Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

December 2015 - 5 Years on

Summer18

Posted

I always think of December 2015 being the warm equivalent extreme of December 2010.  December 2010 and the same month five years later are just about as far at the most extreme end of weather patterns that it is possible to get in the UK.  

I wonder, although it is probably unlikely, what the chances are of a repeat of December 2010; before that the last time we saw something similar in December was in 1890.  Although unlike 2010, in 1890-91, I believe that there was further cold weather after December, whereas in 2010 the cold broke after Christmas, and it never really returned during the rest of the winter.

With regard to a repeat of the same month five years later, when you consider that it was 1.6*C warmer than any other December in the CET record, I think there is a good chance of that all time warm December CET record standing at least until after 2100.

Edited by North-Easterly Blast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
2 hours ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

In all winters since 2012-13, only winter 2017-18 brought anything close to an average winter, with most others being in the very mild category.  Adding on top of this, most winters of the last 33 years have been milder than what would have been average prior to that.

Winter 2014/15 definitely was close to average.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
3 hours ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

I always think of December 2015 being the warm equivalent extreme of December 2010.  December 2010 and the same month five years later are just about as far at the most extreme end of weather patterns that it is possible to get in the UK.  

I wonder, although it is probably unlikely, what the chances are of a repeat of December 2010; before that the last time we saw something similar in December was in 1890.  Although unlike 2010, in 1890-91, I believe that there was further cold weather after December, whereas in 2010 the cold broke after Christmas, and it never really returned during the rest of the winter.

With regard to a repeat of the same month five years later, when you consider that it was 1.6*C warmer than any other December in the CET record, I think there is a good chance of that all time warm December CET record standing at least until after 2100.

The last time we saw a month similar to December 2010 was not in 1890 but in 1981.Not only that but in your area area 1981  was actually colder than 2010 and had far more snow!

Posted
2 hours ago, hillbilly said:

The last time we saw a month similar to December 2010 was not in 1890 but in 1981.Not only that but in your area area 1981  was actually colder than 2010 and had far more snow!

I think that in December 1981 the severe cold did not set in until about the 8th of that month after a fairly average start, but eased in the final days, so although the cold was extreme when it came, the month's CET did not come out sub zero, although was still around the ninth coldest on record.  So although Dec 1981 saw the same idea of pattern as 2010, it was not as extreme in length as Dec 2010.

Posted
3 hours ago, Relativistic said:

Winter 2014/15 definitely was close to average.

I think it is down to the fact that winter 2014-15 is not remembered as a particularly cold winter, as the cold weather that did occur was nothing more out of the ordinary than what could be expected in an average winter and snowfall was reserved for favoured areas rather than being particularly widespread.  Nontheless winter 2014-15 was less mild than many others since 2012-13.  I actually think that the cold weather that occurred in 2017-18 was more potent than in 2014-15.

Posted

Thank goodness events of 5 Dec 2015 didn't  happen today after the misery we've endured in 2020. Indeed dont want to jinx things but the weather in the main has been on our side this year and behaved very well indeed! Unusual in itself or a mere coincidence.

5 Dec 2015 was a Saturday, by early afternoon many rivers were in full flow and homes were being flooded.. what a awful day.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

For me I remember December 2015 for its exceptional rainfall rather than it’s mildness. Don’t get me wrong it was very mild nonetheless. I had an average high in my area of 9.7.C when the average is 6.8.C and a minimum of 4.3.C when the minimum is -0.2.C. Both 1988 and even 2016 were milder in my area. I think the general mild, or even warmness was more concentrated to England and Wales rather than Scotland. We did have a few cold spells.

I remember we started the month with quite a bit of snow which rapidly disappeared by the 4th and the 5th was a deluge with unbelievable heavy rain all day. We had a brief respite on the 6th and from then on it was mild and wet. We had quite a cold snap albeit brief between the 11th-13th where it got down to -6.C and gave a respite from the rain, it soon returned and the temperatures shot up. The 19th was the warmest day in my area that month giving a high of 15.4.C which I believe is a record. But despite that it remained misty, windy and damp. We had another very brief cool and dry snap just after Christmas before another deluge on the 30th which then let on into January 2016.