Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
3 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Recurring theme.

Its a topic thats created noise on twitter.

Angular momentum has consitently been under modelled. 

Leading to wave events being under modelled.

This is the first genuine looking post ssw run ive seen.

I think it's too early for the SSW to kick in, I'm thinking more like late january/ early februrary.  

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Were already on day 5/6 of a cold spell buddy. Snow has fallen in several places. Some look to get lucky due to an upgrade in uppers on the easterly and were trying to find consensus on a low dropping due south from the arctic.

Everything has tickled along just as expected with the ssw the final and potentially coldest piece of the jigsaw just coming into view

Cheers for the reply Scott. Our area (North bucks) has had snow on a number of the models at  10 days but these have never come to fruition...so I'm curious as to if the ones at 10 days now will ever come to reality. Feels like chasing an impossible dream always out of touch until it disappears totally. Perhaps I'm too pessimistic 

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, Chiltern_Blizzard said:

Cheers for the reply Scott. Our area (North bucks) has had snow on a number of the models at  10 days but these have never come to fruition...so I'm curious as to if the ones at 10 days now will ever come to reality. Feels like chasing an impossible dream always out of touch until it disappears totally. Perhaps I'm too pessimistic 

The nature of this spell is slow burner.

Most havnt seen snow yet but chances are only going to increase from tuesday onwards. I wouldnt rule out a few cms for the upcoming easterly but as ever its down to a bit of luck. Next Friday/Saturday shows potential for more widespread snow heading south from the arctic and i favour low pressure bumping into cold air as runners across the channel which would also put you in the game. Youve just been unlucky so far with your location

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

so for anyone that looks at the forecast for a need to work or go out etc and they look at the bbc website or the met office site and they would not have a clue whats going to happen, here tonight for example, BBC have a weather warning for Lincs for snow and it should be snowing right now, Met office have no warning, temps rising with heavy rain due later.  confused.com, lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Quite a snowfall in Cheshire today despite bbc weather app not forecasting it and was only showing cloud and rain symbols from 1500 onwards.  BBC app which was once considered a reliable weather app has now become one of the worst weather apps, probably the worst one ive got. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Bartlett High will be welcome.

ignore this! quarantine, do not want boring weather, shouldn't be giving a reaction though, as assume this post was meant for

• Like 1

Posted

Got a good hour of snow this afternoon here in Lincs and the kids were nearly  able to make a snowdwarf. I see the models are now ‘struggling’ so I assume we’re well on track for 12 degrees and raging south-westerlies this time next week. 

Edited by HellItsHot
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

ignore this! quarantine, do not want boring weather, shouldn't be giving a reaction though, as assume this post was meant for

Not really - with hospitals struggling with Covid, the last thing they need is bad weather-related problems.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Good evening all,

There's been a few posts about the wheels coming off this 'cool' spell.

I agree with this and it is frustrating, especially at the moment when most of us here desperately want snow during the lockdowns. 

I will say though that some expectations may have been a tad too high after some tasty model runs. Last winter was a complete no show so any hint of cold is likely to be latched onto more than if the previous winter was colder. This applies not just to forum posters but also anyone else who wants good weather. I remember February 2012 which had a cold spell with snow lying for over a week down here in Kent, but was not grabbed as much since the previous two winters had some very seasonal weather. In other words many weren't as bothered about snow back then.

I will say, the charts have looked amazing and this winter is already better than last year, but really it'll only turn out as average with a couple of cool / cold spells. Yes I'm sure most will see snow at some point between now and April, (SSW may help) but hardly anything out of the ordinary.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Well not much to get excited about in lowland Berkshire which seems to be escaping the snowfall from Northerly setups. 

We need Easterlies and Thames estuary setups to benefit instead of flimsy Northerly ones!

• Like 1

Posted

I suggest all the snow lovers take a trip up to Dudley. Monday morning woke up to 3 inches of it. Tuesday morning another 2 inches. This morning an hour of heavy snow. Maybe another half inch. Tonight another 1/2 inches. Bloody sick of sweeping my drive off. 

Posted
2 hours ago, HellItsHot said:

Would i be right in thinking that the current set up 20 or 30 years ago would have given a lot of snow for a lot of the country? 

Is climate change that immediate? 

No this has absolutely no bearing on this situation. The cold is there its just pushed over the other side of the globe. 

Posted
2 hours ago, HellItsHot said:

Would i be right in thinking that the current set up 20 or 30 years ago would have given a lot of snow for a lot of the country? 

Is climate change that immediate? 

I don't think it would have given it to all the country (showery setup) but there might not have been the random nature of the rain and snow like there has been round here and in some other places. Depends on the mood of the weather is alI can guess; I'm not sure its totally due to warming tbh, December 2017 produced the deepest snow in over 30 years from a similar setup to post-Bella while everyone on here (at least those aged over 20)  knows about the fail of Feb 2005 from 2 weeks of Easterlies and low uppers. There were several times in the late 90s when we had the rain/sleet/nonsticking snow in Shrewsbury with snow cover everywhere else (or so it seemed), that was when I first really noticed it. Although the dry here and snow elsewhere I noticed earlier. 91/2 was a winter without snow practically all over the country so it seems that wasn't a marginal one. But early March 1995 and especially March 2006 did well for snow with conditions that seemed more marginal than those the past week.

UK high leading to unprecedented cold for most of Europe? Eastern Europe especially. This could well be the outcome of an SSW. That would be very bad luck for the UK.

Could swing the other way of course, but statistical not as likely...

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Under the assumption that a genuinely cold easterly takes place next week as is currently forecast, if I could have one request it would be that these two trough thingys (which I have highlighted on the chart below) that I have just noticed, with horror, on two Fax charts for next Tuesday 00z & 12z, do not put in an appearance:

1308283936_TroughThingy2.thumb.png.3921b42d036cd809b66d3617e0ac7554.png

This is because these features became established in almost almost identical positions in both the late November/early December 2010 and March 2018 easterlies, where for the duration of the said easterlies they persistently channelled all the showers into two unrelenting horizontal lines to the north and the south of here leaving a green gap in the middle (also highlighted on the chart above above), where no more than a dusting was ever permitted to accumulate. I believe even places much further east than here in Cambridgeshire and Norfolk suffered a similar fate for days on end, which quite honestly is laughable in a supposed snowy winter easterly.

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Time for folk to wake up and smell the coffee instead of fantasising on charts that aren’t going to happen.

As for significant snowfall for southern areas this looks to be something that could disappear over time with global warming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Looking like the warm up in relative terms is to happen next weekend then. Can't remember a time when gfs outwitted a joint ukmo and ecm joint ticket!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
25 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Time for folk to wake up and smell the coffee instead of fantasising on charts that aren’t going to happen.

As for significant snowfall for southern areas this looks to be something that could disappear over time with global warming.

Glad I'm the age that I am, and have lived through some exceptional winters from the 60s onwards. 

Winters these days seem like a lot of other things in life, watered down and a little bit pathetic really. 

• Like 3