Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Winter 2020/21 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
    1 hour ago, DCee said:

So far I have beaten every forecaster on the model thread, by simply being realistic and pragmatic with the data.

It’s not difficult is it considering some of the ridiculous posts I’ve read on there. Realistic and pragmatic is the way forward. That’s why I prefer this thread over the MOD.

• Like 2
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 1.5k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have heard from a reliable source that henceforth the European high will be known as 'Prozac Ridge'

I’m just wondering rather than having model verification stats, we should perhaps have poster verification stats. That way we can see who it’s worth paying attention to and who to disregard.....just a

Yes, I agree. I wanted snow as much as anyone but along with others was never enthused with this spell. I don't claim any crystal ball or magical abilities, but I can (most of the time) read a chart a

Posted Images

Posted
    2 minutes ago, Youcan'tbecirrus said:

I am in a similar location Steve but for the short term seems to me the Beeb are definitely saying rain. I notice they say unsettled later this week so perhaps some hope there. I have been watching these models for probably 15- 20 years myself and, based on no scientific knowledge (which is why I prefer to just read what knowledgeable posters like yourself and a few others say) whatsoever, seemingly when it comes to winter prospects unless it is in the T72 range the chances of things going "wrong" are quite high. The almost total flip around in the models (ECM/UKMO) last night v this morning being just another example. Like I say though no scientific knowledge at all to back up that judgement.         

BEEB change there forecast every day😂 - don’t take it literally, they tend to use old data too.

BEEB never get things right😂 especially temps!

• Like 3
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

BEEB change there forecast every day😂 - don’t take it literally, they tend to use old data too.

BEEB never get things right😂 especially temps!

Well it would certainly be great to see them get it wrong this time. Hasn't it often been said that they have access to data the public don't get to see ? 

Posted

Who'd have thought, eh? January 3rd, a nagging NE wind today, feels cold, at 4c, but cant help thinking of years gone by when a 'fetch' such as today would've seen temps at freezing, even in middle of the day. Seems such a 'waste'.

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
    29 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Who'd have thought, eh? January 3rd, a nagging NE wind today, feels cold, at 4c, but cant help thinking of years gone by when a 'fetch' such as today would've seen temps at freezing, even in middle of the day. Seems such a 'waste'.

Also a total waste of the money being burnt on heating.

Damp,chilly Easterly winds are a total waste of Winter weather.

I appreciate some are seeing transient snowfall from what's on offer right now,but that doesn't cut the mustard for me either.

Controversial this, but I would rather raging Zonality to this..

A few named storms,thunder and hail..a few surprises that deep Lows tearing from West to East can bring.

Winter preferences for me, like most here are proper cold with snowfall or if that fails  cold,crisp and frost with blue sky days.

Edited by sunnijim
    • Like 2
    Posted

Just seen an extended weekly BBC forecast. Strong east- north east winds with rain/sleet and temperatures of 4-5 in January. 

• Like 1
    Posted
    7 minutes ago, saintkip said:

Just seen an extended weekly BBC forecast. Strong east- north east winds with rain/sleet and temperatures of 4-5 in January. 

Some cold spell this is turning out to be. Bring back the Atlantic, at least it will save on my gas bill. 

• Like 3
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, YellowSnow said:

Some cold spell this is turning out to be. Bring back the Atlantic, at least it will save on my gas bill. 

I work outside so this is going to be a horrible  week of dull damp pointless cold weather. I agree I’d rather the Atlantic.

• Like 1
    Posted

Oh well after all the promise shown by the models last week I end up with this for the coming week zzzz - ho hum - roll on spring 

63EDBBA8-3D85-464E-8979-FF0682259082.png

• Like 1
    Posted
    20 minutes ago, YellowSnow said:

Lack of deep cold air to our NE and over NW Europe has been the problem from day one!

Russian high surely the main culprit, pumping warmer air up from Med?

Still lots of uncertainty about end of this coming week and loads of time for changes during January with fascinating SSW events.

Keep the faith guys!

Edited by snowblizzard
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
    3 hours ago, John88B said:

Exactly Sheldon. The brain remembers the cold, snowy winters and the long, hot  summers, like the summer of 76 for example, but forgets all the mundane, normal weather in between. This fools us into believing every childhood winter was cold and snowy and every summer was a long and hot.

The truth is that 95% of our weather is rather dull and mundane.

That is not quite true.It really depends how old you are.If you are older say my parents age ,they were kids in 1947,teenagers in 1955,twenties in 1963,exlerienced the cold 60s winters and all those cold and snowy winters from 1976 to 1987,throw in 1990 and 1995 and you have seen a lot of bad winters.Yes for them winters are not the same ,yes we have had 2010,2013 and 2018 but the rest since the mid 1990s are definately milder.We did have less snow and cold in the early 1970s but you can pull out winters today which have been almost snowless even here in the pennines.At the moment i cannot complain as we have had at least 3 snowfalls here  where last year i think was late January befor we got anything  and at least 2010,2013 and 2018 gives us some hope but i do fear we will at some point have a snowless winter here,if we have had one before i dont know where it resided in history.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    Posted
    49 minutes ago, saintkip said:

I work outside so this is going to be a horrible  week of dull damp pointless cold weather. I agree I’d rather the Atlantic.

I used to work outside all the time and there’s nothing worse than this kind of weather. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.

And it’s all starting to fall apart in the model thread as the children realise that we are not in for another winter of ‘63 😂. Got the popcorn out and finger on refresh 🍿🤏🔄 - that forum really should be moderated better OR have an minimum age limit of 21!

• Like 2
    • Thanks 1
    Posted
    58 minutes ago, YellowSnow said:

I used to work outside all the time and there’s nothing worse than this kind of weather. 

not to bad if it's dry

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

IMHO, there’s a fair chance of many places seeing some snow this week and then later, some major effects from a significant SSW to await. This cooler spell was never forecast to be ‘snowmaggeddon’, so why there is so much toy throwing is beyond me. Even some saying bring back the Atlantic, no thank you. A cold, sunny high would be nice, though.

Edited by stainesbloke
    Posted
    3 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

Agreed and UK winters are only heading in one direction.

• Like 1
    Posted
    48 minutes ago, Barmada_Casten said:

And it’s all starting to fall apart in the model thread as the children realise that we are not in for another winter of ‘63 😂. Got the popcorn out and finger on refresh 🍿🤏🔄 - that forum really should be moderated better OR have an minimum age limit of 21!

Too right. Winters over, uk winters will never be the same, blah blah. Doommongering as normal. 

Posted

I love a good snowfall and as yet all I’ve seen is a bit of wet snow followed by rain. If that’s all we’re gonna get then bring on the mild dry weather anyday! 

Posted

Yep its all gone the shape of the pear in the MAD thread ... the latest UKMO run and their  extended forecast has put a dagger into the chance of any severe wintry weather  certainly in the next two weeks.. the obsession with SSW is most peculiar ..not sure most of them  understand how it works ...not he banker it was supposed to be!1 ..back to climatology

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 hour ago, Barmada_Casten said:

It’s hilariously entertaining as an onlooker, but people that are genuinely trying to learn about the weather it’s a disgrace and half the posts need removing. Too many armchair experts I’m afraid. 

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    2 minutes ago, YellowSnow said:

It’s hilariously entertaining as an onlooker, but people that are genuinely trying to learn about the weather it’s a disgrace and half the posts need removing. Too many armchair experts I’m afraid. 

It seems as if the MOD thread is in serious need of your scintillating input, YS?😁

• Like 3
    Posted
    1 minute ago, General Cluster said:

It seems as if the MOD thread is in serious need of your scintillating input, YS?😁

I’ll leave the kindergarten to the children thank you👍

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    Posted

Had enough of the model thread for now!

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow & long hot summers

I called this days ago. 

Standard Atlantic fair until SSW outcome late Jan into Feb. 

For what it's worth the SSW might bring some calm weather for the UK with a high on or close by for the remainder of Feb. I would take that.

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, hot weather, dry, mild, gale force winds
    17 minutes ago, YellowSnow said:

I'm very new to all this - what are they saying in the thread that is so egregious? I have noticed they always say it's 10 days away every 10 days or so...

• Like 1