Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

Just measuring the huge falls in Stevenage after this memorable event! I think I just saw Reed Timmer flying up the M1!

CCDBDFF9-A195-4831-9C78-3C9E9B9274A3.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Just measuring the huge falls in Stevenage after this memorable event! I think I just saw Reed Timmer flying up the M1!

CCDBDFF9-A195-4831-9C78-3C9E9B9274A3.jpeg

Lol, largely the event has produced what was expected. No one was expecting snowmaggedon, 2-3cm fairly widely 5-10cm+ very locally from the initial band W mids Wales. Marginal in the south later todau.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Lol, largely the event has produced what was expected. No one was expecting snowmaggedon, 2-3cm fairly widely 5-10cm+ very locally from the initial band W mids Wales. Marginal in the south later todau.

Goes back to the comments I made yeste day. Your location matters, an event like this always has less chance of being a bust up here, in this new WFH world why not dial in from up here in the snowy North rather than the South? If you not willing to move somewhere naturally colder, why do you have the right to koan when a marginal event stays sleety/rainy? 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

To be fair though mate - 90% of the population have seen nothing so it’s not really an event. It’s raining in the south west and south coast and dry for the remaining 70%. I love your enthusiasm but you need to remember your audience, most people don’t live in the Pennines or north york. moors. In densely populated areas it’s only really a small part of the midlands seeing anything . Love the enthusiasm though mate and good to have you back on the forum ?? If it wasn’t for lockdown I’d probably be in Buxton or Edale now ??

1530A44D-21A6-4FA5-B75D-06B735FC0DF3.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Tim Bland said:

To be fair though mate - 90% of the population have seen nothing so it’s not really an event. It’s raining in the south west and south coast and dry for the remaining 70%. I love your enthusiasm but you need to remember your audience, most people don’t live in the Pennines or north york. moors. In densely populated areas it’s only really a small part of the midlands seeing anything . Love the enthusiasm though mate and good to have you back on the forum ?? If it wasn’t for lockdown I’d probably be in Buxton or Edale now ??

Nice to know the Midlands now encompasses all the way up to Lancashire. Geography syllabuses must be rewritten!!!! 

I agree it's not a widespread classic, however this neither was a high ground classic. Parts of lowland Cheshire got 5x more than Buxton, so the argument that this is "not an event" seems bizzare, certainly from a statistical perspective. It caught my attention due to it's pivotting & evap cooling. Congleton 100m 5cm Knutsford 30m 4cm. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Nice to know the Midlands now encompasses all the way up to Lancashire. Geography syllabuses must be rewritten!!!! 

My bad. I always thought Lancashire was north & North west of Manchester...please enlighten me on.how much of lancashire is under this precip What’s your post code I’ll send reed Timmer and the news crew

6896B48C-94FA-4F41-A1D1-42FD229A3659.jpeg

Posted

My bad. I always thought Lancashire was north & North west of Manchester...please enlighten me on.how much of lancashire is under this precip What’s your post code I’ll send reed Timmer and the news crew

6896B48C-94FA-4F41-A1D1-42FD229A3659.jpeg

We got 5cm from the streamer that set up just in front of this yesterday afternoon and evening. Generally a snow event encompasses both the streamers and the main low (which went a little bit to the south of us overnight) It's within the same 24 hour period and all part of the same cold air wave. 

Obviously this not being London, 5cm of snow is not national news for us.... 

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
10 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Probably a good job as there's no snow here in Buxton

Posted
5 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

I agree it's not a widespread classic, however this neither was a high ground classic. Parts of lowland Cheshire got 5x more than Buxton, so the argument that this is "not an event" seems bizzare, certainly from a statistical perspective. It caught my attention due to it's pivotting & evap cooling. Congleton 100m 5cm Knutsford 30m 4cm. 

It’s not an ‘event’ for the Uk it’s an event for knutsford, a small pet of Cheshire  and congleton which is probably 2% of the population This is a national forum, hence my comment about remembering your audience....95% of whom are looking out the window this morning wondering what all the fuss was about 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

I know it's going to be cold/get colder so don't shoot me, but when you just look at the charts you'd expect us to be in the freezer and anything falling out of the sky to be white with none of this marginality.

Unfortunately the cold air just isn't there for us, to get this pattern and then the lack of cold to tap into is such a shot in the foot.

Even if we manage to get the easterly in over the weekend, it's also not overly cold and probably won't deliver the snow we'd expect due to the warm North Sea mixing out the uppers.

It's all just so frustrating. We wait so long for this sort of pattern, and now the cold air just isn't there to tap into. All just feels like such a waste.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

It’s not an ‘event’ for the Uk it’s an event for knutsford, a small pet of Cheshire  and congleton which is probably 2% of the population This is a national forum, hence my comment about remembering your audience....95% of whom are looking out the window this morning wondering what all the fuss was about 

Except as pointed out above this event delivered to Blackburn, Burnley, Preston and even slight further inland than that through the streamer yesterday. 

The same amount of snow as we got yesterday would be national news in Kent or Essex. When I'm on my PC rather than phone I'll grab the radar pic from yesterday. 

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

To be fair, as an observer it's clear to see that this is just the beginning of a notable cold spell.  I saw no fuss.  Just the beginning for some snow starved people.  If people are let down, perhaps they should have been a little reserved.  For me, yesterday it got colder and that's just the beginning.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Probably a good job as there's no snow here in Buxton

Blimey, if some of Peak District is bare it really is a localized event. @Deep Snow please it’s not about London or even the south east. As per above it’s about 90% of the population who don’t live in this area - and even some in this area eg Buxton.. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think the confusion has come as a result of overuse of the term 'event': the Great Blizzard of late December 1962 is still remembered by those of who lived through it; ditto, for the St Valentine's Day whopper of 1979...  But who'll remember todays 'event', in 20 years' time?

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Wrong Tim... Birmingham the second largest city in U.K. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Except as pointed out above this event delivered to Blackburn, Burnley, Preston and even slight further inland than that through the streamer yesterday. 

The same amount of snow as we got yesterday would be national news in Kent or Essex. When I'm on my PC rather than phone I'll grab the radar pic from yesterday. 

It’s about population density. National news know their audience and will play news that effects the majority of their audience. It’s also relative. 5cm of snow in central London is big news as it’s very rare. 5cm of snow in Aberdeen would not even get a mention on the news. It’s a bit like 0c in parts of Norway would be referred to as ‘mild’ in January where as in the Uk it oils be called ‘bitterly cold’ it’s all relative! My point above before this went off on a Tangent was to Kasim about doing his snow warnings and generalizing to a national forum about an ‘event’ when to 90% of the population there was no event. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Blimey, if some of Peak District is bare it really is a localized event. @Deep Snow please it’s not about London or even the south east. As per above it’s about 90% of the population who don’t live in this area - and even some in this area eg Buxton.. 

The point is if it was localised to a tiny part of the south east it would be national news. I'll probably remember it in 20 years time. 

And as shown above, Birmingham is getting pasted. If London got a fraction of that snow it would be national news. North of the Watford gap however and the press don't care. 

The southern bias in snow reporting exists, and I've every right to call it out. 

Posted

It’s about population density. National news know their audience and will play news that effects the majority of their audience. It’s also relative. 5cm of snow in central London is big news as it’s very rare. 5cm of snow in Aberdeen would not even get a mention on the news. It’s a bit like 0c in parts of Norway would be referred to as ‘mild’ in January where as in the Uk it oils be called ‘bitterly cold’ it’s all relative! My point above before this went off on a Tangent was to Kasim about doing his snow warnings and generalizing to a national forum about an ‘event’ when to 90% of the population there was no event. 

Yeah see the above about Birmingham and shut uo about pop density. 

5cm here is a rarity, so that doesn't work on that score either. 

It's about everyone in the national press living in Surrey Heath.... 

Posted

Birmingham just over 1 million. UK = 67 million. Looking at the precip type it looks like only the elevated areas of the Birmingham area to the west saw anything, so probably half a million 

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

Ah the dreaded 1c and rain.....first of many occurrences this week, models looks devoid of snow down here. 

I fear more of that to come too!

So frustrating that we have a virtual dream set-up developing but the lack of very cold air around UK will mean another 'close but no cigar'.

Hopefully, we'll see more favourable developments in terms of lower 850's appearing in the models during the next few days.

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Birmingham just over 1 million. UK = 67 million

And? The population of the sub central region of London is 1.5m and you can guarantee if everywhere else but them in London got rain and they got 5cm of snow it would still be news..... 

The population of the west Midlands is 3m anyway, which is a fairer comparison to greater London. You can deny the bias all you want, but it exists, and it's rather insulting for a southerner to claim it doesn't. Applies to other news not just snow...