9.png

I think we do need a big retrogression of the main heights Scandi and Russia though before we can get a scenario that might deliver copious snow, so we wait for that...we will see...

• Like 3

Posted

interesting thoughts, i think we will see the low pressure system coming in from the west, with some cooler (not cold) and some very mild spells. This i feel will continue  all the way through to March, when we will see some colder weather from the east. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
4 minutes ago, dragan said:

interesting thoughts, i think we will see the low pressure system coming in from the west, with some cooler (not cold) and some very mild spells. This i feel will continue  all the way through to March, when we will see some colder weather from the east. 

Any reason for that mate? Any models backing that view? Or is it just a big old gut feeling?

image.thumb.png.d38e07bcde92a815472bf188a1590b47.png

Or are you just being all edgy? 

• Like 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.fddfad1c2d01bae030b58ca4e1ad7091.png

Signs of a brief warm up before a cool down on the GFS spaghetti. The op at the warm end of things. Being at the 'warm end' can often be a good thing but not this time thank you very much

Posted
39 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

There really have been some great posts in here in the last couple of days, thanks to everyone.  It all feels a bit weird, to be honest, to be starting winter without the usual Atlantic dross; the models are churning out good synoptics mainly, but cold air is in short supply.  And we discuss this against the backdrop of long range forecasts suggesting nothing but a mild winter.  I think they are wrong. I think they have over-egged La Niña and over and above that, have failed to notice that La Niña hasn’t really connected with the atmosphere anyway.

My assessment is for continuation of the blocking patterns throughout most of the rest of December with potential for snow, but with, unfortunately, a dearth of cold air to tap into, followed by a (brief or not so brief) Atlantic return, before a SSW which will lead to a much colder February.  We will see...

Agreed. You'd have to favour some kind of milder spell before the festive season but it ain't nailed yet. The ECM run threw that into doubt tonight along with the clusters

CFS v2 going for very cold weather from 19 Dec until the New Year although I know that's about as solid and reliable as my bladder after 4 beers

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
15 minutes ago, dragan said:

You could very well be right, but I suppose we’ll see how things go. Some colder conditions couldn’t be totally ruled out during Winter, even if it meant waiting for a while. 

Posted

ICON goes milder this evening but, hemispherically, it's not without interest

image.thumb.png.cd1670c0f98b38f86ec4f29c5fec29d4.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.
28 minutes ago, dragan said:

Well that’s winter sorted then.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Scotch egg run rolling!  T90, compared to 12z T96:

C0C7A6F5-9AD5-4E2C-A562-2FD516B6A317.thumb.png.2121849fc7649d5140d134d1fbaac77d.png90D22ED2-6DC2-4D71-9983-DD893B435CC9.thumb.png.f12634e62d24ac584149ea4e65ec0548.png

18z doesn’t phase the lows on the incoming jet stream, so this will be a better run with sliders to come...

Or maybe not!  

Edit, just going to bulldoze through anyway, T132:

92D082B7-E64F-41F4-AEB7-051C42B03D78.thumb.png.1484828dce7dc5fb053127e139e97435.png

One for the bin, i think...

Edited by Mike Poole

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

GFS sticking to its guns this evening:

d5>>gfseu-0-120.thumb.png.7a0cad61a53c395c7d985e22df6e57b3.png

We can see the interaction, force -v- force which should pump up the Russian high even more! This is the third run in a row with the GFS going this direction so will be interesting to see how all this unfolds on this run in case GFS is right?

• Like 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.c29c74aed94b5bc95b30c3c3c31b80a4.png

Ouch, not pretty

image.thumb.png.aec9a678bd640f671a0f91b3f57c84f8.png

Stark differences between GFS and ECM.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
7 minutes ago, IDO said:

GFS sticking to its guns this evening:

d5>>gfseu-0-120.thumb.png.7a0cad61a53c395c7d985e22df6e57b3.png

We can see the interaction, force -v- force which should pump up the Russian high even more! This is the third run in a row with the GFS going this direction so will be interesting to see how all this unfolds on this run in case GFS is right?

Oh, I see a bit of a change in the 18z gfs up to T+120 when compared to the previous run. Not massive, but certainly significant regarding the heights to the north of Scotland. And I am not looking at 850’s which are not relevant.....at least not yet.

Edit remember the changes up to this point are more important than what comes after

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.

These GFS runs are about as popular as tier 3...

4B0CD4C9-6A78-4CA6-A344-1A12A3C4D8E6.png

• Like 3